P.S. I Hate You

Boring Day

I think during the night I end up falling off the chair or something, because when I wake up, I’m on the floor. I can’t decide if that’s good or not. But I do have a few cricks in my neck and it hurts like heck. I rub them out, sitting up and groggily looking for the time.

4:58 am.

“You have to be kidding,” I groan and shiver. I wrap the blanket around me tighter and just topple over, needing more sleep. But it doesn’t work that well and I keep waking up. So right before six, I get up and go home. Well, the electricity’s working again…

Homework. Oh crud.

I try to work on that a little and then take a quick shower. I realize I have a ton of dirty clothes and have to start a huge load and then finally I find some jeans- but they’re short, so I cut the ends to make them long shorts.

Then I realize it’s Saturday. I groan, slapping myself on the head. Duh. Looking for a shirt, I glimpse myself in the mirror and turn, trying to see my bruise.

Wow, is that ugly. I make a face. It’s bigger than my hand with my fingers spread out. Guess I won’t be wearing any revealing tops for a while, then. I sigh and finally find a basic t-shirt to wear. After shoving my hair in some random braids, I’m done and return over to the Williams, finding that Benji’s not home yet.

“Hey,” I say hesitantly as Devin opens the door.

“Come on in,” he grins and runs off. I follow after closing the door and find him with Benji eating pancakes.

“There you are!” Beams Mrs. Williams. “We were wondering where you went. Care for some pancakes?” She asks, waving them around. “I can put anything you want on them, really. Fruit, chocolate, your choice.”

“Uh… some plain ones would be nice,” I mumble. “Um, and thanks… you know, for everything.”

“My pleasure! It’s so nice how Devin’s already made a friend here and everything, I’m so glad we moved across town,” she grins and continues to chat cheerfully where my voice isn’t required.

The pancakes are amazing. I LOVE them. She just laughs it off. “Come on over, and I’ll teach you, it’s my special thing,” she grins. We’re quiet for a few minutes. “You don’t cook?” She finally asks.

I think about it. “Not that well. Only some spaghetti- mother makes a lot of odd dishes, since she loves the cooking channel, but she sometimes has to go out or something, and then we’re eating left overs or something,” I shrug. “But then it’s not like I can take her food with me when I leave,” I grin to brighten the mood.

She laughs and everything stays on a lighter note and finally I decide it’s time to go back home. “And you’ll be back later? For the barbecue?” She offers. “I’ve invited most of the block, and I know Devin’s expecting Benji.”

Barbecue… I finally recall the note. “Oh, right. Uh… I think so. I’ll just have to check with my parents, but it should be good,” I nod and then we’re back at our place.

Benji watches some cartoons as I work in the kitchen, doing the weekly cleaning, finishing what needs to be done. Like sweeping and all that. And tons of laundry. I make Benji clean up a few rooms but we’re a little easy off, with mother’s need to sweep and vacuum all the time.

Washing the plates, I break one and picking up the pieces in handfuls, I finally recall that they’re usually sharp. “You’ve got to be kidding me!” I burst suddenly, making Benji jump from making a sandwich.

Okay, so I’d felt the stinging, but I hadn’t thought it was really anything until I see small droplets of blood all over. I groan as I shuffle around, getting the last bits with a broom and then I wipe the floor and my hands off, grumbling to myself. I have to put on a few band-aids and even end up wrapping up my entire left pointer finger since it’s cut up all over and won’t stop bleeding. Ugh. Now I can’t bend it…

“Are you okay?” Benji voices.

I turn, recalling he was there the whole time. “Oh. Yeah, yeah. I’m fine…” I sigh. “It’s all good…” The phone rings and it’s for me. It’s from the bookstore… well, I guess Mr. Williams talked to them. They want to interview me right away.

“Uh, sure, I guess… can you give me thirty minutes?” I ask hopefully. They don’t mind. “Okay, Benji, we have to go to that big bookstore. Remember it? Kay, we’ve got to head over. Grab a few snacks and let’s go!”

Image