P.S. I Hate You

Hurry To Work

My eyes peer in the sunlight. It shouldn’t get bright for another hour, so I can sleep more; I think and glance at the time. Eleven… I poke through the covers. Yup, Benji’s still here. He makes a little noise when I poke him, meaning he’s still asleep. If he were up, he would’ve poked me back.

I sigh and sit up, removing the covers carefully so Benji can still stay under and asleep. Loving the showers, I rinse off fast and hurry out. Okay, something respectable for work… I try to recall if she’d said anything about certain colors, but nothing comes to mind. What to wear, then? I finally decide on some light skinny jeans, green tank with a white dress shirt unbuttoned. I pull back the top back of my hair into a matching green clip and wear a green belt that shows a little.

Eh. It’ll have to do. “Where’re you going?” Benji asks sleepily, sitting up.

Must’ve been nosy. I glance down, seeing if the bruises have started to show, since I kept bumping into everything. “Back to the bookstore, remember?” I remind him. “I’ve got training to start for a few hours. Will you be okay?”

He looks at me for a minute. I can read it on his face- how I’m leaving him. I sigh, starting over. He hesitates. “Devin?” The hurt runs from his face but I know he’s hiding it. I feel bad, for leaving him again.

“Yeah, anytime,” I tell him kindly. “But everyone should be okay today, yeah? It’s Sunday. They’ll be going to mass and they’ll leave you here. Just watch some TV and lock the doors,” I tell him helpfully. “Will you be okay?”

He sighs a nod, unhappy but willing to live with the situation. “Thanks, buddy,” I smile, ruffling his hair. “Now go get some food. I should be back in a few hours, I’m thinking…” I give a blow-kiss and leave the house, almost confident that he’ll be fine.

I ignore Caleb who’s out pulling weeds in the front lawn. “Hey!” Ignore, ignore, ignore… “Wait!” He demands, catching up.

I roll my eyes, turning to face him. “What?”

“Mowing lawn,” he says simply.

I look at him blankly then it dawns on me. Right, the deal… “And?” I raise my eyebrow. “What about it? I’m in a hurry.”

“It needs to be done,” he jerks his head towards it. Eh, so it does need it a little… “Today,” he adds. “Around five would be good.” He smirks. I glare, grunt, turn and walk away. This time he doesn’t walk after me, thank goodness.

I catch up on my thoughts randomly as I find my way to my training. I talk to the lady again- Alice Walker, and she thinks, if I can stay a little longer, then the training won’t take too long at all. Which is good, meaning I can earn even more, when I’m really working. I work with some math and memorization and stay some hours, to get it worked out and everything.
I also get to meet some of the employees. Not all work on Sundays, of course, so it’s only about a fifth or less- I didn’t ask, so I don’t really know. But it’s all really great and fun. I’m almost sad to go home, I think. But then, I do need to get back to Benji. On the way home I pass through a candy shop to get some of his favorite- gummy sharks for him and chocolate malt balls for me.