Did You Get What You Deserve?

Chapter 20

I picked a few notes on my guitar. Beside me, Alec was grinning.

“I remember the day I got that guitar. I had told your dad so many times he didn’t have to get me anything, and then he went and bought that.”

I laughed and played a chord. Then I slowly played a succession of notes and chords I had come up with. Alec looked at me quizzically.

“What’s that song?”

I shrugged.

“Dunno. I just made it up.”

“Does it have any words?”

Again I shrugged.

“I guess.”

“What are they?”

I blushed and shrugged.

“They’re stupid.”

He laughed.

“Believe me, when I wrote a song, I thought you couldn’t get any stupider than my lyrics. That stupid song has now been heard by millions of people worldwide.”

“What was the song?”

He laughed again.

“It was called Welcome to the Black Parade.”

I giggled.

“That’s not stupid!”

“No. You’re right, it’s not. But I thought it was. I guarantee you, yours can’t be any stupider.”

I sighed.

“Fine.”

I started again, playing a few bars before singing, softly and hesitantly.

“You don’t see me.
You don’t even care.
But there’s nothing I would like more
Than to be noticed by you.”


The words caught in my throat and I coughed. Alec patted me on the back, smiling.

“Believe it or not, that was brilliant. You ever thought of forming a band or anything?”

I shrugged.

“Dunno. Sometimes.”

“Well, why don’t you?”

“Because I have no-one to form it with.”

He laughed.

“Are you kidding? You have so many people around you who would be perfect!”

“Like who?”

“Well, to start with the blindingly obvious, James. I would be extremely surprised if he possessed not one ounce of musical talent.”

“Okay, James. Who else?”

“Well, you mentioned your friend Lindsay earlier. She sounds rather musical.”

“That’s only three people.”

“Three people worked for Green Day.”

“They’re bloody geniuses! I know I couldn’t sing and play guitar at all. Not to save my life.”

He thought.

“Well, there’s Danielle. She’s a little young, but...”

“She’s also going to be a little blind.”

“What?”

“Dani’s going blind.”

“Really?”

I nodded.

He thought a moment.

“There must be some kids in your class at school who are musical.”

I shrugged.

Just then Dani walked in.

“Hey guys. What are you talking about?”

“Forming a band.”

“Oh cool! Can I join?”

I shrugged.

“If there’s anything you can play.”

She took the guitar out of my hands and sat down with it on her lap. It was so huge she could barely reach the top fret.

“What do I do?”

Alec laughed.

“Finger one – that’s your index – on fret two of string two.”

She wiggled her finger for a moment, then placed it on the second fret of her B string. Alec shook his head.

“When you’re playing the guitar, you count strings from the lowest. The one on the top of your guitar, that’s E, is string one. That’s your bottom string.”

“But you just said that was the top string!”

He laughed.

“Put you off playing, have I?”

“I think I’ll stick to bass. Dad says it’s easier.”

Alec laughed again.

“Don’t count on it. No instrument is easy straight off.”

She wrinkled her nose and walked out. I looked at Alec, and a sudden thought struck me.

“Alec... you haven’t seen Life on the Murder Scene, have you?”

He looked at me.

“What’s that?”

I grinned evilly.

“Oh, we’re going to have so much fun.”

**Author's Note: Hah, more Alec-ness evil. Expect KTHUNKing in the next chapter.

(By the way, that's KTHUNKing of heads due to public displays of stupidity.)

People I love:

Days_News - what would I do without you? You're brilliant.
Critical_Lemon - ... you too. You're brilliant...

Lol.

There might be another chapter up tonight.**