Addiction.

Addiction.

Mary was a twenty-seven year old woman.
Ever since she started school she loved children. She dreamed of having a family of her own, with the perfect husband.
She grew up being very close to her parents; a very healthy relationship. She hoped to have that same relationship with her own children in the future.
She got married at age twenty three to a wonderful man named Marcus. She thought all of her dreams were coming true.
She had a great job, was successful, and had a husband who she loved dearly.
But soon enough after the marriage did she learn that Marcus wasn't the man she thought he was.
He was starting to get into drugs, and she was quickly seeing his alcohol problem.
Sometimes he wouldn't arrive home for days at a time, she started to feel alone, and very unloved. But yet, she rarely thought of divorce.
She soon enough followed in his footsteps, into the drinking.
With Marcus almost never home, she would lie on the couch, drinking from glass bottles... one after another.
She got fired from work, but somehow Marcus continued to keep his business going smoothly. She was now depending on a drunk, someone just like her, to keep things together.
She wanted to get herself under control again, she hadn't forgotten her life long dreams. She soon got help and got the drinking out of her life.
She soon hoped she would be able to get a job again.
But even though her own personal life was getting better, her and Marcus were becoming strangers to each other. He wasn't there to comfort her during the process of her life getting back under control.
On a Thursday evening, Mary had gotten the call that Marcus had died in a car accident on the freeway. She was hurt, she felt lost and very alone. She depended on him to keep the bills paid, pay for the groceries.
Two days later, Mary learned she was pregnant.
With Marcus never being around, she had started going out with other men, a different one every other night.
She quickly thought of abortion, but just couldn't bring herself to kill something already living inside of her. She wasn't that type of person.
She would have the baby, but how could she manage to support a child by herself?
No job, she was falling behind on the bills already, and she could barely afford to pay for her own groceries.
... She couldn't manage.
She didn't feel that she could support the child well enough, that her child could do much better with another family. Have bigger, and better opportunities in life.
She was somewhat panicked, but she was a strong woman who had gone through being an alcoholic, and her husband being a drug addict.

She could find another family who was capable of providing what her child, any child, needed.
She could find a woman who wasn't able to have kids, or possibly a gay, lesbian couple wanting kids.
She had a plan, and the plan felt right.
Mary was very comfortable with giving up her child for adoption, now she just had to find the right people, or person to give her child what that child would need.
...
“It's a girl.” The doctor said happily with a smile on his face.
Mary wasn't hoping for a girl, nor a boy. Deep inside she wanted to keep the child, have her dreams she had had from childhood come true, but she would have to give her away.
She smiled. A tear of happiness made it's way down her cheek, and she slowly wiped it off.
She had found a couple who were looking to adopt.
Brian, and Scott.
She had met with them many times, and the three of them were becoming great friends.
She was almost positive that they were the perfect people for her baby.
She made her way to Brian, and Scott's house. They lived only about twenty miles away from Mary's apartment, she figured she would visit her baby girl often.
Mary hadn't thought much about what would happen after her child was born.
Would she want visitation rights? Or would she never see her child.
She was starting to like the idea of being a Mother.
...
She turned off the car and took a deep breath, she was excited to tell them about the news, but it was finally starting to set in. She was going to have a child, but almost immediately after, have to give her away.
She carefully stepped out of the car and walked towards the house.
The big yard was filled with bright green grass, there was room for a play-set in the back yard, it was kid friendly.
She stepped on the patio and rang the door bell; moments after Brian opened the door.
“Mary.” he said happily, as he took a step to hug her. She saw Scott coming around the corner and stepped inside to give him a hug.
She was excited to tell them that she would be having a girl as they all sat in the living room.
“Well,” she said as she carefully sat in the chair, at the same time the other two sat on the couch close by, “I just got back from the doctor's office.” she told them. She could see their faces immediately light up.
“And?” said Scott, looking anxious.
Mary looked down and rubbed her hand on her stomach, “Gonna be a girl.” she said with a smile on her face.
“Oh, wow.” said Brian, grabbing Scott's hand. Scott had a huge smile on his face and looked back at Brian, “That's wonderful,” he said, “that, truly, is wonderful.”
...
Months had passed.
It was confirmed in Mary's mind that Brian and Scott would be the parents to her baby girl.
She would have visitation rights; Brian and Scott were very open to Mary being in the little girls life. She would need a Motherly figure to look up to growing up.
But with everything going on, Mary started thinking about why she couldn't keep the child?
She would be able to get a job, she was sure she would have support from her friends, but that made her realize, if she did decide to keep the baby girl, it would break Brian and Scott's hearts.
She had to follow through and give up her baby girl.
...
The three friends were meeting for dinner at Brian and Scott's house.
Mary carefully got into her car and made the short drive.

