Did You Get What You Deserve?

Chapter 78

~*Alecsandra’s Point of View*~

Quite honestly, I was miserable without James. I no longer had that special buddy in class. The seat beside me was always empty. Many times, I found myself muttering that I was confused and gritting my teeth, waiting for the sharp tap of his pencil on my head to tell me to stop being stupid and think.

By the time school broke up for Christmas, I was a mess. I had purple bruises under my eyes from staying up so many nights talking to James on MSN. I was about twenty pounds thinner. I felt like crap.

In the last lesson of the last day, which happened to be English, I found myself staring out the window, contemplating a quote I’d seen on the internet. Never make somebody your everything, because when they’re gone you’ve got nothing. Well, that’s where I went wrong. I had built my life around James, made him my whole world.

The bell rang. The whole class cheered, and Alec laughed.

“Alright, guys! Have a Happy Christmas, and I’ll see you next year!”

As they all left the classroom, Alec made his way over to me and perched on the edge of my desk.

“How you holding up, kiddo?”

I let my head fall onto the desk with a resounding clunk.

“I can’t move. I’m too tired.”

“So you’re going to stay here all Christmas?”

I wanted to nod, but after a moment I realised it was too much effort, so I just mumbled a “yes.”

He sighed.

“This is not smart, kid,” he said. “You have to start living your life again. If this is what you’re like after two weeks, how will you be after three years?”

I was silent. I felt so thoroughly miserable. Miserable, tired, hungry and homesick for James. The tears came welling up, and I didn’t even bother trying to stop them.

“Oh, sweetie,” said Alec, pulling me up and on to his lap, “come on. It’s alright, I can make it all better, I promise. You come home with me, and you have dinner with us tonight. Okay? Have some Carlton therapy. It works wonders.”

I smiled in spite of myself. Alec gave me a hug, then helped me to my feet.

“Now come on, let’s get your stuff. I can’t wait to escape this place.”

We shared a grin.

“DADDY!”

“Carlton!”

Alec scooped up the two-year-old cannonball as it came hurtling towards his knees.

“How’s my boy?”

Carlton responded with a toothy grin. Melanie came in through the back door.

“Oh I thought I heard you. Hi darling, how was work?”

“It was great,” replied Alec, giving her a quick kiss, “the last day of term is always my favourite. Now I’m free of that place!”

She laughed, turning to me.

“And hey to you too, Alec, how’s things?”

I shrugged.

“Alright.”

She smiled understandingly.

“Oh, by the way,” she added, turning back to Alec, “the kids have decided if you don’t get us a tree tomorrow they’re going to crucify you.”

“Oh, joy,” said Alec. “Hey, little one, find us a tree, will you?”

“Nah, fuck off. That’s your job.”

“You want your big brother to be murdered by a pre-pubescent mob?”

“Yeah, I don’t mind.”

“Brat.”

I grinned at him and walked out the back door.

“Alec! Alec!”

I shaded my eyes and looked up into the tree in the corner of the garden. Lachlan and Georgina were perched among the branches, waving at me.

“Oh, hey,” I said, climbing up to join them. “What’s up, guys?”

“Not much,” said Lachlan, peering down at the cat that was sharpening her claws on the trunk of the tree. “We’re getting a Christmas tree tomorrow,” he added, “or we’re going to-”

“Crucify Alec,” I finished. “I heard.”

Georgina giggled.

“Hey kids!” yelled Alec from the door, “who wants to go get a Christmas tree?”

Lachlan and Georgina jumped down from the tree, cheering. I grinned and followed them. As I passed Alec in the doorway, he winked.

“Anything not to be crucified.”
♠ ♠ ♠
**Third chapter in one day! I'm on fire.

Thanks to Bellkura, the only one quick enough to comment XD

I might put up another tonight. Or I might not. We shall wait and see.**