Did You Get What You Deserve?

Chapter 35

I glanced at James, who was sitting next to me. His face was as shocked as mine. I looked back at the teacher, who was looking at his watch.

“What time do you guys need to go off to Assembly?”

“Nine.”

“Oh good. Well, since we’ve got some time, I think we should probably get to know each other. I’m sure I’m not the only new one here.”

He perched on the edge of his desk.

“My name is Alec Marshall. Let’s see... a bit about me. I love English Literature, which is the subject I teach. I’m a musician, I have a passion for Shakespeare, my little sister is a ballerina and I’m an orphan. I spent thirteen years in Michigan and got my teaching degree there. Okay, who’s next? You, in the front row. What’s your name?”

I could feel the whole room warming to Alec, and felt a sense of pride mixed with the shock I was still feeling at his sudden appearance. I had no idea he got a teaching degree in Michigan. Beside me, James got to his feet.

“My name is James Way. Um, I’m thirteen years old, my favourite three subjects are Maths, Art and Music, my Dad is a musician, I have a little sister who is blind, the only sport I’m really any good at is baseball... I think that’s it.”

I stood up as James sat down.

“My name is Alec Iero. I’m also thirteen years old, I’m useless at Art but I love English, Music and Drama. I’m the oldest of three sisters, my Dad is also a musician, I can’t play Netball to save my life but I love Volleyball.”

As I sat down, Alec winked at me. I tuned out all the rest of the introductions until it was Alana’s turn.

“Hi, I’m Alana Morgan, I recently moved to New Jersey from Ohio, but I used to live in Michigan. I’m fourteen, I have a little sister and a little brother, I love Art, Cooking, Music and Sewing, but my favourite subject is English. I absolutely adore Shakespeare.”

She sat down again, and I felt a prickling of anger. It felt like she was trying to suck up to Alec and be his favourite.

“Okay, that’s everyone. And... it’s Assembly in two minutes, so if you could all line up at the door that’d be great.”

Everyone stood up and moved to the door. I, however, hurried up to Alec.

“Alec! You never told us-”

He held up a hand.

“No time now. Go line up, I’ll talk to you later.”

I nodded and went to stand in line behind James, who looked at me with something halfway between amusement and disbelief.

“This year should be interesting.”

I nodded as we filed out of the classroom.

It was only when I looked at my timetable after morning tea that I realised we had English in our form room. James and I ran all the way from Art and managed to be the first there. Alec looked up as we entered. He grinned when he saw it was us.

“Good on you. Nobody bothers to be on time any more, do they?”

I went over and hugged him before sitting on the desk beside him.

“You never told us you were a teacher!”

“I never was until now. I’ve had my degree for years, but for some reason I could never get a teaching job so I did mechanics instead, got a job in a garage.”

I nodded, then jumped up as I heard footsteps outside the door. However, the first person to walk in was Alana. She strode over to Alec’s desk and sat down next to him, right where I had been seconds before.

“Mr Marshall, I think your class is going to be my favourite.”

I almost snarled. Well, if she was going to play friendly, I was going to play familiar.

“Alec, I’ll talk to you later.”

As I sat down I heard her say, “Did she just call you Alec?”
♠ ♠ ♠
**Woo, second chapter in one night.

Ha ha, this idea didn't actually occur to me until I had written "... All thoughts of Alana were driven from my mind," in the last chapter. I had intended to make it Mrs Arbelle or just some random teacher, and just have the rest of the chapter about how busy the first day back was. And then I was like "It's Alec." And it seemed so logical.

Anyways. I digress.

Thanks to Critical_Lemon for commenting.**