Deception

Warm, liquid emeralds no more.

“I thought you were sick.” Billie said, staring at her accusingly.

“I was. I feel sick constantly because of, well, you know what.”

Billie made a choking noise in his throat “And you think I don’t?”

“We should probably keep our voices down and go talk in one of the bedrooms.” Cassie said, her eyes nervously flicking to the door and then over to the archway that lead to three bedrooms.

“I don’t have anything to say to you. I don’t know what you want from me.” Billie said, anger seeping into his tone.

“You know very well what I want from you.” Cassie said flatly.

Billie Joe balled his hands into tight fists at his side.

“Billie, answer me.”

“There is nothing to answer. I don’t have anything to say, like I said.” Billie tried to steady his breathing, which always came fast and short whenever he was upset.

“You can’t keep denying it.”

“Fuck off.” Billie Joe said, his voice thick and dark.

Cassie sighed and looked into Billie’s eyes. They were unusually hard and cold. She had always loved the way his eyes were almost always like warm, liquid emeralds, sparkly and full of life.

“Okay, well maybe you can deny it, but I can’t and it kills me everyday.” Cassandra said almost inaudibly.

“Leave me alone. Now I’m going into my room to phone Adrienne. Don’t follow me.” With that, Billie stormed out of sight. Cassie winced as she heard his door slam loudly behind him.

Now that she was alone, she dropped to her knees and tears began to slide silently from her eyes. It wasn’t her fault, Billie shouldn’t be so hateful towards her.

She thought back to the cause of all the animosity between her and her boyfriend’s best friend...