You Belong With Me

Brian's Not Good Enough

"Bye Matt," I said as I shut the door of his car. I walked towards the school, watching for Sydney. When I got closer to the entrance, I saw Sydney and Johnny standing against the wall. Johnny said something to Sydney and she smiled and hugged him. I ran over to them.

"Sydney?" They quickly broke apart when they heard my voice. I motioned for her to come over to me. She said something to Johnny and ran over.

"Hey, you'll never guess what happened!" she yelled.

"What?"

"Johnny asked me to go to the movies! So I guess that we're technically dating but I'm not going to say it's official until well, until he asked me out ya' know?"

"Sydney, that's great!" I screamed, pulling her into a hug. "I told you he'd do it. It took him awhile but he asked you on a date."

"But does that make us official? I mean, I don't want to assume that we're together. And, friends go to the movies so maybe it's just a friendly thing."

"Syd, calm down. You two are going to the movies and you're going to have fun and he's going to ask you out again and then he'll ask you to be his girlfriend, then you'll be official. I know Johnny, he's taking his time," I told her.

"But I don't want him to take his time. I want him now!" My eyes widened. "Okay, I meant I just want to be his girlfriend already."

"It'll happen. But would you rather him jump into a relationship and there be a risk of not lasting very long because you have nothing in common and you really don't like each other?"

"No. But we've talked for a long time."

"But that's good. I want you two to be happy, not rushing and unhappy! Guys like Johnny are hard to find. You don't want a guy like-"

"Brian?"

"No." I was sick of her always bringing up Brian and I was soon going to snap but I was going to hold it in.

The morning bell rang and I walked off without saying good bye but just a wave. I sat in homeroom, listening to the worthless morning announcements, waiting for the next bell to ring. I was excited to see Tyler and I wanted to get to history.

When I thought about Tyler, I completely forgot about Brian. This was a good and bad thing. Good because I won't think about Brian, but at the same time that's the bad thing. I would no longer have the same feelings for Brian…or so I thought.

The bell rang so I bolted up from my chair and out to the crowded hallway. I turned into another hallway and saw Tyler standing there, leaning against the lockers with a smile on his face. God he has such an amazing smile!

"Hey Bailey," he said, pulling me into a hug.

"Hi Tyler. How are you?"

"Great, you?"

"Good. Were you waiting for me?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said, his smile growing bigger.

The teacher started handing out papers that we would have to fill out while watching a movie about the Roaring 20's.

"So how did you like spending time with my brother at the bar?"

"It was fun. I could see myself hanging out with them again. They kinda reminded me of my friends back home. We did that kind of thing all the time," he said.

"Well I think they all liked you."

"Matt did talk to me about you."

"Oh my god."

"It wasn't anything bad. He just told me how much he cares about you and then we pretty much talked like guys do."

"Oh, I was afraid he'd embarrass me."

"No. So he doesn't let you do any of that?" he said.

"Nope, nothing."

"That must suck. But that's kinda a good thing. It's not really a good thing to get into so young," he said, "If I had a little sister, I wouldn't want her drinking or smoking at this age either."

"But I'd still like to try it."

"What, alcohol?"

"Alcohol, cigarettes, weed."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I've seen Matt doing all of them and I guess it's because I look up to him that I want to try the things he does."

"Wow. I didn't think you would want to try that stuff."

"Really?"

"Yeah. You seem like you're a 'good girl' that doesn't do anything that could get you in trouble."

"Well I didn't picture you drinking with a fake ID."

"It's just fun," he said.

The bell rang, sending all the kids to next period. Tyler decided that he was going to walk me to class. The walk was kind of awkward because he didn't say a word and his hands stayed hidden in his pockets.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"What? Yeah, I'm fine."

"Okay, well I have to go this way," I said.

"Yeah. Well oh, um Bailey, would you like to go out sometime? Just you and me."

"Yeah, that would be really nice."

"Awesome. How about tomorrow? I'll pick you up at seven?"

"That sounds good. I'll see you then," I said.

"Yeah. Bye, Bailey," he said. His head shifted closer to mine. In just a few seconds his lips rubbed against mine.

"Come on, get to class," Mrs. Andrews said, waving all the kids into their classrooms. Tyler pulled away from our interrupted kiss. He said bye to me one last time and ran to his class.

"So yeah, he's taking me out tomorrow," I said, telling Matt all about it.

"Well I'm happy for you, Bails," he said, hugging me.

"Did you, by any chance, know about any of this?"

"What? Now why would you say that I knew that?"

"You knew he was going to ask me out and you didn't tell me? It was that night you guys took him to Johnny's wasn't it?"

"It was. But it wouldn't have been a surprise if I told you would it?"

"I guess not. But I guess that means you approve of us dating," I said.

"He's a nice guy. I trust him enough that I know he won't hurt you," Matt said. Finally a guy that he likes. "He's a lot batter than…Brian for instance."

He knows!

"How do you-what do you mean?" I stopped myself from giving away my secret by going along with him.

"Well, even though he's my best friend, I've seen how he treats girls and it's not always the best," he said. "I wouldn't want you to go through that."

"You always say bad things about Brian, how is he different from Zacky or another guy?" I asked. I was trying to figure out what Matt saw differently about Brian.

"He cheats."

"Not always, though, right?" I questioned, following him up stairs.

"No but still, I wouldn't want a guy to cheat on you. Brian's not the only one, but still. I'd like to approve of every guy you date."
♠ ♠ ♠
I promise to get another update up before Christmas. And maybe, if I get a good response, I'll give you guys another update. As a Christmas present.