Starry Eyes

What Is This Kid, A Clown?

"Norah, honey, will you please go set the table?" Mom called from the kitchen. My head perked up at the sound of my name and I lazily got up from the couch.

"Mom, I thought it was Erika's turn tonight," I whined, entering the kitchen, which smelled of spaghetti and meatballs.

Mom clicked her tongue. "She's out tonight."

My brow arched as I took the stack of plates and began setting them neatly on the round table. "She's out? With who?"

"Apparently she's met another guy. I think he's from school," She said with a small shrug. Then she grabbed the huge pan and brought it over, setting it in the center of the table.

I bit my lip. "If he's the guy I met yesterday than he's definitely not from school."

Mom eyed me. "You met him?"

I nodded, sitting myself down in the chair. "His name's Strify."

"Huh. What an unusual name," She mused.

I suppressed my laughter. "Bizarre, even. You might say."

Mom gave me a weird look, than shook her head. "Yes, I suppose. Well, I'm sure Erika will introduce him to us sooner or later. You know how teenagers are, right?"

"I guess, considering I am one. A very troubled one."

This made her chuckle. "You're not troubled, Norah. Why do you insist on that? You're my perfect little angel."

I felt my cheeks burning hot, as my head lowered.

"What do you think the baby will be?" Mom then asked, as she looked down at her flat soon-to-be-huge stomach, running a hand across it gently.

I stuffed a meatball in my mouth. "Hopefully human."

She laughed, giving me a playful slap on the shoulder. Then she sat down on the chair across from me. "I still can't believe it. Your father's ecstatic. He's hoping for a boy, you know."

I smiled. "A boy would be nice." I don't think I can handle a miniature Erika.

"I think so too," She said, still staring down at her stomach.

"Hey, girls," Dad's voice suddenly filled the atmosphere. He emerged into the dining room and walked directly over to mom, planting a kiss on her forehead. "Hey, sweetie."

She beamed. "Hey. How was work?"

Dad sighed in exhaustion and pulled out a chair, sitting next to her. "Stressful, as always."

I continued to eat my food quietly, as my parents began a conversation I didn't pay much attention to. For some twisted reason, my mind was set on Strify.
Yeah, the kid with the weird name. My sister's boyfriend. Of all people.
What was I thinking? I couldn't think about my sister's boyfriend like that. I only met the guy once, for crying out loud. What was it about him that got me this.....curious?

"Hey, where's Erika?" My dad asked, which immediately caught my attention.

"Out," Said mom, eating her spaghetti.

Dad made a face. "Out where?"

"At her friend's house, I think," Mom answered. "What's his name again, dear?" She asked me.

I slumped a bit in my chair. "Strify."

Dad snorted in laughter. "Strify? What is this kid, a clown?"

Mom too laughed, but stopped. "Rob, honey. Don't make fun. It's Erika's friend."

Dad just shrugged. "Fine. But you can't blame me for thinking it's funny. I mean, come on. Strify?"

"What? A lot of people have strange names," She said with a shrug.

Dad shook his head in disapproval. "I wanna meet this kid. See if he's as weird as his name."

For some bizarre reason, the whole conversation about Strify was making me feel a bit uncomfortable. Suddenly, I wasn't so hungry anymore.

"Can I be excused?" I babbled, dragging my chair back.

My parents looked at me.

"What's wrong, honey?" Mom asked worridly.

"Nothing, nothing. I just feel a little sick. Maybe I ate too fast. I'm just gonna go lay down a bit in my room," I announced quickly, before striding out of the kitchen.

I could hear my parents talking apprehensively to each other but I didn't even bother to listen in. Finally I was in my room. I shut the door and went to dive onto my bed.
My stomach was doing flips. I didn't know why. Did I have to throw up or something? I hoped not. I hated puking.

I grabbed the nearest pillow, and placed it under my head. My eyes wandered the ceiling, and I sighed out.

Something was missing. What was the only thing that calmed me? Of course. My Ipod.
I turned my body and my hand reached over the nightstand, grabbing the squared piece of tecnology. I plugged the earphones into my ear, and smiled, once Bernard Sumner's voice consumed my thoughts.

"There's no sense in telling me the wisdom of a fool won't set you free," I sang quietly along, bobbing my head. Bless the eighties for making such good music.
__

I actually didn't know how long I had been listening to music in my room. I was so absorbed, that I'd seem to forget about everything else going on in the world.

I hadn't even noticed my mom hovering over me, eyes widened, trying to snap my attention.
I removed the headphones and sat up quickly. "Mom, how long have you been standing there?"

She laughed. "Not too long. I was calling you downstairs but you weren't responding so I decided to check up on you."

"I was listening to music. Sorry," I mumbled, setting the Ipod back on the nightstand.

Mom sat herself next to me. "How are you feeling?"

I looked at her weirdly. "Um, fine?"

"Are you sick?" She asked, placing a hand on my forehead, checking my temperature.

"Mom, I'm fine," I answered with a laugh. "What's up?"

"Well, it's not like you to leave half your food on the plate. I was just wondering."

"Oh. Well, I'm fine. Really. Just a bit tired."

She nodded. "Come downstairs. There's a good movie on."

"Which one?" I asked, preparing to turn the offer down. I'd much rather hang out in my room alone.

"Nightmare Before Christmas. You like that movie, don't you?" She said, a tempting smile forming on her lips.

I laughed. "Jack Skellington? Of course."

She grinned. "Then come on. I need to cheer you up somehow. It's a Saturday night, after all."

"And what better way to spend it with your mom," I joked, receiving another light slap from her.

"Okay, I'll go," I answered. My mom grinned wider and stuck her hand out, and I took it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me now, tell me how I need to know
Tell me now, tell me how I need to know
How it feels