Deception

Billie's Confession

When the Armstrong’s arrived back home after lunch at Mike’s, Joey, who had been talking about Ramona as much as she had been speaking of him, ran up to his bedroom awaiting a promised phone call.

“Okay, sport, are you going to explain to me why you got so worked up about Joseph and Ramona.” Adrienne demanded, placing her hands on her hips when they were alone. Jake had gone up to his room to play his Play Station 3.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea. Do I have to explain everything?” Billie Joe was still irritated.

“To your wife you have to explain everything. Now talk. Why don’t you want them two kids to see each other?” Adrienne narrowed her eyes at her husband.

“Well, when they break up, and we all know they will,” Billie Joe began, holding up his hand when his wife tried to cut in “They will still have to see each other because of Tre and I. How awkward for the poor things. Not to mention, they are both almost fifteen and have all the hormones and everything…what if they…you know? Tre will want to behead me!”

“They’re both smart kids they’ll figure it out.”

“They don’t need to. Why are they complicating things? Why can’t they just stay friends? They are such great friends.” Billie was shaking his head.

“Because they like each other more than friends. It was bound to happen someday.”

“So what? Should everyone be allowed to just give in to their feelings? Even if it’s inappropriate?” Billie Joe tangled his hands in his hair, like he was about to rip his hair out.

“Are we still talking about the kids? Because this is going way too far.” Adrienne’s voice was shaky as she took in her husband’s angry outburst.

“Of course we’re still fucking talking about the kids. Who the fuck else would we be speaking about?” Billie Joe crossed his arms in front if his chest angrily.

“Okay, you need to calm down. I still don’t get why you’re so worked up about something so small. I don’t want to talk to you again until you are completely calm.” Adrienne pressed a hand to her forehead and leaned her head back, trying to get rid of the tears that had formed.

Billie Joe just scoffed at her and left the house to go to a bar and drink. The whole time he was driving to the little bar a few blocks away, he was thinking how Cassie’s admission was ruining his life.

***

The next day at band practice, Billie Joe had calmed down a lot, the beers had done wonders for him, and was ready to work. After all, it was only a few short days until it was time to get back on the road. The next stops for Green Day were Portugal and Spain.

“Hey guys, are we ready?” Billie asked cheerfully when Tre and Mike arrived at their privately owned studio.

“Actually, we wanted to talk to you first.” Mike said, looking solemnly at Tre who nodded slowly.

“Is that so?” Billie Joe answered absently as he picked up his favourite guitar, Floyd, from it’s rack.

“Yep, we wanted to see how you’re going with everything.” Mike said, extending his arm in a sweeping motion.

“I’m great. Now should we play ‘Peacemaker’ with those few chord changes we discussed?” Billie began strumming at this guitar.

“We need you to really listen to us here. We’re worried about you. You have been acting so strange ever since we started touring. Are you okay?”

Billie sighed. It was time to cut the excuses and tell the truth. “Cassie isn’t in love with you.” He said each syllable separately, watching Tre’s face for a reaction.

“Yes, she is. What the fuck, dude?” Tre was completely caught off guard.

“She is in love with me. She told me a couple months ago. That’s why I’ve been so upset. I didn’t want to hurt you but I can’t let you keep living a lie.”

Mike was standing between the two, mouth gaping open. “Uh, I should give you guys some privacy.” He very self-consciously left the two men alone.

“You’re lying.” Tre said, his normally bright blue eyes turning dark.

“I’m not lying. Why would I lie about something like this?” Billie couldn’t believe his friend of more than twenty years would doubt him.

“I know she loves me. I’m not an idiot like everyone seems to think. I would see through her straight away if she was faking.” Tre’s face turned red because of the anger that was building inside of him.

“Why do you think I have been avoiding her? Why do you think I can’t bear to be in the same room as her?” Billie started explaining but Tre cut him off.

