Deception

Friendship- A Bond Not To Be Broken

The next week, Mike had arranged a barbeque at his house for everyone to attend. It was kind of a going away party for them because they would hardly be back in the States until the end of December.

Cassie was looking forward to seeing Billie and being able to drink in his perfect face and hear his smooth, rich voice. On the other hand though, she was dreading it because Mike’s wife, Brittney and Adrienne got on famously, as well as the other musicians who toured along with the band’s wives. Cassie had never really clicked with any of them. She thought it was because they looked down on her for being so much younger than they were. The only one who was close to actually liking her was Brittney, who was only five years older, but even she didn’t seem overly excited to see her.

When these little barbeques usually occurred, Cassie would stick to Tre’s side or spend her time hanging out with the kids who all clicked together.

“Cassie, could you do me a favour today, beautiful?” Tre asked her as they were getting ready to leave; the kids were already in the car. Evidentially they loved these kind of events.

“Sure.”

“Could you maybe try and get along with the other guy’s wives?” His voice was pleading.

Cassie shook her head at him. This was not the first time he had asked this of her. He felt bad that she didn’t fit in with the other ladies.

“Tre, you know I tried but they don’t seem to like me. The only time they talk to me is when we’re alone. You know that.” Cassie sighed a little sadly, it would have been nice to be friends with people who understood how hard it was to have a massively famous rock star for a boyfriend.

“Yeah, I know. You don’t have to come if you don’t want to.”

“Are you telling me not to come?” Cassie said half jokingly, she was hoping he would say yes so she wouldn’t be obliged. She could live without seeing Billie Joe for another few days.

“Never, I’m just saying you do have a choice.”

Cassie knew better. It would look poor on her behalf if she didn’t show up. Then the other snobby wives would gossip about her and make up stories.

“I’ll come. It will be fun hanging out with the teens and babies.” Cassie stuck her tongue out, a bad habit she was picking up from Mona.

“Okay, then let’s go before the kids kill us for keeping them away from their friends.” Tre laughed and led her out the front door towards his shiny black Hummer.

***

As soon as the car had pulled up to the front of Mike and Brittney‘s home, Frankie and Mona jumped out from the backseat and ran around the side of the house to join the guests. As Cassie exited the car along with Tre, she saw Ramona, Stella and Joey walk off together and Frankito and Jakob paired off and went running to play.

Tre yelled to Frankito telling him not to get his new clothes dirty, but he knew it was in futility. Jakob and Frankie were both typical boys who loved to get muddy.

Cassie was eager to see who the rest of the guests were, hoping there wouldn’t be too many people there. She just wanted to get in and get out without having to socialise with people who really didn’t want to talk to her.

She was happy when she saw it was just Billie, Adrienne and their kids, Mike, Brittney and their two and of course herself, Tre and his kids. A nice, intimate gathering.

“Hey, Britt, Adie.” Cassie greeted them brightly.

Adrienne smiled but said nothing but Brittney, who was always a little bit nicer to her said hello and asked her to join them.

Cassie looked at Tre who was grinning encouragingly at her. Cassie nodded her head and sat to join the other two women. Tre left them alone to join the men who were busy cooking the barbeque.

“So, how have you been, Cassie?” Brittney asked.

“Really good. Very proud the guys did so well winning at the MTV awards a couple weeks ago.” Cassie smiled at the memory of them winning awards in three categories, much to her delight.

“Yeah, they did great,” Britt agreed. “How are the kids? I barely got to say hello to them before they all went running off together!”

“Oh, they’re fine. They get so excited when it comes to the other children. How are your kids?” Cassie made a point of speaking only to Brittany.

“Estelle has been so much happier since Mike and I got full custody of her. Her mother is drugged out and couldn’t look after the poor kid. She’s a lot more chipper now, which is awesome.” Britt explained of her step daughter. “And little Brixton is having a nap but he should be up soon and you can see him. I can’t believe he’s having his first birthday next month!”

Cassie thought to adorable little Brixton and all his fluffy blonde hair. He was Mike and Brittany’s child together as opposed to Stella being from a previous romance.

“Joseph and Jakob are good, too.” Adrienne said, noticing that she was being ignored. She had never enjoyed Cassie’s company. She thought she was far too young for Tre at only twenty-one.

Cassie didn’t acknowledge her, she merely turned her head to the side and made a comment about not being able to wait for the food to be ready because she was so hungry.

Brittney looked down uncomfortably and made a small noise in agreement. She had always liked Cassie, but since she had known Adie for longer, and Adie didn’t like her, she wanted to stay loyal to her close friend, so never got too friendly with Cass. It made little get-togethers like this awkward because they couldn’t all get along like she hoped.

“I’m going to go check on the kids. I think a few of them are in the tree house.” Cassie excused herself.

She could have sworn she heard Adrienne say something like, “I preferred Claudia.” After she had left the table, but she couldn’t be one hundred percent sure.

***

Cassie found Frankito and Jake playing with toy army men on the front veranda. ’Good,’ she thought ’They aren’t covered in muck.’

She heard the excited voices of the three older children in the tree house, like she thought they would be. As she climbed up, she heard them all shushing each other and giggling mischievously.