Deception

Tainted Love

He had ordered a coffee then asked her what time she knocked off, insisting they go out for dinner. Very stupidly, Cassie accepted, not because she felt very attracted to Tre, although he was lovely and handsome and funny; but because she thought, ’maybe I’ll get to see Billie Joe again.’

Tre and Cassie ended up going out almost every night he didn’t have to be at the studio recording Green Day’s latest album. Before long they were a couple and Tre wanted to introduce her to his closest friends and even his children.

Cassie felt guilty for the reason she agreed to become Tre’s girlfriend because he seemed to be so happy about it. Cassie genuinely enjoyed Tre’s company; it was hard not to, he was so extroverted and hilarious, but she was not very interested in him romantically.

The first time she had seen Billie Joe since the coffee shop was like a dream. They had gone over to his gorgeous house for dinner and she met his wife and kids who were all very nice and it was great because Billie had perked up and seemed genuinely pleased that she was there.

Cassie tried to make a conscious effort to talk to Tre during the dinner, but she couldn’t keep her attention or eyes off Billie Joe’s perfect face and she didn’t want to miss one second of his laughter which was contagious.

“Your eyes get all sparkly when you smile or laugh.” Cassie pointed out to him that night.

Billie’s answer was a big smile.

“You have a very nice smile, too.” She gushed.

Adrienne piped up then “Yes, my husband is definitely a looker.”

Cassie had been embarrassed but Tre and Billie had only laughed. Billie’s laugh was smooth and easy and sometimes reckless whereas Tre’s laugh was very childlike.

“You’ve gone all red!” Tre had giggled at her.

This made Cassie go an even deeper shade of crimson.

“I didn’t mean to embarrass you, I was joking before.” Adrienne reached over to squeeze Cassie’s arm.

The squeeze was a little harder than it should have been and although Adrienne was smiling, it wasn’t a friendly smile, it never reached her eyes.

Dinners like that were not a rarity, they all got together to eat and just hang out that Cassie got to see Billie Joe all the time. They had a lot in common and became fast friends. Much to Cassie’s delight, she and Billie even started hanging out alone together having lunch and watching movies and stuff.

Her dream was that he would one day lean over and kiss her over the table while they were having breakfast or something. It never happened, he was always talking about how much he loved his wife.

The trade off to her being able to spend so much time with Billie was that she had to be in a relationship with Tre. She was growing more and more fond of him as time went on but Billie was where her affections were.

It was a sad day for her when after a few months, Tre shyly told her that he was in love with her and that his kids really loved her too. To make sure she still got to see Billie Joe, she told Tre that she loved him too, more than anyone. The truth was, she was falling hard for Billie and there was no way to stop herself.