‹ Prequel: The Red Hot Tamales

Suga Babies

More Than A Feeling

Dade

The week was slow, and tedious. It droned on and on forever with my parents breathing down my neck about making up with Lily and my coach about winning the game and my teachers about passing my classes and just everything.

When practice finally started on Thursday, I was actually kinda glad.

"Man, are you okay?" Jess, the right fullback asked as we were running. Jess is my running partner, in and out of practice. He runs about the same pace as I do so it's perfect for our evening workout.

"I don't know. It just feels like something bad is coming."

"Bad? Like... a fire or something?"

"No. Like.... I don't know what but it just feels like something bad's gonna happen soon." I shrugged as we turned down the road to go across town. For practice, they have us run all around town before we actually get to practice. We all have different routes. So our team always gets back at different times.

"That's odd. I had that feeling before our house was broken into last year."

I pondered this as we ran the last of our route in silence. The good thing about Jess, besides the fact that he's my best friend, is that he doesn't talk a lot. He can understand when you need to just think.

"Sherman! Pierce!" I heard the coach call as we entered the practice field first. I looked up and saw my mom's car waiting.

"What's up, coach?" Jess said as we slowed to a walk.

"Cooper and Dehlia have given you permission to leave work early." he said.

I shrugged at Jess as we grabbed our stuff and headed towards my mom's car. We got in.

"Mom? What's going on?" I asked her.

"Your father and I talked to Nikki and Jose."

"And?"

I looked over my shoulder at Jess, who is my Dad's ex-girlfriend's son. Apparently, after Dehlia and Dad broke up, when Mom got pregnant with me, Dad and Dehlia started talking again because Dehlia was pregnant too. They were all just pregnant at the same time, Mom, Nikki and Dehlia. I would've just LOVED to be in that room. (Sarcasm) See, Mom and Dad were best friends all their lives and one day, Mom told Dad that she loved him after her psycho ex-boyfriend tried to kill her. Dad got freaked and ran off. Dad found Dehlia and kissed her. They went out and were all over each other, Mom's words.

"Well, you and Lily are going on a date tonight."

"WHAT? NO!" I protested loudly.

"Why not?"

"Because.... I don't like Lily like that. She's JUST my friend, Mom. I don't wanna date her."

My cell phone vibrated in my bag. I took it out and saw that it was a text message from Jess.

Tell her you're gay with me.

Oh, yeah! I forgot Jess is gay.

Dude, then I can NEVER have a girlfriend.

Oh. Crap. Good idea though, right?

fantastic

nice sarcasm

looks nice on me, doesn't it

"Dade Brennan Sherman! You can't ignore me!" Mom said, driving home.

"Sorry. What'd you say?"

"I said you could at least try."

"Mom, I'm not attracted to Lily, ok? Admit it. We're never going to get together and have those cute little Italian-Mexican babies you want us to have. It's not going to happen."

"Can't a mother dream, Dade?"

No. Tell her no.

Shut up, Jess.

kill joy

"Mom, I don't wanna do this."

"Too bad, you're going on this date with her."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!

jess i swear i will kick your ass

bring it, lil one. i'm not afraid

I put my phone away as we finally pulled into my driveway. Jess and I got out as Mom was turning the car off.

"Dude, I'm sorry about having to go out with Cat. That's gotta suck."

"Oh, she'll just threaten my life and ignore me the rest of the night. It'll be over and we'll tell our parents that there wasn't a spark and everything will go back to normal."

"What happens if you actually like her?" he asked.

"Are you serious? I hate her. How could I like someone I hate?" I asked in response.

"Just seemed like there was something there, that's all."

"You're crazy, Jess. There's nothing there but hate and loathing."

"Sure, whatever you say."

He didn't seem to believe me.

---------

Image

^^ Jess Maverick Pierce
♠ ♠ ♠
ummmmm, yeah.
sorry there's not more. this was tyanne's idea so i'll leave it to tyanne to finish.

-kayt