P.S. I Hate You

Mow Stupid Lawn

I get home and Gerald is making my mother some fancy French dish that looks absolutely disgusting. “Benji home?” I ask hopefully.

They look at me blankly. “Why would he be home?” Mother asks faintly. Then I notice the champagne. Of course she’s going to be tipsy.

“Right,” I say deadpanned and head upstairs. I work on some random stuff and leave the candy on Benji’s bed. I listen to some music and finish up a few projects I’ve been very slowly working on- I’ve always loved making jewelry and I’m practically obsessive in buying kits and making them. Of course, I never wear them- I sell them or give them to all my friends.

Clink. Clink. Clink. I glance at my window, annoyed. Who the heck is that? I go to the window to see an angry Caleb. What did Ido this tiii…. Oh. He folds his arms. I sigh. “Fine,” I call down. “Coming.”

He shows me the lawn mower but since I’m so talented, I don’t even need lessons. Then I start on the left, wondering why I just didn’t just ignore him. I mean, there’s no proof of our agreement, right? So… I could ditch.

And yet I don’t.
I think I hate me.

I hum to myself as I finally finish up. Yep, pretty darn good job. Then I just walk home, leaving the machine lying there. I go and lie about in the tub, washing off the little bit of sweat I got- however soon it starts to hurt my still injured hands and the bruise starts annoying me which ruins everything so I have to get out.

Talk about depressing. That, and my scab on my foot itches.

I hate him.

No, honestly and really, I do. What’s not to hate, really? He’s selfish, cocky, egotistical, greedy, rude, and just plain old evil. It annoys me even more how not many others seem to see it, though.

Benji comes home just as mother and Gerald finish waltzing in the family room and comes straight to me. “Hey!” He says brightly. I glance from my desk, concentrating on tying some hemp jewelry.

“Hey, little man. Have fun over there?” True, I didn’t actually check if he was with Devin, but where else would he be, honestly?

“Yeah,” he nods happily and proceeds to watch me for a few minutes in silence.
Which he never does unless he wants something. Then, he could wait patiently right next to you forever. Sort of ticks me off, but its not like I could yell at him or anything. I finally sigh, putting my hands down. “What is it?”

“What?” He asks innocently but I see him perking up.

“You want something,” I tell him gently. “Now say it before you spontaneously combust, kid.” But somehow, by that light in his eyes, I’m not going to like it so much.

“There’s this really awesome video game-” my face falls at that as he continues on. All along before, I’ve been able to usually grant his wishes, since they’re always pretty reasonable. But the one he’s talking about is so popular and making big bucks… and way too expensive.

“That’s really awesome,” I struggle to reply with a smile. “But… we’ll have to see,” I say carefully. My heart drops because I see his spirits are already falling. “But we’ll try,” I add quickly. He smiles, his heart obviously burning with hope. Mine burning with despair but I keep the smile on as I continue to work on the jewelry and he talks on and on how he and Devin played.

Finally, bed time. Thank goodness. I push him off to get ready and make sure he takes a bath, first. I lean back in my chair after a while. What to do? I try to figure out costs. It won’t take too long to make the money, I suppose. But the fact I’m saving it equally for me and Benji? There’s not really any left for spending. After a while I try to work out something that will work- it takes several tries, but I still don’t know how I can manage it or anything.
I groan and slump in the chair, trying to figure something out.

-

Light. Oh ugh, that means morning. I peak out from my arm- I fell asleep at the desk again. How I hate when that happens. I groan and stretch. Then, I climb into bed for some more sleep.

--

I wake up to a pounding door. I glance an eye open. “Go away!” I mumble, hiding under my covers.

Someoneobviously doesn’t listen and stomps in then stands over me. I groan and peak an eye open. Gerald….holy crud, is he drunk now?!My eyes shoot open.

“Would you like to tell me something?” He says politely, his arms crossed. Meaning he’s trying sound polite and all but he’s really mad…. Not cool.

“Like…?” I fall back in bed, rubbing my forehead. Thank duckies he’s not drunk. I glance at the time. I still have another thirty minutes to sleep!

“Like the lawn,” he says tartly, narrowing his eyes at me. “I would like an explanation, if you’d be so kind as to get up.”

I groan and crawl out of bed. “I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about,” I mumble, rubbing my eyes and open my window to look at the yawn.

Flipping ducks like no other.