“You know what, Billie Joe. I think it’s the other way around. I think you’re in love with her. I know you must be jealous that my girlfriend is in her twenties and your wife just turned forty. It must be really shitty for you to see Mike and me with young, hot girls while you have an old bag.”

“Tre, listen to yourself, please.” Billie closed his eyes, his temples throbbing.

“No. The real reason you say you can’t stand to be around Cassie is because you want her and you can’t have her because she loves me. Well fuck you, Billie Joe. Now I know why Cassie has been acting strange too.”

“Why do you think? What other crazy logic do you have?” Billie asked quietly, the throbbing in his head worsening.

“No crazy logic.” Tre spat “Obviously you are the one you told her you loved her and she rejected you. Now she feels uncomfortable with you near her.”

“Tre, that is not true at all. How can you believe her over me?” Billie asked, closing his eyes again because his head was pounding.

“Because you have always been an attention seeking prick. That’s why this band was going to split up a few years ago, because of you. Because you are a Nazi. You want to be top shit all the time. You have to steal everyone’s spotlight.” Tre said, his voice dripping with years of pent up malice.

“I thought we already got past this bullshit years ago!” Billie raised his voice, then immediately wished he didn’t because the sound pierced his very thoughts.

“I thought so too, but clearly not. You want to always be the most important and because someone wants me instead of you, you can’t stand it. Like I said, fuck you. I’m out of here. I guess I’ll see you on the way to Portugal in a few days but don’t speak to me.”

“That’s fine if you want to pick that stupid, lying whore over your best friend.”

That was one step too far, Tre’s anger reached boiling point and without thinking, he swung a fist at Billie Joe, who was not expecting it, and connected with his jaw. Billie fell backwards into a rack of guitars.

“That’s it,” Billie was breathing heavily from the floor, clutching his chin “It’s over. I can’t believe you just did that. If you wanted to lose me and keep your slut you just did it. Goodbye Tre.” Billie stood up a little shakily and headed over to the room where Mike was pretending not to listen.

Tre was panting and trying to catch his breath. He stared at his fist in disbelief. Then he turned and exited to the car park where his Hummer was waiting. He climbed into the drivers side and sat there, staring unseeingly at the studio. He was snapped out of his daze by Mike who opened the door and hopped into the passenger side.

“Wow.” Mike breathed, not looking at Tre.

“Did I really hit him?” Tre asked, his voice cracking when he said ‘hit’

“Yeah, you did. I can sort of see why, but still, wow.” Mike continued to keep his eyes straight ahead and his voice even.

“Is he okay?” Tre asked, his forehead creased with worry.

“His face will be fine. Other than that he’s not okay. I think he was telling the truth about Cassie.”

“Why do you think that?” Tre’s voice became cold.

“Because he would never lie to you about something so important. Just be careful with her. That’s all I’m going to say because it is none of my business.”

“Thanks, Mike. I am being careful. Cassie does love me, I’m sure of it. I don’t think she could keep up an act like that for so long.”

“Yeah. Okay.” Mike agreed, still not looking at Tre.

“I just got so mad when he started insulting Cassie. I didn’t even have control of myself.” Tre said sadly, thinking of Billie Joe.

“I know. Look, obviously band practice isn’t happening today and Billie is adamant that we will finish out this tour and then that will be the end of Green Day. I think in a few days you should talk to him and work things out. You guys shouldn’t lose a friendship like yours over this.”

“We’ll see. I don’t believe him about Cassie being in love with him so I don’t know if I want to be friends or even in a band with someone like that. We’ll just have to see what happens.”

“Okay, well, I’m going to go check on him. You call me if you need anything.” Mike turned to look at Tre and noticed that there was a single tear sliding down his cheek. He placed a hand comfortingly on his shoulder then left the car.

Tre made sure his drive home was slow and very careful. He knew he shouldn’t be driving in his state; he couldn’t think of anything else but what Billie had said about Cassie. Once he arrived safely at his house he went straight upstairs to the bedroom he shared with his girlfriend and tried to fall asleep.