P.S. I Hate You

Friends And Foe's Kid

So yes, in case you were wondering- or cared- the rest of the day passed and sucked big time. Like huge time, really. I mean, it was nice sticking out of P.E. since that bruise- although they do think I’ll be okay next week and everything, unfortunately- but whatever.
When it finally ends, I run to find Jaz and grab her from the hallway. “So you knew?” I demand immediately.

“About what?” She says innocently.

I give her a look.

She takes a deep breath hesitantly. “Uh… maybe?” She offers weakly.

I groan and punch the wall. “Why couldn’t you tell me?” I ask. “What, did you think it was better for me to come to school and find them together, and everyone else knowing, but me?”

“Well, I was going to, there just… wasn’t a right opportunity,” she tries.

I shake my head furiously. “There never is! Okay, don’t you get it? We have to make the perfect opportunities to get anywhere in life.” I frown. “And all my friends just screwed it up,” I mutter spitefully and leave.

I can’t believe it. I can’t believe it. I can’t believe it. I can’t believe it!

I hate them all.

Okay, maybe not.

But I’m still mad.

I only hate Caleb. That jerk.

Do I hate Rhea? I can’t decide. I stare hard at the ground as I walk, thinking. Jaz has always been there, for sure- and so had Rhea. Jaz was the one to snap back when the insults hurt too much, to react and shove it in their faces, while Rhea was the one to stay with me, through all those ridiculous emotional moments, forever dragging me to the bathroom to clean myself up and everything, being optimistic about it.

Now this?

I think anyone could easily understand my dilemma. I mean, everyone knew, it seemed- I could feel eyes staring hard at me all day long, obviously wondering how I’d take it. Everyone knows how Caleb and I hate each other. We hate each other with a passion! So why this, why now, why her?!

“Kiley?” I jerk my head up.

“Yeah, Benji?” I sigh.

“Devin’s brother isn’t here.”

I look at Devin blankly. His brother… oh right, the devil. I glance around. “And?” I ask, feeling clueless.

“We’ve been waiting a while,” Benji says helpfully. I just look at him. It makes him hesitate more. “Can he come with us? He’s always picked up before us, and it would be weird, not today…” he trails off.

Oh… “You do recall I have work?” I ask him.

Benji looks at Devin who nods. Benji looks back at me and nods, smiling hopefully. I look at Devin uneasily, who it’s easy to see will grow up to look just like his brother… I could puke. “Fine,” I mumble, and start walking.

The boys excitedly chatter and laugh behind me as we walk to the bookstore. I start on whatever they want me to do for the next three hours. The boys spend the time reading and doing some schoolwork and just chatting quietly in a corner.

Finally, home! To… homework. Oh, how exciting. Ugh. “Devin, you ready for home?” I ask as we reach our street.

Devin looks at Benji reluctantly, obviously wishing that he could come over, or Benji could come… “I guess,” he says finally.

Benji follows Devin and me, bored and not even thinking about it, I follow after them to drop the shrimp kid off. He’s just stepping onto the porch when the door swings open to reveal who else, but him.

“Finally!” He shouts, shoving Devin in and turns to me. “What do you think you were doing, taking my brother off like that?! Who said you could? How dare you think you can do that! Just because your brother-”

I don’t want to hear his next comment, no matter what it is, and upright slap him. “Don’t you dare talk about my brother!” I snap. “I took Devin with me because YOU weren’t there to pick him up, okay? I was the one watching him, while you were probably off, salivating with your girlfriend!”

I glare, grab Benji and head off. Caleb can’t say anything, because we all know it’s true.
Stepping into our house, its quiet for a minute. Then Benji speaks up. “What’s salivating?” He asks innocently.

I look at him for a minute, then laugh, shaking my head and go off to my bedroom. There, I work on some homework until Benji comes up and needs my help with his reading. Mom calls and says I have to make dinner, and I do that while I work with Benji.

Dinner’s fine, boring, the usual. Eh, whatever and everything, you know? But my parents keep me talking for another hour and ‘kindly’ ask me to clean up the kitchen to attend a parent meeting at Benji’s school.

I don’t get all my homework done. Which sucks.
♠ ♠ ♠
such a hard world