Deception

Shh, don't tell

At this time, Cassie was reading a series of novels about a girl who falls in love with a gorgeous vampire named Edward and he is her soul mate but there’s this other guy, Jacob, who’s wonderful and caring and loves her but she can’t love him the same even if she wanted to because of how she feels about Edward.

Cassie likened herself to the main character of those novels, Bella, because she felt like Billie Joe was Edward and Tre was Jacob. The only difference is in the books Bella gets to be with Edward whereas Cassie is with Jacob. Plus, the whole vampire thing…

As time went on, her relationship with Tre got more and more serious, to the point of his eight year old son, Frankito asking her if he can call her mama. She had said no.

Also as time went on, Cassie’s love for Billie Joe deepened. He was always so affectionate to her, giving her hugs and kisses on the cheek. He didn’t know how much it hurt her to be able to have him so close yet so far. He never showed the slightest bit of romantic interest in her.

She could now freely tell Tre she loved him, although she loved him as more of a great friend than her soul mate.

When their tour started, Cassie decided to join them, mainly because she hated to be away from Billie that long. She and Billie Joe had been sitting alone backstage after one of Green Day’s shows in Toronto, Canada and her unrequited feelings for him were bubbling up to the surface after one too many drinks.

She had taken his hand and looked into his smiling, friendly face to tell him all she had been so carefully hiding for so long.

“Billie, I have something to tell you.”

“You can tell me anything, Cass.” Billie had said warmly.

Cassie didn’t know how to say it so she decided to just blurt it out.

“Billie, I’m in love with you, I have been for ages.”

It was like she had burned him. He immediately pulled his hand free of hers and his smile turned to a grimace. He stood up and faced her, standing many paces away like she might burn him again.

“What the fuck did you say?” Billie said each word slowly and deliberately.

“I’m so sorry, I just couldn’t keep it in any longer.” Cassie whispered.

“Do you love Tre?” He demanded.

“Of course I do.” She had lied, she would never love Tre the way she loved Billie.

“Then how can you love me?”

“I love you both.” She lied again.

“Don’t ever speak to me again.” Billie Joe had said so nastily it sent a shiver up her spine. Having said that, he turned his back on her and left, taking the car that was her only transport.

Tre had to eventually come and get her. Billie had told him some false story about her being too sick to drive with him. Once Tre arrived she so convincingly explained how sick she was he sent her back home to Oakland as soon as he could.

Cassie was only too happy to leave.

She had tried contacting Billie Joe for weeks after the incident but he never took her calls or answered the door if she went to his house.

Tre never suspected a thing because Cassie ramped up her act. She acted like she wanted to be with him every minute of the day and didn’t want to waste time seeing other men. It also helped that he was stoned a lot. Also, the couple times she and Billie had to see each other, like for the opening of the American Idiot musical, they acted like they were fine, even though one of them was seething and one was aching.

The pain got worse over time. Cassie felt like she was in a daze for the whole two months Billie had been ignoring her. She constantly thought of him and how she loved him and couldn’t help thinking about poor Tre getting involved in this.

She was terrified Billie Joe would tell Tre her secret and it would destroy him. Tre was such a good guy it was a shame she didn’t love him like she loved his best friend.