Did You Get What You Deserve?

Chapter 49

It was after midnight when I heard the gentle click of Alec’s bedroom door. Getting quietly out of bed, I tiptoed out into the hallway, being careful not to wake Cari. Pausing outside Alec’s door, I hesitated for a second before raising my hand and tapping lightly. A moment later the door opened.

“Alec,” he whispered, “you should be asleep.”

I stood there waiting and he sighed, pulling the door open so I could move past him. I sat down on the edge of his bed and he pushed me under the covers before sliding in beside me.

“The least you can do is keep warm.”

I nodded.

“What happened with Carlton?”

He sighed slightly, but I couldn’t tell if it was a sigh of sadness or relief.

“Have you ever heard of SIDS?”

I shook my head.

“It stands for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Melanie walked in to check on Carlton this afternoon, and she found him blue in the face, not breathing. She tried resuscitating him, but nothing happened. So she called an ambulance...”

He drifted off. I prodded his shoulder gently.

“What happened? Did he make it?”

He nodded vaguely.

“He’s still in the hospital. There’s a machine breathing for him. If Mel had been even one minute later he would have died.”

I sat in silence, waiting for him to say something. After a minute he kissed my head and stood up.

“Time for you to go back to bed, little one. Morning makes everything better. That’s why they call it the clear light of day.”

As I padded back into my room, Cari rolled over, mumbling something about teacups and yo-yos. I climbed into bed, pulling the covers up to my chin, and lay there watching her toss and turn, her mouth open and drooling. And finally, long after she had fallen still, sleep came.
♠ ♠ ♠
**Gah this one is super-duper-uber short. I just can't write much at the moment. There is a reason:

Yesterday, six students and their teacher died after they were washed away due to flash flooding while canyoning up the Mangatepopo river at the Sir Edmund Hillary Outdoor Pursuits Centre of New Zealand. I didn't know any of the students, they were from a completely different city to me, but it really hit home for me because my school was at OPC just last week. Some of my best friends went gorging on Friday, and four days later this happens. It could have been any of us. And seeing the photos of the students, their school ID photos... these were just six ordinary kids. They had hopes and dreams, ambitions, they were the leaders of tomorrow. When asked what would happen if it rained while they were there, one of the girls said "we're going to go jumping in puddles together."

She'll never jump in any more puddles ever again.

So you understand why I'm not writing much right now. I just posted this so you weren't left with a huge cliffhanger.

Thanks to Critical_Lemon, loveACTUALLY and music is life. (Yeah Cari you better feel guilty!)**