Deception

Billie's Decision

The two almost fifteen year olds stood up and exited the wardrobe. Mona perched on the side of Estelle’s bed and Joey left the room altogether, closing the door behind him.

“Okay, so I know you guys have been kissing. What else have you been doing?”

Ramona gasped and flushed. “Nothing else, Cassie. Joseph wanted to touch my boobies but I said no. Daddy told me not to let any boy touch me or he’ll shoot them.”

“Good.”

“Besides,” Mona went on “I’m not ready for anything like that anyway. Kissing is all I’m doing for now; you don’t have to worry.”

“That’s very sensible, Mona. Now I think you need to have a little talk with your father.” Cassie smiled at her would-be step daughter.

“Yeah, I will. I think I’m really in love with Joseph.” Ramona couldn’t keep the smile off her face.

Cassie laughed inwardly at how beautifully naïve young teens were.

“I’m glad you really like him.” Cassie replied, trying to curb the use of the L word.

“I’ll go talk to daddy now.” Ramona hopped off the bed and headed downstairs and outside.

Cassie followed her but realised she really needed to use the toilet so she headed off in the direction of the bathroom.

You had to walk through a large lounge to get to the powder room and as Cassie walked through, she noticed a figure seated in one of the sofas. It was Billie Joe.

She didn’t know whether to acknowledge him or not, so she put her head down and tried to walk through the lounge room as fast as she could without running.

“Wait.” Billie said the word as a command.

Cassie immediately froze at the sound of his voice.

“What were Joey and Ramona doing alone in Stella’s room all that time?” Billie asked flatly.

“I guess Joseph might tell you later. It’s not really my place to say.” Cassie answered just as flatly, even though she wanted to stay longer, to prolong their unfriendly conversation.

“Right.”

Cassie didn’t bother to say anything more, she just continued on to the bathroom. Never looking back and feeling proud that she finally showed some restraint on her part. Billie Joe was becoming an obsession for her.

***

Back outside, Cassie watched in amusement as Mona nervous as ever, led her dad to a quiet part of the backyard to discuss Joey Armstrong.

“What are they going off to talk about?” Adrienne asked.

“Ask Joey.” Cassie said, smirking.

“Okay, I will.” Adrienne smiled too, and called her oldest son over. He was sitting a little ways away, holding little Brixton who had awoken a short while ago and talking to Estelle, Jakob and Frankito.

Joey looked up from his conversation and made his way over to where his mother, Mike, Britt, Tre and Cassie were seated.

“Yeah, mom?”

“Why did I get told that I had to ask you why Mona is having a private conversation with your Uncle Tre?” Adrienne asked, bobbing her head with every word the way she did, making her brown and blonde dreadlocks shake.

“Because, well, you see…” Joey trailed off, his cheeks blazing.

“Because?” Adrienne probed.

“Because I kind of asked Ramona to be my girlfriend.” Joey blurted out quick as a flash.

The spoon Adrienne was holding clattered to the table; Adie was clearly shocked.

“Absolutely not.” A voice of authority. Billie Joe’s voice.

He had appeared from the house seemingly out of nowhere and was now sitting down at the terrace table beside his wife.

Joseph seemed confused. “Why not, dad?”

“I don’t have to give you a reason. I’m your father.” Billie said tightly.

Joey shook his head and was about to pipe up but all the adults began talking at once, silencing him.

Mike and Brittney were in agreement that Joey would be a perfect boyfriend for Ramona because they already knew each other so well and their parents already knew each other and were practically family. Plus, they were saying, Tre could rest assured that Mona would not be in any danger from this boy because they knew how nice and sweet and gentlemanly he was; they had watched him grow up.

Adrienne was agreeing with Mike and Britt but also had to be on her husband’s side. Cassie was encouraging Joey.

Just then, Mona and Tre rejoined the table. They had not heard the debate that had been going on.

“Okay, Joseph, so you can be Ramona’s boyfriend but no hanky panky and no dates on school nights. Other than that, I wish you kids well.” Tre folded his hands neatly on the table, feeling pleased at how diplomatic he was being about his daughter’s first boyfriend.

“Actually,” Billie Joe began. “I was just saying how Joey will not be dating Ramona.”

Now it was Tre’s turn to be confused “Why?”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea. They’re both far too young to even think about dating.”

Dad,” Joey finally piped up “I’ve dated a couple of girls before, you know that. Why is Mona any different? I love Mona.”

“You don’t love her.” Billie snapped “You are a child and should never have been allowed to date in the first place. You are far too young for relationships and you need to study. You’re in high school now.”

Ramona looked depressed and so did Joey.

Adrienne noticed this and looked sympathetic. “Billie, I think you’re being too hard on them. I think they make a beautiful couple. Let them go out on a date.”

Billie’s hard face immediately softened when he looked his beloved wife’s brown eyes.

“Okay, one date.” He reasoned.

“Thanks, hon.”

Cassie watched this exchange between the pair who had been together over fourteen years with envy.

Joey and Ramona both cheered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Longer chapter for all my lovely readers =)
Thank you all so much for your beautiful comments and subscriptions, I appreciate it like you wouldn't imagine!
I'll post up the next chapter soon, more Billie / Cassie -ness!