I Will Not Kiss You

Chapter 15

Mikey and I decided to stay up in my room. Sometimes we stay downstairs in the living room because it’s next to the kitchen. However, as we got in through the front door, Mom produced a plastic bag and said she’d gotten us some supplies. We said thank you. Mom always does that. She’s a very thoughtful person.

“I saw you flirting with my brother!” Mikey said, as I pulled out the spare mattress from under my bed.

“What?” I asked, going out to the airing cupboard to get a spare duvet and pillow for him.

I pulled out my old dinosaurs one from when I was a kid. Mikey loves it for some weird reason. I don’t actually know what the weird reason is but he says he loves it so I just give it to him. I took it back into my room and made the mattress up for him.

“I saw you flirting with Gerard.”

“What? I wasn’t flirting with him.”

“You so were.” He teased, smiling so that I knew he was joking.

“I wasn’t,” I laughed “I don’t even know how to flirt!”

“It comes naturally,” He explained “Sometimes you don’t even realise you’re doing it.”

He looked at me wisely, making me feel weird. I didn’t know what to say so I pretended to still be making up the bed for him. There was a light thump on the floor as he sat down on the floor beside me.

“D’you like Gerard?” He asked.

“Yeah,” I replied “He’s nice. And he makes me laugh.”

“Yeah, but…I meant do you like like him?”

“Oh, you mean…” I wavered “Do you mean like…wanting to go out with him?”

“Yeah.”

I didn’t say anything. Gerard is really nice to me and he makes me laugh but I’ve only known him for a week and two days. I like him a lot and he’s funny but I barely know him. And I’ve never really like liked anyone before. I don’t really think about it. Another person is just another person to me. I’ve never really understood this whole liking people thing and wanting to kiss them and stuff.

“’Cause I think he likes you.” Mikey continued.

“He does?!” I questioned, confused.

“I think so. He was holding your hand for crying out loud.”

“He was only showing me how to hold a pencil properly when you’re drawing.”

Mikey raised his eyebrows, making me laugh. He laughed with me and searched through his overnight bag, producing a pair of PJ bottoms and excusing himself to the bathroom to change. I just took my jeans off so that I was in my t-shirt and boxers. While I was waiting for Mikey, I lay back on my bed and thought about what he’d said. How did he know that Gerard might like like me when I didn’t have a clue. Then again, I’m not the best at knowing this sort of thing.

Mikey came back into the room and settled down under the duvet on the mattress. I’d put all the snacks down in the space between the mattress and my bed. I reached down and got myself a handful of the popcorn we’d cooked up in the kitchen while Mikey helped himself to twizzlers.

“I still think he likes you!”

“What?”

“Gee. I think he does like you.”

“Jesus, Mikey. Cut it out. He doesn’t. He’s just nice.”

“But do you know that?” He teased, taking a bite of twizzler.

“No but I’m pretty sure. And I’m hardly ever wrong, am I.”

“True. But I think you’re wrong about this! What would you do if he asked you out?”

“I don’t know.” I replied truthfully.

It’s not like I get many offers anyway. No one wants to date the ‘spazzer’ but that’s fine by me. Dating probably isn’t something I’d like very much.

“Would you say yes?”

“I don’t know. I’ve never been on a date, you know that.”

“There’s a first time for everything.”

“Not for me.”

“Even for you, my unattractive little friend.” He teased.

“I’m not unattractive!” I exclaimed, throwing a skittle at him.

He laughed and threw one back. We started up a skittle fight until my Mom came up and told us to cut it out or we’d be doing all her housework for her tomorrow.