I Will Not Kiss You

Chapter 5

I was in my bed and I knew time had passed because sunlight was shining through my blinds. My head hurt and I felt dizzy when I stood up. I put my arm out to my side and tried to steady myself as I walked out into the main room.

Dad was sitting at the table, drinking coffee. He looked up when I stumbled into the room. I didn’t say anything to him; I walked into the kitchen and made myself some cereal and coffee. Dad watched as I sat opposite him and ate my cereal quietly.

“How d’you feel?” He asked.

“Like crap.” I replied.

He flinched at my choice of words. I’m not really supposed to swear but when I’m really annoyed or angry I can’t help it. I don’t really swear around Mom and Dad. They’ve heard me swear a few times and, each time, I got a severe telling off.

“Do you want to take the day off school?”

“I have to go get ready for school.” I said, getting up and walking into the bathroom.

I took a shower to try and wake myself up. It helped a little bit. When I got out the shower, I wrapped a towel around my waist and pattered across into my bedroom. I dried myself off and pulled some clean clothes and underwear on. It was a long sleeved red shirt and a pair of jeans with my vans from the previous night. Then I brushed my teeth and sat on the couch, watching TV. Dad watched me the whole time.

“Are you ok?”

“Leave me alone.”

“Frank? What is it?”

“You hurt me last night,” I snapped “You touched me and you wouldn’t let me go.”

“Because you scared me!” He replied “I’ve told you not to wander off in the middle of the night; even if it does look nice! Someone might hurt you.”

“You shouldn’t have grabbed me.”

“And I’m sorry.”

“No you’re not.”

“I am.”

I didn’t say anything. He came and sat beside me so I shifted away from him.

“C’mon Frank.” He said pleadingly.

“I’m scared of you.”

“Why?”

“You hurt me.”

“Please talk to me.”

“I am.”

“You know what I mean.”

“Leave me alone.”

“Frank.”

“What?”

“Don’t be like that.”

“What happened anyway?” I questioned.

“Someone called an ambulance and they gave you a sedative.”

Then the buzzer went and I went to answer it, happy to get away from Dad.

“Hello?”

“Hey hey hey it’s meeeee!” Sang Mikey’s voice.

“Hi Mikey; c’mon up.” I replied happily, pressing the buzzer.

He was at the door moments later. He grinned madly when he saw me and slowly lifted his arms. I let him hug me, clinging to his t-shirt.

“Hey it’s great to see you too!” He laughed, patting my back.

“Can we go now?”

“Yeah sure.”

I grabbed my bag from my room and re-joined Mikey in the main room. He was talking to Dad so I took his arm and pulled him back in case Dad hurt him too.

“Bye then.” Dad called.

I didn’t say ‘Good-bye’. I said ‘I don’t think I’ll be coming on Friday’ and shut the door. Mikey’s eyebrows went together. I don’t know what this means. Chrissie told me it can mean angry, confused, focused or you’re very stupid. It depends on how long they do it for, what shape their mouth is, if their eyes are narrowed and what you said or did before.

“Why not?” He asked.

“Huh?”

“Why aren’t you coming here on Friday?”

“Because he hurt me last night.”

“How?” He asked, widening his eyes slightly. Chrissie told me this can mean ‘Worried’ so I guessed he was worried.

“He grabbed me and wouldn’t let me go,” I replied, remembering how scared I am “It really hurt! And I screamed because he wouldn’t let go.”

“Did an ambulance come?” He questioned.

“Yeah…how’d you know?”

“I heard the sirens.”

“Oh.”

“But you’re ok, right?”

“I’m fine; they put me to sleep to stop me screaming and hitting my head.”

“Oh.”

“And now I’m scared of Dad in case he hurts me again.”

“He won’t hurt you, Frank! He loves you.”

“So why did he hurt me?”

“I’m sure he didn’t mean to hurt you!” Mikey promised “Why did he grab you anyway?”

“Because I went outside to see the stars again.”

“Well that’s why he grabbed you! He’s told you not to do it, right?”

“Actually he’s asked me,” I argued “So and asking makes it optional!”

“But he asked you, assuming you’d not do it again!”

“Then he should have told me not to do it!”

“Honestly Frankie,” Mikey laughed “What are we gonna’ do with you?”

“I dunno’, what are you gonna’ do with me?”

“God knows.”

I laughed. Mikey laughed with me, slowly putting his arm around me.

“I know you’ll probably say no,” He suddenly said “But do you wanna’ come over to my house tonight?”

“Um…”

I’d really like to go to Mikey’s. It’s not that I don’t want to; it’s that it’s a new place I’ve never been to before. If I’d been there before, I’d go.

“It’s not that I don’t want to,” I promised “It’s just that I’ve never been there before.”

“That’s ok,” Mikey reassured “I understand.”

I thought for a moment. I’d really like to go back with him but I can’t go back to a strange place.

“Hey! What if I draw a plan of it?” He suddenly piped up.

“Huh?”

“I’ll draw a plan of my house.”

“Why?”

“Because then you’ll know what it’s like,” He explained “Will you be allowed to go then?”

“Ahhh,” I replied, catching on “Ok, draw one later.”

What d'you think of the new layout guys?