‹ Prequel: The Red Hot Tamales

Suga Babies

Too Much Time To Think About It

Dade

“Hey man, it’s Jess. Uhm…. I don’t know if you can hear me. I’m sorry for the shit I’ve said. I don’t know what got into me. You and Cat being a couple is just ridiculous. I mean, come on, you’re like oil and water, water and fire, black and white, anorexic chicks and a piece of chocolate cake. You don’t mix. I know that. I guess, I was just being stupid. I don’t want to lose you, man. You’re still my best friend. I hope you can hear me. No Mexican whore should get between us, eh? Yeah. Get better soon, Dade. Hold on… and stuff.”

Jess stopped by one day, but honestly, it could’ve never happened. What was going on and what my mind kept dredging up was blurry. I remembered memories, some that I wasn’t sure existed and some I never wanted to remember.

“Explain to me, why we’re doing this,” I said, following Jess down the road to the middle class end of town. He grinned. There was nothing good about that mischievous smile. I always got in trouble after that smile. It was inevitable. I was used to that smile followed quickly by Mom and Dad screaming at me and Jess, with Dehlia and Jess’ dad Jim standing behind them.

“Because. You and I need a little B&E!” Jess explained. It was dark and it didn’t seem to matter where we were going. Jess was scanning houses, looking for one that looked appealing.

“Why do we need a B&E?” I asked quietly. He shrugged.

“Aren’t you a little sick of being perfect Dade all the time? I can do no wrong Dade? Mr Dade ‘my mommy and daddy are my heros’ Sherman?” he asked. I chewed on my lip. He turned to look as me, facing me as we walked.

“Fine. Let’s do this!”

He high-fived me and grinned evilly. I followed him around the corner and to a dark house. He snuck into the yard, running along the shadows of the fence. I crept behind, heart pounding. I couldn’t believe I agreed to this. I was disappointed in myself. Where was my conscience then?


June 15th, 2027: The day I lost my morals. It’s all Jess’ fault. But what made it worse, the whole ordeal didn’t get me in trouble. We were never caught. That’s what made my morality and common sense shrink even faster. I was a 15 year old punk who could do whatever he pleased and get away with it. I thought I owned the world. I thought I was the shit.

Lily Cat came back every few days. Or what seemed like every few days to me. I had this kind of schedule that I kept to while unconscious. I could hear everything around me for most of the “day”, as if I were awake. And then I would “fall asleep” which normally involved losing all sense of who I was for a few “hours”. Then there was the “dream” stage, in which I could remember things more vividly than if I were awake and conscious. If that makes sense, which I don’t really think it does.

But anyway, about Cat, she would come and sit beside me, sometimes talking to me about stuff that was happening, and sometimes she wouldn’t make a sound. But more often than not, she’d start crying. I had this strange pang in my heart to reach out to her and tell her it’s alright. I shouldn’t’ve. It didn’t matter if Cat was crying. She didn’t matter to me.

“Dade, it’s been almost 3 weeks. Why won’t you come back?” It was her. She had snuck in without making a sound. I wondered how long she’d been there, if she’d said anything while I was in the dark. I didn’t like missing out on what was happening. I tried to force myself to “fall asleep” once I heard the nurse announce that it was the end of visiting hours.

I wanted to wake up already. I wanted to leap out of bed and throw my arms around her. It was that twinge that struck me deep down.

“Dade, come with me,” Jess hissed through my open window. I turned and faced my friend, staring in disbelief. He was perched on the tree branch a few feet from my windowsill. Jess was particularly good at climbing, which means he could climb the damn near impossible tree without a problem.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“A party. It’s gonna be great,” he winked.

“Jess, I’m sorry, but no party is ever great. I know you are all into parties and shit, man, but no party is ever this epic adventure you make it out to be,” I explained to him.

“Whatever, fun sucker. Just come with me. It’s that or sit here, in your room all night, reading or something.”

“Fine. I’m coming. But only because you need someone to look after your drunken ass,” I replied. I ruffled my hair and stood up from my chair.

“I’ll meet you by the stop sign and the end of the street,” he said and dropped out of sight.


That night, I remember, was the worst night to go out with Jess. I did something pretty stupid stuff. I drank, a lot. I was no longer responsible for my actions. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what caused a bunch of trouble for both me and Cat.

“Dade, are you drunk?” one of my friends asked. I shrugged sloppily.

“Maybe,” I slurred. I got up and stumbled to the kitchen for another glass of whatever it was that I was drinking. Or whatever I happened to pick up. I staggered into the counter and howled as the edge went sharply into my hip. I whimpered pitifully and pressed my palms into the spot, as if it’d been shot.

“Dade!” someone slurred. I looked towards the sound. It was a girl. It was a very pretty girl. It was a very pretty girl in a very low-cut top and short shorts. I grinned and went towards her, tripping over my own two feet. She grabbed my shoulders and I slipped my arms around her thin waist. She looked up at me with familiar brown eyes, winked and pressed her soft lips into mine. I slipped my hands under the back of her top, resting them on the small of her back. She shivered and pressed herself into me. Her tongue glided teasingly along my bottom lip, then the top. I walked us backwards until her back hit the wall. She ran her own hands up into my hair. She tugged gently, pulling me closer. I slipped my tongue into her mouth, catching her off guard. We went at it for quite a while. I ended up shirtless and her shorts were open, showing off her white cotton underwear. It wasn’t until Jess stormed in and pulled me away from the girl. I waved as I was hauled away. I never saw that girl again.


I don’t know how long it was until I was aware of someone talking near me.

“Dade, we love you. Please, don’t leave us. Please. We’re sorry… I’m sorry. For everything. If you wake up, I promise you that I will be home more often. I’ll come home and work in the study. I promise. I love you. You’re my little boy,” I heard Mom blubbering. I tried to reach her, to take her hand and comfort her. I was powerless. Nothing moved. My limbs were no longer connected to my brain. I tried lashing out, screaming and crying. Nothing worked.

“Mrs. Sherman? We need to talk. Your son’s brain activity is fully-functioning but for some reason, he’s not any closer to waking up.”

No! I’m right here! I can hear you! I’m fine!

“What are you saying?” Mom asked.

“Cooper… we think your son might never come out of this coma.”

Mom sobbed and begged God to let me go, to let me stay here with her.

Mom! I’m right here. I’m fine! I love you too!

Nothing.

Twitch your hand, Dade, I demanded. Nothing… then…

“Oh, my god!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Mhm....... I updated.
Finally, yeah?
NOW FUCKING COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!
:D

xoxo,
Your Backroad Eyes