Status: In the process of being re-posted.

I Can Taste The Failure On Your Lips

Part Eight

It must’ve been a power trip, because in reality, I would’ve never been doing this. The first time I went, it was because I wanted to see how things would go, and because well, it was the first time I had ever really been invited by a strikingly handsome boy to go anywhere. The second time I went, I wasn’t exactly quite sure. Sure, Curtis invited me to come back whenever I wanted to, and yeah, I did want to go back. But, the real reason I was going was because I wanted to know what Oliver’s problem was. I had to admit, he was the hottest one out of all of them, and the first time he ever looked at me (that one time) it kind of made me weak. But, he was an asshole, or so that’s what he put himself out to be.

Over the last week he had really bugged me. I didn’t do anything wrong to him. I never even said a word to him, and he goes off and ignores me? Maybe I was just over-reacting, but if I was, how come everyone else was so nice, and he wasn’t? Maybe that’s just the way he is. Though, I found it quite hard that someone is just born an asshole.

I pulled up in Oli’s driveway, and walked back to the garage. They weren’t practicing. Instead, they were all just sitting around, drinking some beers and talking. A girl sat in Matt Nicholls’ lap, his arms were wrapped around her middle, and she had a can of beer in her hand. She noticed me first, and waved.

Then, Curtis, Lee, and Oli turned their heads to look at me. Lee waved and Curtis got up taking a few steps toward me. I was only looking at Oli though, it was only the second time our eyes had connected, and it only lasted a good two and a half seconds, before he turned back around.

“Hey Curtis, can I talk to you for a second?” I asked. I came there to talk to Oli, but those two and a half seconds made me change my mind.

“Sure.” He said, joining me at my side. “Wha’s up?”

I pulled him down toward my car. “Does he hate me or something?” I asked.

“Who?” He asked. Who else?

I pointed to the garage. “Oli.” His face dropped.

“Oh.” He sighed. “I don’t know.”

“Well, why is he so mean?” I asked, trying another approach.

“Well, when yeh came over the first time, he was drunk.” Well, that explains the first time. “And then when yeh came over to watch our practice, he was ‘ungover, and he didn’t really want to be there.”

“It’s his house isn’t it? Couldn’t he have just gone inside and got some sleep?” I knew Curtis was bullshitting me, and I knew he knew what was up. I didn’t know why he wasn’t telling me.

“I don’t know, Delia. He’s shy. Tha’s the best answer I can give yeh.”

I crossed my arms up over my chest and sighed. “Ugh.”

He smiled. “‘Tis okay, don’t worry about ‘im, Okay?” He slung his arm over my shoulder and we walked back to the garage. I sat on the couch in between him and Lee.

The girl was Matt’s new girlfriend. Her name was Anna, and my first impression of her was sweet and innocent. But, throughout the next thirty minuets that I was there, I learned that she was anything but. She was pretty though, and even though she wasn’t the most lady-like girl in the country, she was nice, and I could see what Matt liked about her. “Do yeh drink, Delia?” She asked. She came to sit beside me, when everyone else went to go play beer pong.

“I don’t.” I replied. “Never really have either.”

“Oh, why not?”

“Everyone else in my family does, I just wanted to be different, I guess.” I shrugged my shoulders.

“I feel yeh. Cheers to being different.” She held up her can and took a big gulp out of it. “So ‘ow long ‘ave yeh known the boys?”

“Almost two months. How long have you known Matt?”

“Two days.” She giggled.

“Anna, you’re up!” Matt K. yelled. A few moments later he stumbled out and fell onto the loveseat.

“Well, I ‘ave to go. Nice chattin’ with yeh.” I nodded, and she got up and left.

When everyone was too drunk for my taste, I left. I didn’t want to see everyone throwing up their guts. Again, Petunia was asleep. My stomach growled loudly and I walked to the kitchen and opened the fridge. I pulled out the leftover Italian we had, and stuck it in the outdated microwave. When I was finished eating I crawled in bed and went to sleep, maybe tomorrow I would have the guts to ask him what was wrong, myself. But then again, maybe I wouldn’t.