Deception

Is This Love Real?

While Cassie had been waiting for Adrienne, she had called Tre again and asked him to come down. She didn’t want to be alone while something so terrible was going on. She now knew that Billie was in no life threatening danger and would probably be out of the hospital by tomorrow, but it was still a horrifying thought to know she caused all this.

Tre had dropped Frankie and Ramona off at the Armstrong’s and came as soon as he could.

“Cassie!” He ran to her and embraced her “How is he?”

“He’s fine; he has a few bruises and a small wound on his head. He’ll be out of here tomorrow with any luck.” Cassie smiled. She felt so much better now with Tre’s arms protectively around her.

“I feel so horrible for hitting him.” Tre said sadly. His voice was quieter, muffled because he had his face buried in her hair.

“Don’t be.” Cassie pulled away from their embrace so she could look at Tre’s face.

He had a tortured expression on his face, he had dark circles under his eyes like he had been crying. He looked like a boy who had lost his mother.

“Tre…” Cassie reached out to stroke his cheek with the back of her hand. He closed his eyes at her touch.

A single tear dripped from his eye and he hurriedly wiped it away; not wanting Cassie to see him shed tears.

“It’s okay, Tre. You can feel whatever you need to in front of me.” She reached out with her other hand to take his.

He opened his eyes and leaned closer to her so he could lean his head on her shoulder.

“I love you.” She whispered to him. Then she stiffened, although Tre didn’t seem to notice.

Cassie’s grip around Tre’s hand tightened as she thought about the words she had just uttered.

She had told Tre she loved him many, many times. The first time because she wanted to keep him to get closer to Billie Joe. The other times because she loved him as a best friend and companion.

This time however, she had said it because she truly meant it. She truly loved Tre. She didn’t realise it until now. Cassie wondered when she actually fell in love with Tre and then realised with amusement that it was possible to love two people at the same time.

“I love you.” She said again, enjoying the feeling it gave her to say it to him and really mean it. She was still in love with Billie Joe, but with her realisation, the feeling was somewhat numbed in favour of Tre.

“I love you, too.” Tre answered, moving his head so his cheek was touching Cassie’s.

“You are so impossibly amazing.” Cassie breathed into his ear. It was like someone had lifted a blindfold off her eyes and she could now see Tre for what he was. She had always thought him wonderful, but now she felt differently.

“Thanks…” Tre was clearly not used to hearing Cassie gush about him because she had been so distant for the last few weeks.

“I’m sorry I’ve acted so weird lately. I promise it is going to stop.” Cassie promised and this time meant it.

“Why this sudden turn around?” Tre pulled away from her gently and looked into her grey eyes.

“I’ve just realised how lucky I am to have someone who loves me like you do. Who drops things at a moments notice for me. Who would knock out his best friend for me. You just adore me and I haven’t appreciated you lately. I’m sorry.” Cassie realised that it was a whole combination of all the things Tre had done for her that made her cross the threshold into loving him.

“That’s…okay.” Tre grinned.

“It’s not okay.” Cassie wondered how she could make it up to him.

“It really is, but you could always make it up to me by-” He looked around sneakily for a second then began whispering the filthiest things any mind could imagine into Cassie’s ear.

“Cassandra Walker, you dirty mole.” Adrienne was stomping over to them.