Status: In the process of being re-posted.

I Can Taste The Failure On Your Lips

Part Eighteen

I didn’t have to be at the library to find Kaite; she wouldn’t be volunteering during the holidays anyways. Every Saturday, she had to go to anger management, and they were held at the church on Copper St.

She looked at me with surprise and annoyance in her eyes as she walked down the sidewalk to her car. If I hadn’t been parked right next to her, I would’ve been ignored again. She pulled her keys out of her pocket and stood infront of me. She had her rms crossed and a frown on her lips.

“D’yeh need somethin’?” She asked before sliding a cigarette between her lips. “I’ve got some place to be, so if yeh do, yeh need to be makin’ it quick.”

“That’s a lie, Kaite.” It was. Everytime Kaite told a lie her right eyebrown arched a little. I didn’t have to know her that well to figure that out. I once asked her if the coffee in the coffee machine at the library was any good, she said yes, her eyebrow arched, and the coffee tasted like complete shit. “Can we go somewhere? I would like to talk to. I’ll buy, if that makes any difference.”

I knew Kaite couldn’t pass up a free offer, so she nodded her head and got in her car, signaling me to follow her.

When we got to The Blue Moon Café, I would’ve sworn that we were just going to sit there at our small booth in silence, until the place closed. Kaite cupped her hands around her coffee cup and kept her eyes glued to the marble table top. I just took in my surroundings, people watching and what not. Kaite then cleared her throat and looked up at me, as if she was about to say something, but then she just shook her head and looked back down.

“Curtis and I dated.” She said. She was stirring her coffee with a spoon, and wouldn’t look at me. “It were last year, for almost seven months.” She looked up at me like she was expecting me to say something. I didn’t, I just kept watching her, wanting to know more, and how things ended. “We met at my friend’s birthday party and then we fell in love. He became a part of the band, and I cheated on ‘im. He were never there, and I were lonely. It were a bad decision, one that I never should’ve made.” Again, she looked up at me. “Aaron and I were good friends, and with Curtis gone, and me drunk, there were nothin’ stoppin’ us. When I woke up the next mornin’ in Aaron’s room, all I could think of were Curtis, and what would happen if he ever found out. He did, and he left me. I was utterly and completely crushed.”

After the story of their break up, Kaite continued to tell me about all the hapy times, the sad times, and the angry times that they had shared. ‘He helped her up when she thought that her legs were broken. He helped her see when she thought that she was blind’. She was still in love with Curtis, and she was trying to send me down a guilt trip. I don’t know if Kaite was trying to get me to feel sorry for her so that maybe I would break up with Curtis so that she could have him and be happy, but there was no way in the world that I was going to do that.

If it was going to come in between Kaite and I’s friendship then so be it. She screwed up, she cheated on him, he didn’t deserve it, and he dumped her. That’s her fault. If Curtis wanted her back, then I think that they would be together. Right?

“I’m sorry for avoidin’ yeh.” She said, taking my hand. “Are we still friends?”

“Of course.” I replied. “I’m sorry for what happened between you and Curtis. I honestly had no clue.”

“Nah, yeh don’t ‘ave to be apologizin’ to me. He’s yours now. Don’t screw it up, he’s a great guy.”

===

Anna had invited me to go to a New Year’s party with her.

I would’ve thought that with Matt out of town, I wouldn’t ave been alone.

Proves to show that I always ‘should’ve known’ these things, before hand.

Anna left me in the kitchen to join Matt Kean and a couple of her other friends to go play some game involviong alcohol. Since I didn’t drink, I waited it out, in hopes that she would return soon. Then, I saw her, Tom and Lee stumbling off somewhere. So, I sat there, head in my palm, observing the party life, as usual.

Though, when a man, clearly drunk of his ass came up to me asking me if I wanted to go someplace private, I got up to leave, pushing myself through thick amounts of people to the front door.

When I got out to the front porch, however, I heard someone laughing behind me. “Yeh lookin’ miserable.”

I turned to see Oliver standing against the house with a clear bottle in his hand. The last time I had seen him, was earlier tonight, escorting a petite blonde up the stairs. “I am.”

“Yeh want to go somewhere?”

“Where?” I asked. It couldn’t have been any worse than this place.

“Anywhere.”

If he would’ve been anyone else I would’ve just pushed him away and been on my way to my car. But, he wasn’t anyone else, he was Oliver Sykes, and the way he said the word ‘anywhere’ with those mud green eyes, made my stomach do flips. I’m guessing he took my silence as a yes, because the next thing I knew he was leading me down the front proch steps, across the lawn, and to his car.
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks to This Providence for the inspiring.