Status: Complete

I'm Just a Good Girl Gone Bad

South Bend, Indiana

“Grab the money from under the cactus, I'll grab our things and help mom into the car,” Tony told me as he threw mom's car keys at me. I went over to the dead cactus and I lifted up the plant, there was over 1,000 dollars there probably from mom's stash. I stuffed the money into my pocket, walked out the door without locking it behind me. If someone breaks into our apartment dad can deal with it, he deserves that. I looked over and my mom was laid out in the back seat as Tony was sitting in the passenger seat, I had to drive. I got into my mom's old station wagon and I looked dead straight at Tony. I had no idea where to go. Across the country?

“Where are we running to?” I asked him and I pressed the key into the ignition. Tony looked at me for a long second and he probably was randomly trying to think of a state far from New York. Wherever we go, our dad won't even bother to look for us. He has plenty of other women that would love to stay with him.

“Washington!” Tony smiled and my mouth dropped open. Washington as in the state all the way up in the left corner of America? I guess it was ideal if we wanted to run away from dad forever. He would never expect us to be in the state of Washington.

“Do you know how long that will take to get there?” I shrieked as I started the car up and shifted into drive. Going to Washington was going to take longer than a day, maybe a week. But I know Tony; he would only allow me to exit the highway for food and restroom stops. Tony and I would trade off if one of us got tired of driving at night, but I knew Tony would drive more than me. Tony was demanding and over protective of me.

“Yeah, three days if you go eighty!” Tony laughed and I gave him a dirty look, I was not going to go eighty miles per hour. Maybe seventy-five or seventy, but not the whole eighty. Tony just shook his head at me and I knew eventually he was going to take over before we exited the highway.

“I am not going to drive eighty...” I whispered as Tony caught what I had said, he rolled his eyes. I pulled over and switched the car back into park; Tony took over and jammed the car back into drive. He didn't care if he got pulled over for speeding; we have enough money for one ticket. I was tired and I didn't want to drive anyways, we would get there faster with Tony driving. I passed out, I didn't care that I was in the passenger seat, I needed to sleep a couple of more hours.

“Get out of the way you old hag!” My mom yelled honking the car horn at someone driving slow in front of us. She woke me up, I realized that it was four o'clock in the afternoon and we just passed a sign, “Welcome to South Bend, Indiana.”

“Oh my fucking god! Where in Indiana?” I said to myself and my mom nodded while she drove. I was still shocked of the image of my mom driving, I looked behind me and Tony was sleeping silently.

“Yeah babe, Indiana! I'm glad you both decided to go to Washington! I think we'll like it much better there,” My mom confessed as she was just passing a big Wal*Mart semi. I'm scared of so called Washington, it's probably deserted and rainy.

“Rain, rain, more rain,” I muttered as I felt my cell phone vibrate. I reached for my cell phone, I had over ten messages from all of my friends. Some asked why I wasn't answering, others asked why I wasn't at school, and others just said a simple “Wazz up Bree?”. I deleted all of them without a reply.

“So, how long was I sleeping for?” I asked my mom and she looked confused for a second. She probably didn't even remember when we got in the car, so she had to try to remember very well. I just didn't know I was going to sleep almost the whole first car ride. I thought I was going to sleep until Tony got tired, but he had other plans.

“Well I woke up around when we got into Ohio. So probably a good nine hours, so you got a good night's sleep. Tony didn't want to wake you up and I was already awake, so I took over,” My mom explained in her thick New York accent that Tony and I inherited from her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Fact #2: From Bronx to Forks it's 3,068 miles or 45 hours when you take I-90 West.