Deception

Breathe a Sigh of Relief

It was a long and silent trip to Oakland Memorial Hospital made worse by Adrienne’s soundless crying.

The officer led them to the third floor and directed them to the room where Billie was. After they went inside, he stood outside the door, keeping guard.

Adrienne was trembling and held on to Cassie’s hand the entire time.

Cassie was trying to stay calm for the sake of Adie. It was hard to stop herself from screaming, though, because all of this was her fault.

A doctor approached them then. A rather plump man in his fifties with gray hair, a bushy gray moustache and gold rimmed spectacles. He was wearing a lab coat.

“Mrs. Armstrong?” He looked at Adrienne.

“My husband, where is he?” Adrienne rasped, her throat was tight from worry.

“Your husband was in a car accident he has sustained some injuries but nothing serious. There were no other drivers involved, he crashed into a telephone pole. The police haven’t had a chance to talk to him about it yet because he hasn’t woken up. He’s resting.”

“What injuries?” Adrienne asked in a strangled voice.

“There is a bruise on this chin and he also has some bruising on his arms and legs. There is a minor laceration on his forehead…Mrs. Armstrong, he’s going to be fine.”

He added the last part in because it seemed Adrienne was on the verge of fainting again.

“Would you like to take a seat?” He asked her, peering over his round spectacles.

“No, I want to see Billie.” Adrienne said, her mouth set in a determined line.

“So,” Cassie began, attracting the doctor’s attention “The bruise on his chin was probably there before the accident; he was in a little scuffle prior to the accident.”

“We thought as much when we examined him. The bruise didn’t seem as fresh. You’ll probably be asked to give a statement to the police.” The doctor said, pushing his glasses back on his nose.

“I want to see Billie.” Adrienne repeated.

“Sure, sure.” The doctor then led both her and Cassie down a small corridor and then to a cubicle covered by a curtain. “He’s right behind this curtain.”

Adrienne then turned to Cassie and squeezed her hand, she looked into her eyes and nodded. Cassie knew her services were no longer required.

“Err, doctor, could you lead me back out to the waiting area?” Cassie asked as Adrienne disappeared behind the curtain.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it's such a short update! Hope you enjoy and keep commenting. <3