I Will Not Kiss You

Chapter 27

Mikey freaked out when he saw me and Gerard hug for the first time ever. This means he got very excited but ‘freak out’ can also mean getting very scared or angry. Gerard was waiting outside the school gate and when we came out and went over to see him, he asked me if it was ok to hug me. So I let him hug me.

“Oh my God, you guys!” Mikey exclaimed “Next you’ll be kissing, and then getting married and having babies-“

“Mikey, shut up,” Gerard ordered, stepping away from me “We’re just having a friendly hug.”

“But then a friendly hug becomes a loving hug and a loving hug becomes a romantic hug, which becomes a passionate hug-“

“Shut up,” Gerard laughed “You need to get a life.”

I laughed because I know what this means. It doesn’t mean that Gerard thinks Mikey is dead, like it sounds, it means that Gerard thinks Mikey doesn’t do anything with his life. For example, someone who always wants to hear about other peoples business might be told to get a life which means people are implying they have nothing better to do than hear about other peoples lives.

But Gerard didn’t mean it in a horrible way because I asked him afterwards and he said ‘No’.

“Aww, you look so cute,” Mikey exclaimed “You need to go on another date sometime.”

“We’ve never been on a date,” I insisted “We’ve been on a not-date.”

Yeah, you tell him.” Gerard replied.

“I did.”

“Ok, then.”

I smiled at him and turned to Mikey, still smiling. He smiled back and slowly lifted his arms to hug me.

“So, what are you doing now?” He asked.

“I’m going to Dad’s for the first time since we had that big fight. But I’m not going to pay attention to him because I don’t like him anymore.”

“Maybe you should listen to what he says,” Mikey suggested “He might want to explain. You don’t have to talk, just listen.”

I didn’t say anything because I didn’t know how I felt about this. Mikey looked at me, smiling. But I didn’t smile back because I was thinking about Dad and the last time we had a fight. I don’t want to see him but Mom said I can’t stay mad forever.

“We’ll walk you there, yeah?” Gerard suggested.

“I don’t mind.” I said.

So Gerard and Mikey decided to walk with me. I don’t like Dad any more. I don’t want to see him. . .

. . . “Hey, kiddo.” Dad smiled, holding his hand out.

I just stared at it for about a minute until he dropped his hand again. And then Nadine came out behind him and I stared at her. She smiled and asked how I was but I didn’t talk. She was wearing a pale pink, long-sleeved top and some light blue jeans. I thought she looked strange without a suit on but I didn’t say this because it’s rude.

“I hope you’re hungry,” She said loudly with a smile “I’ve made vegetarian Bolognese just for you.”

I didn’t talk and I just walked into my bedroom, closing the door. Ben and Harry were sitting on my bed with drawing pads and colouring pencils. They were both scribbling in the colours red, green and blue. I told them to go away but they wouldn’t so I began to feel very angry.

They still didn’t leave, even after I asked them nicely five times. So I snatched their pencils up and threw them into the hall so that they’d run out and I could shut the door on them. This worked because they are little children and little children aren’t always as smart as people who are older than them. This is why they sometimes walk off with strange men who promise to give them candy when they just want to do bad, sexual things to them.

I wondered if they’d lie to Dad again to get me in trouble. If Dad shouts, I’ll just walk home or call Mom again.