Arisen Wars: Viator

Bodies Left Unchecked

Wednesday, July 4th, 2008
2100 hours

Night fell over the campus with sudden urges to go out and watch the lights of the main building or sit within the confines of their rooms and watch them comfortably, if they were gifted with such a view.

The main building had lights planted behind the gargoyles that face toward each dormitory with fixed expressions of rage. The breeze was soft, coming from the east, making the flag wave playfully. The angel’s hair within the flag seemed to wave with the breeze as if it were alive. Its tear went in and out of view from where Ryan sat.

The gargoyles were more colorful now as fireworks began to set off marking the fourth year BATC had been opened and started its great knowledge-fest. Students littered the campus grounds in small groups or alone beneath a tree. Each watched, awed by the spectacular effects of each individual firework. It filled every one of their hearts with joy and high expectations for the new school-year.

Ryan sat up against the bed atop the floor, watching the lights, awestruck by the official sign of the new school-year. For a moment, he wished to call everyone to his room to watch the lights together, but everyone had gone asleep and lay within the confines of their own rooms.

Tobias slept within the room next to Ryan’s so as to be closer and within earshot of Ryan. He was the only one who knew how to calm Ryan during his traumatizing half-dreams. Ryan knew how to remember the dream when he was awake. If he were to fall asleep during the remembrance of the dream, then the dream would feel as if it were reality and panic would occur making him reenact his memories.

Ryan shuddered at the very thought of those memories. If he had one wish, it would be to forget them. He wished it so badly though they stuck to him as if they were some plague of some sort.

He stared at the main building easily putting aside his memories as the fireworks flashed excitedly. He pinned his legs against his chest with his arms wrapped around them. He wore a white shirt that seemed quite long, close to his knees, and shorts that were tight and small, but long enough for them not to seem as if they were underwear. His hair was loose, touching the floor he sat on and very curly, though he did not mind one bit.

All his life he’d wished for this moment to come. He wished for the moment he would live within the very first battling college made in America, in all of the world; all this just to live up to his brothers’ ways.

He chuckled cutely, still feeling ecstatic at his accomplishment. A pair of arms came around his neck grabbing at their wrists over his chest. A face fell to his side. He looked to his side and was merely inches from Amber’s face before she shot back. “Whoa! Kiss me wontcha.”

They laughed a bit as he turned back towards the window facing the main building. Leaning his head back atop her shoulder, he asked, “So what brings you to my humble abode?”

She laughed at this gesture replying, “Nothing! Well…yeah something, but…ah alright. I wanted to thank you…for earlier this morning…for what you did. I know it was you in my dream. I saw your face.”

Ryan’s eyes widened in surprise. All this time he thought it was just some crazy dream, but it actually took place within the emptiness of both their minds, a predicament he never thought possible. “Ah…well…you’re welcome?”

She looked at him, smiling. “What? You sound like you forgot or something.”

He turned to her grinning. “No, nothing. I just…you know…just out of curiosity, do you like me? Not to get off the subject or anything but I needed to make sure ‘cause sometimes a girl acts weird because they’re embarrassed.”

Her face reddened as she turned away saying very shy-like, “No! Why? Do you?”

“Not if you don’t,” he replied with slight charm.

She glanced at him then let out a deep sigh whispering, “Yeah I do…I like you.”

He chuckled, turning around and falling backwards, pulling her with him. She slid off the bed on top of Ryan very quickly. He held her around the waist as her arms were now around his neck. Her face reddened as her heart beat faster and faster. She never expected this nor did she expect to be this close this fast.

He looked at her with a hint of a burning passion that he did not show on his face, but within his eyes. Those baby blue eyes…they are so…perfect she thought to herself. “Why…why do I feel like I’ve loved you for so long?”

He knew right away why. He did not hesitate for a moment as he replied, “You loved Aniel…I look like Aniel…so in turn your feelings go to me instead of an angel that visits you in your dreams.” He looked at her a bit more deeply remembering a small detail, the engraving upon the hilt of his sword. “How do you know Aniel?”

Amber’s head dropped. She removed her arms from behind his neck and placed them on top of his chest so she may lay on them. Her voice was soft, close to a whisper. “I…I tried to commit suicide once…I hated this world. I-I lost my mother nine months ago.”

Her voice began to break. He could feel moisture atop his shirt as she cried softly without sobs. “You don’t need to continue…I know the rest…and I’m sorry. It hasn’t really been so long, but…I think I know the rest. Keyword ‘think’.”

She looked at Ryan, a bit surprised, but chuckled at his attempt to be a bit funny. “How?”

“Well…I dreamt one time that…I lost my mother but it really wasn’t my mother…I don’t know how to explain it. It was almost as if I had an out of body experience, but I can’t remember it. I take drugs that…make me not remember my dreams and sometimes I wonder whether I dream at all.”

A thought came to Ambers head, though she kept it to herself. She fixed her head so she would face him from where she laid her head. To her, he seemed like the perfect man. Not truly female, though not fully a man. She thought of it as a war between beauty and masculinity; grace and muscle. He, to her, seemed to be a jack-of-all-trades. She wanted nothing else in the world but that in a man and now that she had found one, she wanted nothing else but him.

Without warning he leaned forward slowly, she looked at him then closed her eyes instinctively and kissed him softly, gently. She did not pull away but moved in closer as she spread her legs and held his face between her hands.

They held the kiss and took breathes periodically though did not kiss rapidly and animal-like but softly and passionately as if they meant to do this their entire lives and finally got a chance to let it be. To let it run free as they wished for once without the boundaries of subconscious visions and miles and miles of distance between them.

Amber stopped abruptly, noticing how fast her heart beat and how fast they moved before they started a relationship. Though she did not wish to date him…she wanted to make love with him. A bodily urge she made herself think so that she may make some sense of the situation since she could not think of any other way to explain it to herself. “I can’t…I can’t do this.”

He could feel her hearts desire through her quivering fingers as they connected with his own. He wanted her badly though knew quite well his self that he had to begin a relationship before he could move into intimacy. An unnaturally calm feeling remained within him. He dared not admit it, but he knew for a fact that this calm feeling, the feeling of doing such things as he was about to do, only came from past experience.

“I’m sorry,” he said feeling a bit guilty for starting the moment by a mere forward movement of his head.

“No don’t be…I should be. I…if I hadn’t had come over to thank you…none of this could’ve happened. Let’s…try to take it easy, okay?”

She sat up on top of his legs though her legs were still spread apart slightly. Her silk nightgown pulled up a bit, just barely exposing her undergarments. He lay flat on his back, but after a moment or two he came up and put his hand on her cheek, caressing it softly with his thumb. He let his poetic heart go and replied, “Then let it be so…let it be that our bodies’ desire be left alone so as to fulfill our hearts desire.”

She looked up at him. Tears fell as she lunged forward and hugged him tightly in joy, whispering, “Thank you…again Aniel.”

He smiled hugging her a little tighter. “You’re welcome…my dear child.”

They held each other tightly not letting go. Although they agreed not to engage in an intimate relationship they could not fight away this feeling they held. To them, it seemed to be an old tug of bodily passion, an ancient tug of a lover’s body across distance and time.