P.S. I Hate You

Go Green

I hate Chemistry. There I said, are you happy? Not only am I horrible at it, but I honestly couldn’t care less. I seriously, honestly, couldn’t. Plus just the name of it makes me want to hurl. Or jump out a window at the least, just to escape this. I mean, this is where not only do things smell like skunks, but it’s where the boys try the ridiculously lame lines on all the girls. Even worse- sometimes they work.

“Okay class, as we’re delving deeper now into the semester, I want us to broaden our horizons with our microscopes and see Chemistry in a whole new light!” Shrills our teacher, waving around her metal stick. She’s giddy with excitement, but I’m thinking it’s the fumes.

“Best of all, you get to be partnered!” She adds like she just found the meaning of life. And it really has to be the fumes. No one’s that excited. And then she starts that laughing that sounds exactly like a hyena when the kids start talking. “Oh, sillies- I’ll choose them. But don’t worry, you’ll have so much fun!” She smiles as if we’re all happy about this. Still smiling when we all frown, also.

Rolling my eyes, I swivel around in my chair at my two-personed lab desk. However, I get it to myself not only because there are an odd assortment of students, but because I apparently intimidate too many people to want to sit next to me. Eh, well…

Humming, I chew on the rubbery end of my pencil as I watch Ms. Birdish- no joke- continue walking around like she’s on cloud nine, pairing up random people. Some good matches, and others not. But as it is, she ain’t falling off that cloud any time soon. Scrunching my nose up, I try to decide how good this could turn out. And yet again, I should knew better- destiny or life itself, is never in my favor.

I should be laughing at the irony of this situation, I really should.

Buuuuut I’m not.

“And Mr. Williams, you can join Ms. Shiloh over here, hurry now,” she coos over, waggling her finger and tapping the empty seat next to me. Well, somewhat empty, because my feet are resting on it at the current moment.

From the corner of my eye, I watch him shuffle over, muttering under his breath how his life is probably very unfair and he shoves his pack onto the desk and moves my feet very unkindly to sit there. But he makes a whispering sound, keeping Birdish over here.

“Hey, now, you know…” he starts casually, shrugging his shoulders with his pearly smile. “I don’t know about this. I mean, you said how this project means a lot, but don’t you think then, it should be up to us? Our partners, you mean. After all, we know our personal best eh, habitats and working schedules. Shouldn’t we work together, find something that works with someone else? After all, just pairing us up like this…” he shrugs slowly, trying to sweet talk his way out of it.

Oh, please. Gag me already… I roll my eyes and shove my finger in my throat- my middle finger as it may be, just to be smart- and start making gagging sounds.

Caleb shoots me a dirty look, pausing and thrown off track by the racket I seem to be making- after all, it’s attracting attention and I can hear people snorting and giggling near by. But when he looks over, I just look at him innocently.

“I didn’t say anything,” I tell him innocently, eyes wide. “Continue in that sick voice, why don’t you?”

He shoots me a dirty look, shakes his head and returns to talking to Birdish. “I simply don’t think this arrangement can work out to anyone’s benefit, you see. There are too many differnces- teachers like yourself have even intervened countless times, and it simply doesn’t work.”

I roll my eyes. “Oh, come on, Caleb. Don’t you want to give us a chance? I mean, global warming is going to catch us soon and we’ll all die! Don’t you want to do what you can, to make the world a happier place? Go green, Caleb, and just love!” The snort comes out quickly and I snicker.

“At least I’m trying to get out of this,” he spits, frustrated with me.

“At least I don’t care,” I cross my arms and roll my eyes again. I swear, it’s an art. Must be perfected and I most certainly have. There’s a dry smirk playing on my lips with Caleb’s narrowed eyes latched onto mine, a silent battle fighting.

“Apparently so, because you’re sure happy to die,” he snarls.

“Oh please, the first person I’d ever even attempt to kill, is you.”

“You wish, you couldn’t do a thing, Shiloh.”

“Oh please, last names now? How classic. You’ll really be a legend, you know that?”

“Now, kids…” We ignore Ms. Birdish who’s twittering about us as the rest of the class continues egging us two on, even though we don’t need it a bit. After all, it’s me and Caleb we’re talking about here. We love nothing more than to fight against the one we hate, and we’re good- okay, great- at making drama out of it.

Sooo maybe I went too far, and maybe I didn’t. But what can I say? The temperatures arose and we were both yelling. No one even attempted to stop us, you know? Nah, they were having too much fun watch us fighting. So when he made too far a comment about my family, I had to do something. I grabbed the closest thing, and flung at him. Part of me, I think, was hoping it was really acid.

Unfortunately, it was just water and dye. But as it soaked his hair and clothes, I was still laughing. After all, I was telling him just moments before, to go green.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments?
and thoughts on the layout?