P.S. I Hate You

Apples And Mothers

The hour proceeds with more games, such as sack racing or whatever you want to call it- which Caleb made me play. And lost, of course- I fell four jumps in and received several laughs. “Ha ha,” I whine in return. “Now you kids, help me up,” and they’re all pulling at me everywhere, making everyone crack up and I laugh along with them, fumbling to get up and not hurt anyone.

“Oh, come on- you two need to go together, I’ll be in charge of the next,” Mrs. Williams finally comes over.

“What? Why?”

“What is it?” I ask cautiously.

“Bobbing for apples!” She claps her hands brightly as her husband brings several tubs over with the help of some others. “You two and Jessie can share a bucket.”

They hand out towels everywhere just in case. I glance in ours and we have nine. “Uh…” I start hesitantly. I hate getting wet like this…

Caleb snorts. “What, you’ve never done it?” He asks mockingly.

“No!” My face heats up as he gives me a look. “You know what? Shut up and stay out of my face. I was just going to say that we obviously have to take turns, one-at-a-time so we don’t hit each other in the head,” I retort.

He gives a disbelieving chuckle and I choose to ignore him. “Would you like to go first?” I offer Jessie.

She peaks in and shakes her head meekly, eyeing Caleb. Again. It’s almost adorable! She partners up with him as much as possible all of a sudden. It’s this huge crush she’s just developed. If it wasn’t Caleb, it would be cute. Since it is… it’s hilarious.

They make me go first, no matter what I try to argue. I look in, brace myself, and dunk my head in. By shoving them against the wall, I can grab them and toss them out. The second slips but I get it back quickly.

It takes her a while as we keep egging her on. Finally, her entire face submersed, she grabs one. We cheer and she drops it down. “I can’t do anymore,” she pouts. “It’s too hard.”

“Aww, it’s okay,” I nod. “Caleb will do the rest for you.”

He shoots me an ugly look and I just plaster this fakely sweet smile on my face. “Kiley!” And that wipes it off and I ignore Caleb’s confused face as I turn around and stumble up, moving away in hopes that the two others won’t hear.

“Hello, mother,” I say tightly. “Did you finally just get here?”

“Oh you know, the hair dryer…” she shakes her head disappointed as I stand. My fists involuntarily clench in fists. Of course she has an excuse. Of course she thinks she’s allowed to waltz right in and ruin everything. “Are you having a good time babysitting the babies?” She asks sweetly.

I scowl. “They are children, not babies, and I’m helping with the games- they don’t need to be babysat. Why don’t you go talk to Mrs. Williams- she likes to cook, too,” I offer.
“Really? How nice…” and she’s gone.

I let out a deep breath. “Finally,” I mutter and turn back, ignoring Caleb’s face. “Well?” I demand. “Are you done or just gawking at me?”

He snaps back, rolling his eyes. “Your ugliness was a little distracting, what can I say?”

“Don’t say anything, and just grab the apples!” I snap. “Flipping ducks, you’re slow.”

“Slower,” he mutters and ducks his head in. Grabs one, flips it out- the tip of his hair is wet and as he flings the apple towards me and Jessie, we get sprinkled with tons of droplets, making us squeal in surprise. He then sets a record speed of getting the rest out.

He pants, sitting back as he finishes, water dripping down his white t-shirt and a few on his rumpled jeans. The droplets keep sparkling in the sunlight and keeps drawing my eyes back to him.

How annoying. What’s worse, he catches me a few times and smirks. UGH! How I hate his guts… I wander off quickly to help out with prizes, drying kids off, and purposely staying as far away as possible from the jerk.
♠ ♠ ♠
three chapters. comment, please?