Did You Get What You Deserve?

Chapter 25

I got up and followed James out of Maths. Ira in front of me had been tearing paper all lesson, and it had really been pissing me off. We met Lindsay as she came out of her Maths class, and as we reached our lockers I decided it couldn’t hurt to try.

“Hey Lin?”

“Mhm?”

“Do you- What do you think of starting a band?”

She looked at me.

“Serious?”

I nodded. She put her head on one side, considering it.

“Who else would it be?”

“Well... you, me and James currently, but-”

“Ooh!”

I looked at James.

“What?”

“There’s this dude in my art class, Matt. He plays bass. Seriously, he’s brilliant.”

“Matt? I think he’s in my French class.”

James nodded.

“That sounds about right. Anyway, he’d be perfect.”

He leaned back, looking up and down the hall.

“In fact, here he comes now. OI, MATT!”

A small, skinny boy with messy dark hair and the brightest blue-grey eyes I have ever seen came trotting over.

“Hey James. Alec. Lindsay.”

“Matt, you wanna join our band?”

He considered it for a moment.

“Sure, James. I’d love it. Ooh, this is so much fun!”

He hugged James before turning and bouncing away.

“Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a lunch date!”

James rolled his eyes.

“She’s never going to like you if you stalk her!”

Matt waved, and in an instant was lost in the crowd of students. James sighed.

“There’s this girl... I think she’s in your French class too. Sasha. He really likes her, he keeps watching her and I’m pretty sure she barely knows of his existence.”

I laughed.

“Sweet.”

He rolled his eyes again.

“She’s never going to like him if he keeps doing it. It’ll just piss her off.”

“I dunno... girls like to be chased, it makes us feel special.”

James slipped his hand into mine and led me to the benches on the far side of the field. Hardly anyone ever went there, though I don’t know why. From there we could see everything. From there we could see Laura and her friends showing off for the jocks, the jocks showing off for Laura, the girl sitting alone under the tree...

And the boy falling out of the tree almost on top of her. James laughed.

“He finally makes his move! Let’s see what she makes of it.”

We watched Sasha and Matt having an intense conversation. There was a lot of high-pitched laughter from Sasha, the kind where you’re hoping if you laugh enough, maybe the joke won’t be on you. Matt remained earnest, gesticulating a lot, until finally Sasha rolled her eyes and nodded, at which point Matt hugged her. James laughed.

“I think we have success!”

The bell rang, and we stood up. I saw Laura and her friends walk past, and heard Laura’s loud comment.

“Sasha and Ma-att, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!”

I hugged James.

“Poor girl. She really deserves some friends.”

**Author's Note:

I just put this up because I've put up that other story that ties in. I don't want the other one to be TOO much of a spoiler, so I figured I'd better put up a chapter in this story that includes those events.**