P.S. I Hate You

Sparkle My Foot

I finally get to eat, since I’ve been busy with the kids the entire time and find the food table. Mm, hot dogs. I grab one and pour on some mustard, and then shove some classic lays on top of that cause it gives a crunch and more deliciousness. Besides that, I’m not a big chip person… but I do grab some curly fries.

“Oooo,” I say, finding the dessert platter.

“Anyone seen the pigpen? Cause the pig escaped,” comes a cocky voice.

My eyes lift up to match Caleb who’s grabbing some vegetables along with two cheeseburgers. “At least we’ve just found the cow,” I say dryly and turn away from the food to find a spot to sit. I think I just lost my appetite, which bugs me.

“Kiley!” Mother screeches. “Come sit with me! I haven’t seen you forever!” I inwardly groan but since some people are watching me, I have to go over. “What are you eating?” Mother asks, visibly appalled. “Look at all that-” she shudders. “It might be contaminated.”
I look down at my hot dog, sigh, and push it away.

Great. Just great.

It’s dark enough and everyone heads out to the front street to play with some small fireworks for everyone. I stay behind because by then, my stomach is growling and I need chocolate to lift my spirits. I eat a new hot dog just like I’d planned, and find a few small brownies that I shove in my mouth before following everyone else.

I receive a sparkler gladly and join the kids in writing in the air and twirling with it. It brings back memories of fun times, like when I first held one and played with it- and when Benji finally got to try one two years ago- the grass got a little burnt, but no one was hurt. I glance at him, grinning- we both remember and giggle a little at the memory.

“Ow!” I yelp, feeling one fall on my barefoot.

“Oh, whoops,” comes a voice in a deadpanned tone.

I whirl, my sparkler hitting him right above the elbow. He gives his own screech, jumping back. “Watch where you put that!” He yells, clutching his arm.

“Oh, whoops,” I mimic him and try to ignore the burning on my foot. “It was your fault and you know it,” I hiss.

“No, it was an accident.” He snaps. “Ever heard of one?”

“Not when I’m around you,” I reply. “Then there’s no such thing.”

“Oh dear! Are you two okay?” Mrs. Williams comes over hurriedly, having heard our yelps. “Oh, you poor children! Come inside with me, and let me fix you up. Come, come.” She takes each of our hands and glaring hard at each other, we follow after her.

“You poor child!” She coos over me first. “Here, put your foot up, and let me get that.” She tends to us both, scolding and talking us like we’re both her children. Which I don’t actually mind and sort of appreciate. Both of our skin is already blistering, but since the sparkler had fallen and stayed until I kicked it off, my foot was cracked and even bleeding a little and the redness and spread all over.

“Do you have some cream to help the burn at home?” She asks me as she finishes with Caleb’s arm.

“Uh…” Do we even have a safety kit? Wait, yes. But burn cream? “I… think…”

“No matter,” she waves it away. “We have an extra container. You tend to that twice a day and it’ll help a lot,” she smiles kindly.

I take the jar. “Oh, um, thanks, then.”

“You’re most welcome! Now, I’m afraid everyone will leave soon and I’d better get to saying goodbye.” And she’s gone.

Awkward.

I glance at Caleb and away because he did the same.

My fingers dance by my side for a minute, and then I turn and leave- not before almost running into a door, but let’s ignore that bit and let me keep my dignity, please. I exit and find my mother hugging Mrs. Williams and heading off.

Right. I mean, why would they ever wait for me? I’m just their daughter. I roll my eyes and limping, I follow after, and waving goodbye to the little kids that I know will start stalking me since they know me now.

“Really, Kiley, you shouldn’t bother them, asking them for so much,” Mother starts on me the moment we get inside.

“Excuse me?” I ask in surprise.

She gives me a look. “You know what I’m talking about! You and Benji are suddenly over there all the time, and that’s not very nice, okay? She can’t spend all her time caring for you, when she has her own children.”

Benji looks at me confused and I shake my head that no, she’s wrong and lying- again.He bows his head down and goes off to his room. “Yeah,” I reply to mother. “Cause you’re always caring for us,” and sarcasm drips off with every word. “Night.” And I’m in my room before anything more can be said.

I love getting the last word.

I leave my injured right foot peaking out from the covers, cause everything that touches it hurts a little. Then I burrow under as much as I can, and close my eyes. At one point, Benji comes in after a nightmare and he gets on the other side. But I still remain happily in my covers as long as I can.
♠ ♠ ♠
ta da