Deception

When Adie Finds Out

Adrienne began crying again as she looked upon her husband’s sleeping form. He looked like a small child when he was asleep, like an angel. He had one arm out from the sheet that covered him and though his arm was immensely tattooed, you could see several purple bruises.

She reached out to touch his arm lightly, her fingertip brushing over a particular tattoo of his; the one that was of her name. She then touched his hand and fingers stopping when she noticed an IV attached to his hand.

She then looked to his face once more. She noticed a small piece of gauze attached to his forehead, obviously covering the cut and the purple bruise on his chin.

“Damn you, Tre.” She said out loud.

Billie began to stir upon hearing his wife’s voice.

“Adie…” He whispered as his eyes fluttered open.

“Yeah, it’s me. How are you feeling?” The tears began flowing again.

“I feel fine. Hey, stop crying.” Billie tried to smile although he was clearly in pain.

“What were you thinking scaring me like this?” Adrienne scolded her husband with a relieved smile on her face.

“I’m sorry, I don’t know how I managed to hit that pole. I guess I was so angry I wasn‘t paying attention.” Billie frowned, trying to remember.

“You were angry because you got in a fight with Tre.” Adrienne began stroking her husband’s black hair.

Billie Joe’s eyes squinted and he bit his lip.

“Are you okay?” Adie asked, looking at Billie’s pained expression.

“Yeah, Adie, I’m great, I’m just trying to remember fighting with Tre. I don’t remember.”

Adrienne jumped when the doctor suddenly began talking from behind her.

“Billie Joe may experience some short term memory loss, but it should all return to him within twenty four hours.”

“Where’s Mike and Tre?” Billie asked, ignoring the doctor who he thought looked exactly like a mad scientist.

“Mike is minding our kids and I really don’t care where Tre is. He caused this.”

“No, Cassie caused this.” Billie murmured.

“What? What do you mean?” Adrienne was shocked.

“She says she loves Tre but she told me that she’s in love with me too.” Billie closed his eyes, he was starting to feel little stabbing pains in his head.

“Are you joking?” Adrienne was incredulous.

The doctor began speaking again.

“Reality may become distorted for him for the time being, too. I wouldn’t put much weight on anything he says right now.”

“Doctor, can you kindly fuck off?” Billie asked politely, his eyes remaining shut.

The doctor huffed, but removed himself from their proximity.

“Are you sure?” Adrienne asked slowly.

“Yes. She told me two months ago.”

“Slut!” Adrienne spat.

“I know. If it wasn’t for her, Tre and I wouldn’t be fighting. I can’t believe he fucking hit me.”

“You remember?”

“I think so. I told him about what Cassandra said to me and he got angry and I asked him why he believes her over me and then I guess I stepped over the line by calling her names and he lost it.” Billie sighed and then winced as a wave of pain hit him.

“I don’t believe this!” Adrienne was shaking her head.

“Neither did I. But it’s true.”

“I’m going to smack her out, I hope you realise.” Adrienne balled her hands into fists.

Billie laughed faintly.

“I’ll be back in a minute, honey, Cassie is out in the waiting room.”