P.S. I Hate You

Wake Up Calls

“Well, hello there, Kiley, dear!” Mr. Williams booms, rubbing my shoulder upon seeing me. I stare at him surprised for a moment, before I recall that he works here- well, he pretty much owns the place. But still.

I grasp onto a smile and wear it. “Well, hi, there, sir. How are you?”

“Just fine, and you sure seem to be doing a good job- I see you handle that last scraggle of partners.” He chuckles, glancing around. “Seems like we’re closing up, now. Headed home?”

“Uh, yeah,” I glance around. “I just have to grab my brother and we’ll be headed out.”

“Ben’s here?” His eyes brighten. “That kid is just like my own. Say, how about I take you two home and have dinner with us? You know how my wife loves your company,” he adds hopefully. Hopeful for company and some youth, I suspect. “She’s making brownies for dessert.”

Hesitating, I glance around for Benji, trying to weigh my options. On one hand, he would want to. But on another, it’s never too safe doing anything it seems, and Gerald… I bite my lip. “Well, I’m not too sure.” Especially since these parents have that demon inside.

“I insist,” he shakes his head. “Grab your things and turn out the lights. You’ll be begging for more brownies tonight, I assure.” Then he walks around, helping clean up with the last few employees as well.

Still, I can’t help but smile a little- he’s just a really nice guy. He’s always around, talking to everyone. His charisma is off the walls and I don’t think anyone could ever hate the man. Sighing, I pull off my nametag, clean up a little, and grab Benji. “Hey, kid. You want to go to the William’s for dinner?”

He immediately brightens. “Yeah!” I help him grab his things and we head out together.

“I’m so glad you two came over,” Mrs. Williams beams. “You two always brighten the house. Especially you, love, it’s great having another woman in the house.” She winks as she brings over the mashed potatoes. “Boys!” She calls down the hall. “Dinner! And we have guests!”

“Smells great,” I venture as we wait.

“Well, thank you,” she chuckles. “It seems like it’s all I do all day, cooking and all that. But I suppose I don’t mind, because it always smells so good.”

“It’s why I have this,” her husband chuckles, patting his large belly.

“Oh dear,” she laughs lightly and that’s when Devin and Caleb appear. “Finally,” she smiles, beckoning them over. I eye them warily from where I sit. I’d already positioned her next to me, and Benji on my other side. I should be safe… except he sits across from me. Ugh. I don’t have to sit next to him, but I have to look at him. Talk about a lack of appetite.

Anyways, the food is good except for the view. The parents talk to us kids about school, activities and the like. They even mention doing a big family dinner with everyone, meaning my parents- but like that would happen… it wouldn’t. So I just smile, say they are usually busy, and change the subject- something I’m pretty darn good at.

At last, I’m freed and we step out the door, saying our goodbyes. I wave and wave and finally they shut the door. My smile drops from my face, aching from having to be used all evening. I let out a little groan from numerous reasons and watch my brother start skipping me around.

Caleb, who had disappeared half through, I realize, had been hiding in his car, listening to music. As we cross the yard, I watch him from the corner of my eye. His lips are turned up in a scowl, and that’s when I see the cigarette. My lips curl and he smirks, smoothly sliding out of the car, killing the smoke under his toe. I shake my head and he strolls on up.

I can’t believe him. How stupid. But he would, wouldn’t he?

Then I realize he never locked his car, and an idea comes to mind.

I wake up early for my little devious plan. A shower and a change into the usual ripped skinny jeans and plain sweater, I pull my hair in a messy bun as I jump down the stairs soundlessly-which took practice- and promptly fall on the last step, loud enough to wake the neighborhood.

Groaning, I pick myself up, and wait for someone to come yell at me. However, apparently everyone is still out. Satisfied I’m still alone, I tiptoe out the front door, smirking.

And then thirty minutes later, I run inside, panting as my heart pumps quickly. I race up to my room to watch from there, and closing the door as if I was never out. I even wiped the mud off my shoes, just to be extra sure. Gently rubbing my new bruise on my hip, I chuckle and watch the show begin.

It’s the noise. Windshield wipers. I check the time. It’s nearly five now. The time where people are really enjoying their sleep. I cover my mouth to stop the ready-to-burst laugh. The wipers are going madly, nearly falling off from the force. Then the blinkers begin, and I know the light has to be blaring inside their house. Not a pretty thought.

After that, the engine starts roaring, over and over again with the little keywire that I fiddled with- I’ve done that enough times with Gerald’s car to do it in less than five minutes. And that’s seriously saying something, I assure. The last part, where already one of our neighbors has stepped out, is the blasting radio. It starts on some old Zeplin song and I stop myself from singing along.

I’m still laughing and rolling on the floor when a clumsy, half-awake Caleb comes out in only his boxers with several neighbors out in their bathrobes, yelling at him- including Gerald. This may have made my day.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry its been a while!
anyone still subscribed?
Been really busy. It's summer, of course, and I'm getting ready to go to college! AAHHH. lol
Anyways, working out the endings for all of my stories so i can choose something to polish up and totally publish. :) maybe... about fifty to sixty chapters. thats it though....
comment?