Breaking The Silence

Chapter Thirteen

The brunette quietly walked over to the hobble body on the floor, as the small crowd in the room made way for her. When Braleyn reached the body she noticed a thick, plain white towel was behind the limp body’s head for support. How long had Carmella been unconscious anyway?

Suddenly, Carmella’s head turned as the blonde girl stirred, and slowly opened her eyes. “Braelyn,” she giggled. “Nice to see you.”

Braelyn quietly sighed to herself. Carmella was still drunk. But at least now the alcohol was wearing off. Braelyn helped Carmella up on her feet, not knowing where to take her now. She knew she couldn’t take her friend to her parent’s otherwise they’d find out about her addiction, and not the hospital either because the doctors would have Carmella admitted to a rehabilitation centre once they realize her addiction.

“Do you need help?” Joe asked quietly, as he helped Carmella to stand up on her feet.

Braelyn nodded to Joe, indicating that she was thanking him for his help. She watched Carmella struggle to walk as first as the brunette quickly helped her adjust.

“Where are you going to take her?” he asked again. “Home? Hospital? Rehab, maybe?”

Braelyn shrugged, knowing by his tone at the end of the sentence, that he didn’t agree how Braelyn was helping Carmella hide her addiction – not that it was much of a secret anymore. She didn’t know where Carmella would want to end up going. Usually, Braelyn would take her inside the church, and Carmella would leave when she was sober enough to walk back home and talk without slurring her words.

“Don’t worry, I didn’t drink much,” Carmella informed. “I’ve just been so tired lately so I guess I collapsed from all that. I’m going to go home.”

Braelyn shook her head, disapproving of Carmella’s decision. It wasn’t a good idea for her. Carmella’s breath still smelled like alcohol, and she was still slightly slurring her words. The alcohol hadn’t worn off yet.

“Fine, I’ll take a walk around before I go home then,” the blonde grunted, as though she was reading the brunette’s mind.

“Let Braelyn walk with you at least, Carmella,” Kevin suggested.

The blonde shrugged without an argument, and began to exit the church as Braelyn followed. Once the pair was outside, Carmella began talking to Braelyn.

“You’re a good friend, you know?” Carmella said casually.

Braelyn shrugged casually as she kept on walking with the blonde with her head hung low.

“Hey – I think I know those guys,” Carmella suddenly said, as she waved over at their direction, like she was signaling for them to come over. “You should meet these guys. I’m sure you’ll like them.”

Braelyn lifted her head, squinting her eyes, and focused on the small group in the distance. There were three young men standing in a circle, laughing, and when the group of guys saw Carmella, they approached her, grinning.

“Hey Carm, how are you doin’?” one greeted. He was the shortest in his group. “Come to join us again? – And you’ve bought a friend this time.”

“Lay off her, Steve,” she gritted, knowing where he was going with the conversation. “You’re drunk!”

When Carmella spat out the last words at her friends, Braelyn suddenly felt a knot in her stomach. She couldn’t believe what was happening to her. Carmella attracted a drunken group of guys towards them. She couldn’t believe her – they were her friends? How could she be so stupid?! But Braelyn didn’t blame her; she was standing up for her.

“You’re one to talk, Carm,” he laughed. “Look at your eyes! Now what have you been drinking?”

“Oh, so is this the mute you’ve been telling us about then, Carmella?” the tallest one chuckled as he looked at the blonde. “The one that pissed you off? You guys seem like best friends now.” Then he turned to Braelyn. “So you wanna say something, mute?”

“Back off,” Carmella spat, pushing the tallest one as hard as she could. But before he could land on the ground, he took a step back and quickly caught his balance. “She’s not here to start up a fight with you guys so get lost!”

“You asked for it!” the tallest one snapped as he turned his attention to Braelyn.

The brunette squinted as she waited for something to happen. A wave of horror came over her, realizing what was happening to her. It was happening again like when she went to school, minus the alcoholic addiction for the kids. When her mother admitted her into the hospital, the only plus side was not having to face the mean kids at her school.

Suddenly, Braelyn felt the weight from the young man’s hands shove her down to the ground, as she landed on her side on the concrete. A tear slithered down her cheek as she heard the voices of laughter slowly disappear into the distance. She laid still on the concrete wondering one thing to herself. Where was her knight in shinning armor?
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not too sure about this chapter, but what do you guys think? :)
Please, keep the comments coming, I am loving you for it! :D