Breaking The Silence

Chapter Nine

Braelyn woke up the next morning, a loud bang came from the other side of her door, which was accompanied by an angry voice. “Braelyn, what on Earth did you say?”

Afraid of what was going to happen next, Braelyn curled herself under the covers, hoping the person on the other side to go away or stop, at least. But that didn’t happen, and instead, the loud banging noise came again. “Braelyn, Wake up! I know you’re awake on the other side! Hurry up and open the door!”

Braelyn reluctantly dragged herself to the door, completely afraid. She didn’t know what was coming at her. What did she say before? She unlocked the door and pulled it open. It was Carmella.

“Did I wake you?” she said, impatiently as she clicked her tongue. Her voice was dripping with sarcasm. “Oh, I’m sorry! Actually I’m not! You should be the one who’s sorry here! You knew how embarrassed I was when you caught me talking to Reverend Jackson, and when you caught me at it!” she raged, referring to her addiction. “And what do you do? You tell Nick!”

Braelyn shook her head and frowned. She quickly walked over to the desk and pulled out a blank sheet of paper and a pen from the drawer that she placed there earlier, and began writing her thoughts down. Once she was done, she gestured the agitated Carmella to come over to the desk and waited for her to read the piece of paper. It read,

I didn’t tell him anything.

“Then why did he ask me today when he saw me, huh?” Carmella challenged, unsatisfied with the brunette’s response. “Why did he demand to know what I’ve been hiding from everyone else?”

Braelyn raised an eyebrow. Did Nick really sat that to Carmella? What exactly did Nick say to you? she wrote, underlining the second word.

Carmella hesitated for a moment. “He said ‘What problem do you have that’s making Braelyn worried?’ I kindly told him to ‘back off’ since it was clearly none of his business, but he didn’t leave me alone, and persisted on. He then defends himself and says ‘so Braelyn can know, but not the rest of us? We can help you too, you know!’ Look, I know it’s sweet but that’s not the point. What. Did. You. Tell. Him. Braelyn?” she asked again, this time more angrily than the last time. It seemed like she was getting more livid since Braelyn wouldn’t answer her question.

I swear I didn’t tell him anything, ok? He knows nothing about your addiction! He just knows that you have a problem, Braelyn wrote, remembering that she wrote more than she remembered to Nick last night. But Braelyn was sure that she just only told Nick that Carmella had a problem, but she didn’t say what.

“You still don’t get it, don’t you?” Carmella snapped. “That’s not the point! Why do you keep defending yourself?”

I’m sorry! Braelyn wrote, as quickly as she could. She didn’t even care if Carmella could read her handwriting anymore. The brunette hesitated before writing the next sentence. It’s just sort of came out, okay?

“You know,” Carmella spat. “For someone who doesn’t speak at all, surprisingly can’t even keep her mouth shut!”

Braelyn felt tears building up behind her eyes as the words that was just thrown at her stabbed her in the chest. She quickly blinked them away. I’m really, really sorry, she wrote again. This time, more slowly than last.

“No, Braelyn,” Carmella said, shaking her head as she threw back her laughter. “I honestly don’t care how sorry you are. All I just want to know is why did you tell him? What made you say that to him? What was going through your mind at that time?”

Braelyn frowned to herself, and wiped the back of her head across her eyes as she felt tears building up again. She silently sighed, unsure of what to do next. Why did she tell Nick? It was because he asked her too many personal questions and she didn’t want to answer them since she couldn’t handle it. But she had no idea what was going through her head at that time.

Frustrated from the silence Braelyn was giving Carmella, the blonde spoke again. “Look, it doesn’t matter anymore, okay?” Carmella sighed. “I just thought you’d be someone I could trust in this place, instead of just putting all of my problems onto Reverend Jackson. I’d feel too guilty if I did that. Just, don’t tell anyone else, okay? I guess it doesn’t matter anymore.”

Braelyn frowned and moved back to her bed as she watched her friend leave her room and slam the door behind her. Braelyn pulled her legs closer to her chest, wrapping her arms around her legs and burying her face in her lap. What had she done? She betrayed one of her friends she made here by telling another person her secret.

Suddenly, Braelyn realized that she should make it up to Carmella. Grinning at the thought, Braelyn quickly walked out of her room. She had an idea, and all she could do now was hope.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here it is :)
Sorry it took forever to get out. PLEASE comment and subscribe, it feels like nobody's reading this story anymore since I'm not getting that many comments from you guys as I did last time. :/