‹ Prequel: The Red Hot Tamales

Suga Babies

Screw up

Liliana

It smelled in here. Like old people. I hated that smell. It smelled sickly sweet to me, mixed in with the unmistakable smell of shit. I glared at the guy who was currently being wheeled off to get his diapers changed. We had to serve ice cream at the Veteran's Home. Part of our community service.

"So, Dade, you'll be scooping the ice cream. And Liliana, you'll be putting the stuff on top." the bouncy red-haired organizer named Ana explained, handing us both a green smock. We leaned against the wall, Dade rubbing the back of his neck. Fifteen minutes later, we had people lining up. My mood sunk lower and lower as the time passed. I just didn't like old people. Well no that's not true, it's the thought of getting old that I hate. These people just remind me of how helpless I will be when I get older.

Like the man in the diaper, how he lost all control over his body and it's functions. He sits all day in a wheel chair with his oxygen tank, just staring into space and occasionally shitting and pissing himself. Or The lady over in the corner. She lost all her memory. To wake up every morning, not knowing who you are. Having family come to visit and not being able to remember them. Seeing the pained expression on their faces when you don't know who they are, wondering why they were talking to you and who they were. I was snapped out of my internal thinking when a man came up, not knowing what he wanted on his ice cream.

I glared as I threw both onto his ice cream, noting that he had both chocolate and strawberry. Guess he couldn't decide on that either. I heard Ana groan from somewhere behind me as the old man shuffled off. Ana appeared at my shoulder and leaned to whisper in my ear.

"Please pretend to be nice... It makes the residents happy." I sighed and forced a smile.

"Young man, that's TOO much!" I looked over to see Dade's head snap from my direction to the Styrofoam bowl in his hands. He had giving the old lady four scoops more than he was supposed to. He blushed and took the four scoops off of her ice cream. She huffed at him.

"Stop staring at your girlfriend young man and pay attention! I know she is pretty, but PAY ATTENTION!" Dade blushed even more and my jaw dropped. This old bat thought we were dating? Eww! She glared at both of us before spinning around and marching away. Ana giggled from next to me, no doubt laughing at our shocked and amazed faces.

"Okay you two, back to work." Ana said, just as another group of people came up to the table.

Just how many old people were there in this building?

~*~Later~*~

We finally got out of that wretched building. I looked around at the perfect Autumn day, the leaves were golden and still on the trees. It wasn't to hot or to cool out, a comfortable warmth. I smiled and turned towards Dade, who was staring at me.

"Lets go get some coffee. I will pay." Dade looked surprised. I was surprised too. Did I seriously just ask Dade for some coffee? What the hell? Who was I, and what did I do with myself?

"Ummm... Sure? Why not?" Dade said while shrugging. I smiled and started to head to my favorite place to get coffee. Dunkin Donuts. As soon as I smelled the coffee when I entered the building, I started to grin like a loon. I ordered a medium sized iced latte with mocha swirl. Dade ordered a strawberry coolatta. I paid for the drinks and we sat down and drank our drinks. An awkward silence settled over us.

"So... wasn't it funny when that lady thought we were dating?" Dade tried making some small talk. I smiled and contributed.

"That was pretty funny. Funnier that she thought I was pretty." I sipped on my latte and stared out the window. I saw a familiar face.

"Seems like your friend Jess is stalking us." Dade's head snapped up from whatever he was thinking about and scanned the crowd. As soon as his eyes landed on Jess he groaned. Jess was just standing there staring at us, his mouth hanging open.

"What the hell is he staring at?" I was getting annoyed and uncomfortable with him staring at us like that.

"I don't know. I just want to leave now." Dade stood up, grabbing his drink and started to head out of Dunkin Donuts. I grabbed mine and followed him. By time we got out of Dunkin's, Jess was gone.

"Where the hell did he go? Damn, that boy is like Houdini!" I said. Dade chuckled while scanning the crowd.

"Yea, he does that sometimes." Dade shook his head and started to walk towards the fountain where we had to wait for the parents to pick us up. I followed and sat on the rim of the fountain. The parents finally got there and we went our separate ways. I went home and went straight to the bathroom. The blood was flowing down my arms and I thought to myself how funny it was that me and Dade had to be stuck together. I was a major fuck up, and he was just perfect. He probably didn't do shit like this when he got home.

Somehow, I have been thinking about Dade a lot. I don't know why, I hate him. But he seems to be in every thought I have. It was starting to irritate me. I sighed and cleaned up the blood and bandaged my arms then headed to bed.

Why am I such a screw up?

Then everything went fuzzy as I slipped into my dreams.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woot!

Kayti: your turn baby! ;)