Deception

What Will She Say?

Once they were in the car, safely away from Adie’s dark glare, Tre allowed himself to slowly calm down.

“Tre, honey…” Cassie said almost inaudibly.

“I’m fine, Cassandra. Really, I’ve never been better.” Tre raked a hand through his dyed blonde hair that was beginning to fade.

“I don’t believe that. I’m sure you have been better than this.” Cassie grinned despite the anxiety she felt. Adrienne would always hate her, Billie Joe would never trust her, Tre had come this close to discovering what she had been trying to hide from him for so long.

“Okay…Maybe that’s true.” Tre threw his arm around his girlfriend.

“Cassie moved her head so she could discreetly inhale the scent of Tre’s cologne. It was a musky, manly smell. Although she now knew she was in love with Tre and not Billie, she still couldn’t help thinking about him.

Billie smelled kind of fruity, like oranges or pears. It was a light and pleasant scent. Although, when he was ‘working’, he smelled kind of woodsy. It was not an unpleasant scent, but different to his usual.

Cassie sighed, ‘I may not be in love with him but obsession doesn’t disappear that easily. I would probably still kiss him in a heartbeat.’

Tre mistook her unhappy exhalation for contentment and with his other hand, he placed a finger under Cassie’s chin to lift her head up so he could kiss her.

As their lips moved together slowly and softly, Tre did not seem to notice the hint of resignation in Cassie’s kiss.

“Ready to get back to Bill’s so we can send Mike over?” Tre asked, somewhat breathlessly after the kiss was over.

“Sure.”

***

Back at Billie Joe’s, Tre tried to explain to a crushed Mike that it was not his fault Billie was in an accident and that he was fine. Mike would not believe this entirely until he saw his friend-who was more like a brother-for himself, so he took Brittney and they went on their way to the hospital.

“All the kids are asleep, so you don’t need to worry about them!” Brittney called over her shoulder as Mike towed her out the front door.

Cassie made her way into one of the Armstrong’s many living rooms and slumped down on a sofa. She patted the space next to her, motioning for Tre to sit with her.

“I’m just going to check up on the kids. Make sure Ramona and Joey aren’t getting up to anything.” Tre muttered and began lumbering up the stairs. Clearly he wasn’t entirely calmed from the hospital incident.

In the living room, Cassie stood up and began wandering over to the mantle piece, where there were many photos of Billie and his family.

She lifted up a small frame that contained a picture of a younger Billie Joe at the beach. He was just wearing a pair of black board shorts and he had his wet, raven hair slicked back. It looked like he was laughing as he sat on the sand with a plastic bucket in his hand.

As she looked closer at the photo, she noticed that there was a toddler in the picture with him. It must’ve been Joseph. The little boy was holding a blue spade in his hand and had a massive smile on his face as he dug.

Cassie ran a finger over the picture and smiled wistfully. ‘Billie Joe truly is gorgeous…’ She thought carelessly, then chastised herself for thinking such things after her epiphany.

‘Maybe Tre and I will have a picture like this one day, with our son.’ Cassie moved her thoughts to better, more realistic things.

She still couldn’t help feeling a pang of jealousy for the life Adrienne Armstrong had. The smallest part of her wished she, in fact, was Adrienne so she could be with Billie.

‘No that’s just obsession talking!’ She screamed at herself, ‘Tre is the love of your life, come on Cassie, what are you doing!’

She put the picture down and spun around. She looked at the ceiling to try and dry out the film of moisture that had formed over her eyes. When she looked straight ahead again, Tre was standing there with the weirdest expression on his face.

“I know this isn’t the best time,” Tre began, his face burning bright red, “But I love you, Cassandra Walker, and I will love you until the end of time.” He cleared his throat, seemingly unable to go on.

Cassie had no idea where he was headed so she mumbled something about loving him too, speaking the truth for the most part, the tiny nagging feeling of ‘love’ for Billie Joe was trying to claw it’s way back into her heart although Cassie was doing her best to fight it.

Tre didn’t say anything back, he just slid down onto one knee, looking embarrassed.

“Tre, no.” Cassie stared at his kneeling form in disbelief.

“Marry me?” He asked, reaching out to her, not holding a ring but trying to hold her left hand anyway.

Cassie was filled with mixed emotions. She honestly had no idea what to say. She loved him with all her heart. ‘Almost all of your heart!’ The little nagging voice squeaked.

“Tre…” She whispered. He still kneeled, eagerly awaiting a response.

She loved him with all her heart, she forced the voice away, but still could not find the answer to his question.

Tre shifted uncomfortably, “Well, Cass, what’ll it be?”

Just then, the front door opened and Adrienne and Billie Joe walked through.

“Can’t believe they let me out tonight. Awesome!” Came Billie’s voice.

Cassie’s heart skipped a beat as Billie walked into the living room, taking in the sight of Tre on the floor and Cassie standing stiffly in front of him.

“I love you, Tre” She blurted out.

“I know, but will you marry me, or not?” He asked again, standing up.

Cassie’s breathing stopped as she moved her eyes from Tre’s eager face to Billie Joe’s wondering eyes.

She forced herself to take a deep breath, then cleared her throat to make her answer known.