‹ Prequel: The Red Hot Tamales

Suga Babies

Only When I Stop To Think About It

Dade

"Is it alright if I walk home with Kelsey, Mom?" I asked. She nodded, took Dad's hand and they headed to our car.

"Why're we walking? I'm not dressed for a walk." Kelsey said softly.

"We're not going far. I'll carry you the rest of the way." I replied. She smiled and I took her hand. We didn't talk as I lead her past the spa garden. There was a park a block away. I made a point to come back to the garden once I dropped her off at home.

I can't believe I accidentally called her Lily. I've never once called her Lily. If I have, it's because the parents were watching. I can't stand her and here I am calling her Lily. Slip of the tongue, right? It's gotta be. The parents kept saying it during dinner, it must've just gotten stuck. It was definitely a slip of the tongue. I mean, Lily? Really?

Kelsey smiled when we turned into the old rundown park Dad used to take me to. He'd told me about how when his dad, my grandfather was at work and his mom, my grandmother who died of liver failure before I was born would get falling down drunk. He told me about how he would watch Ardith while she slept on the slide, covered in just a hoodie. He told me about how he'd sit next to her and stare up at the moon. He used to describe it perfectly, I'd go up to my room and write it down, stick it in a notebook. That notebook is stuffed under my desk with my old school notebooks. I'm a pack rat when it comes to my English notebooks. I always had the best class that did the most stuff. Most of the kids weren't excited about it, not like I was. I loved doing Shakespeare, I love reading poetry, I love the novels and group debates. I'm a weird one.

"This place, it's so calm." Kelsey let go of my hand. She lifted her feet out of her flats and pressed her feet into the sand. She twirled, smiling as her skirt and pink hair flew out in concentric circles. I sat on a swing as watched. She was truly beautiful. I watched as she laughed, her eyes closed. I couldn't believe it, how beautiful she was under the flickering streetlamps. They couldn't decide if they were to be on or off.

Almost an hour passed before Kelsey settled into my lap, her hands running through my hair. I kissed her, running my hands down her sides. She giggled.

"This isn't what I intended." she said, pressing her palms against my chest. I pulled back.

"I should be getting home actually. But before, I should talk to you about tonight. I mean, you really like Cat, don't you?"

"What? No! Why do people keep saying that? I hate her."

"Yeah, sure, Dade." she rolled her eyes. I put my hands on her hips and looked up at her dark brown eyes before she continued, "I love you but you and I can't be anything if you're interested in her. I saw the way you looked at her during dinner. I know you can't tell because the girl always makes the first move with you while you always make the last. You're a great guy but... I can't pretend that you're into me."

"Kelsey, I am."

"No, don't give me that. I'm not going to be in your way."

"But Kels..."

"Dade, I will help you get Cat but after that, we're nothing but friends." she said with a smile.

"But.... Kelsey."

"Yes, this is me breaking up with you. But to Cat, we're still together. She seemed a little agitated that I was there tonight. I think she likes you too."

"Bullshit."

She shrugged and got up, taking my hand. She pulled me along.

She's crazy, I thought, following her to her house. When we got there, she simply kissed me on the cheek and went inside. She shut the door and I leaned my forehead against her front door. What have I gotten myself into?

-

I headed out of the car, waving to my mom. I grabbed the poker from the woman and a trash bag. I put my headphones in my ears and began my work. Three songs into my work day, Whoever She Is by The Maine started playing.

"I thought I had my girl but she ran away
My car got stolen and I'm gonna be late
For work this week, make that the fourth day straight
But I'm fine with it (you don't have to worry)
I thought I had it all but I gave it away
I quit that old job and now I'm doing okay
Those material things, they can't get in my way
Cuz I'm over it

But where ever she may be
She could be money, cars, fear of the dark
Your best friends are just strangers in bars
Who ever she is, who ever she may be
One things for sure,
You don't have to worry (you don't have to worry)

And this is the part
Where you find out who you are
And these are your friends
Those who've been there from the start
So to hell with the bad news
Dirt on your new shoes
It rained all of May til the month of June

But wherever she may be
She could be money, cars, fear of the dark
Your best friends are just strangers in bars
Who ever she is, who ever she may be
One things for sure,
You don't have to worry

And every day in every way
She looks the same
And every care you used to have
Just seems to float away
And every day in every way
She looks the same
And every care you used to have
Just seems to float away

To hell with the new shit
Whether or not you think you fit in

She could be money, cars, fear of the dark
Your best friends are just strangers in bars
Where ever she is, who ever she may be
One things for sure,
You don't have to worry
She could be rainy days, minimum wage
A book that ends with no last page
Who ever she is, who ever she may be
One things for sure,
You don't have to worry"


I growled and looked up, watching Cat talk to Tony. I watched as she flirted with the selfish bastard. I seethed inside, a burning fury. I wanted to tear him apart, gouge out his eyes, slam him into a locker and punt him down the soccer field. I wanted him to feel pain. I wanted him to be truly humiliated. I wanted to take that pretty dark head of his and rip it from his neck. I wanted to rip his head off and spit down his windpipe. That would be justice.

But...... why?
♠ ♠ ♠
wow, intense.... 2 in the morning and here it is, about 5 hours later...
:)
hoped you like it. COMMENT!

Ty: hope you liked it as well, love you

-kayt