I Will Not Kiss You

Chapter 20

The squeaking of balls and shoes echoed through the huge room. Luckily the gym was so big that the shouting didn’t sound that bad so I wasn’t scared. It is, of course, a Monday and we’re in the hall playing basketball for gym class before lunch. I’m quite good at basketball and because it’s non-contact I can play it. I just have to be careful that I don’t let too many people smother me. I could see Mikey struggling along behind everyone else. He was bright red and sweating and his glasses were steamed up. I wanted to go and check on him but the coach yelled at us both and gave us detention last time.

“Frank!” Someone shouted, bounce passing the ball to me.

I caught the ball and dribbled with it, sprinting up to the basket. My marker followed me so I passed the ball to someone called Aaron. He’s one of Ellis’s friends and he has blonde hair and brown eyes. He’s also very tall so he’s good at basketball. But he’s not a very nice person because he laughs when Ellis picks on me. Aaron couldn’t get the ball into the basket because he was too close so I dodged around my marker and waved a hand to show I was free. He chest passed to me and I made the shot. The ball hit the rim of the basket and fell through.

“Good job.” Aaron nodded awkwardly.

I shrugged and said ‘Thanks’. Mikey looked awful at this point. The coach told him to take five. Then he stopped me and told me to as well because he thought I looked tired.

“Good fast break by the way.” He complimented.

“Thanks.”

Mikey was resting against the wall, panting hard. I told him to put his hands on his head because it makes the lungs more open so it’s easier to breathe. But he was panting hard and starting to wheeze.

“Have you got your inhaler?”

He shook his head but searched the pockets of his shorts anyway. I asked him if he had brought it in with him and given it to the coach but he shook his head again. Mikey has asthma and I’m used to seeing him have asthma attacks. And sometimes he forgets to bring his inhaler with him when we have gym. He’ll put it in his bag and then forget to take it with him.

“Shall I go and get it?”

He nodded. So I ran towards the exit. Then someone grabbed me by my shoulder. I yanked it away roughly and shouted ‘Get off’ at whoever it was. The coach had seen me running for the locker room and grabbed me.

“Where are you going?” He questioned.

“Mikey’s having an asthma attack!” I said impatiently “I have to get his inhaler for him.”

“Why didn’t you say so?” He demanded.

“I did!”

“Ok, whatever, just get Mikey’s inhaler and hurry up!”

So I ran out of the gym and into the locker room. Mikey had left his bag in his locker, next to mine. I rooted through his bag. He keeps it in the left side pocket. I unzipped the pocket and sighed in relief to find his blue inhaler. I don’t want him getting hurt because of an asthma attack. When I went back into the hall and handed it to him, he took a few puffs on it and started to breathe correctly again. I breathed out in relief and went ‘Phew’. The coach told him to go and sit outside with me for a moment. So we went out and perched uncomfortably on the low little wall. Mikey looked around.

“So, I-uh…I was talking to Gee last night.”

“Well that makes sense seeing as you live under the same roof.”

He laughed.

“I was talking to him about you.”

“What about me?”

“I asked him if he…y’know…liked you.”

“Mikey.” I groaned, slapping my forehead.

“He said he’d ask you out if he could.”

What?!”

“Ask you out,” He repeated “Y’know, like a date.”

“But I can’t!”

“Why not?”

“I don’t date. And I don’t even know if I like like guys.”

“Hey, chill,” He smiled “He thinks you’d say no anyway. He said you’re probably straight as an ironing board.”

“Does that mean I only like girls?”

“Yeah. If I said Gee’s as straight as a circle-“

“But a circle isn’t straight.”

“Exactly. It means he’s gay.”

“Oh I get it.”

Mikey smiled and slowly reached out, putting an arm round my shoulders and giving me a quick squeeze. I smiled but didn’t return this gesture.

“But anyway, Gerard definitely likes you.”

“But I don’t know if I like him!”

“Don’t worry Frankie; he thinks you’re not interested anyway.” He replied “But if you are I can drop a little hint in for you.” He added, winking and making me laugh.

I shrugged hopelessly, not knowing what to think.

“He’s my friend, Mikey. I can’t like like him because I don’t even know how to like like someone.”

He rolled his eyes and slowly reached out to ruffle my hair. I ducked my head, giggling.

“I’m just saying, if you ever do decide that you like him in that way, I can put a good word in for you.” He explained.

“Ok,” I mocked “Ok, Mikey, if that ever happens you can put a good word in for me.”