She couldn't wait to have her first child, and it wouldn't be long before it was time.
The baby girl was due in about 1 month, maybe a little longer, you really never know.
She pulled into their driveway, turned her car off, and took a deep breath to remember the day when she pulled into their driveway to tell them that their child would be a girl.
Time went by so fast, it had been months, but that day seemed like it could've been just yesterday.
She carefully stepped out of her car and pulled down her long dress shirt, and pushed her bangs out of her face.
She knocked on the door and waited for someone to answer, she looked over on their patio and noticed a bronze statue, she hadn't noticed it before.
She took a couple steps closer to get a better look, and realized it was a girl kneeling down with a flower basket, picking up a sunflower. She had long curly hair, and was gazing at the flower she held in front of her face like it was the most fascinating thing in the world.
She continued to look at the statue as Brian opened the door and looked around, realizing it was Mary who had knocked. He took a step outside to stand by Mary, carefully looking at the statue with her.
“It's for her.” he said gently, almost startling Mary. She had known he was standing there next to her, but her mind was in a whole different world.
She gently rubbed her stomach, knowing that her baby girl would get the wonderful life she deserved.
Scott walked out onto the patio also, “Hey there Mary.” he said as he put his right arm around her shoulder and stood on the opposite side of her as Brian.
She smiled, “Hey, Brian.” she replied as she still looked at the statue.
“Isn't it just perfect?” he asked her as he pulled his arm back from around her shoulder and placed his hand on the flower the little girl was holding. “I love it.” she told him.
“It was Scott's idea.” he told her. She smiled at Scott, “great idea.” she told him. He smiled back at her, “Thanks.”
Brian took a deep breath, “Ready for dinner?” he asked, looking at Mary. “Of course, I'm eating for two now, so I'm always ready to eat.” Brian smiled and let out a small laugh, placing his hand on her stomach.
Scott turned to walk back into the house, “Won't be long now.” he said. “Just a month or two.” Mary replied.
...
Mary held the new born child in her arms, her little head leaning against her chest. Both of their eyes were closed, both looking so peaceful.
Brian and Scott named her Maddie, they had always loved that name, and Mary loved it even more.
To Mary, those 10 months had gone by so fast, but she was glad she could finally hold her baby girl in her arms.
Brian and Scott walked in the room, both of them were smiling, and anyone would be able to tell that they were excited. Mary sat up in the bed and carefully handed Maddie to Brian, who quietly squealed with excitement, after a little while of Brian walking around with her, he handed her off to Scott.
The way he looked at her was phenomenal. He carefully sat on the small couch in the room, “You're so beautiful.” he whispered while fixing the blanket around her.
Mary had a smile on her face the whole time. “I wanna thank you guys,” she said, looking at Maddie in Scott's arms, “And I'm sure that Maddie will eventually thank you for taking care of her, I just couldn't give her everything she needed.”
“Oh, Mary.” Brian said while tearing up, walking over to the bed to hug her.
Scott still sat with Maddie, but the look that he gave Mary said, “No, thank you.”