P.S. I Hate You

Such A Fun Sleepover

I walk hesitantly behind him as we enter the kitchen where the lady’s got her back to us, trying to reach something on a higher shelf that she can’t reach. Caleb easily grabs them. “Thank you, dear,” Mrs. Williams smiles and then sees me. “Well, hello! Did you come home with Caleb?”

“If… you want to call it that,” I force a smile on my face. “I was, uh, just coming for Benji…” I trail off. Footsteps come running and it reveals Benji, whose face brightens and he runs over to get me a hug. “Hey, kid. You doing okay?” I ruffle his hair, bending to get eye length. After a minute’s hesitation, he nods. “Good, good.”

“Why don’t you two stay here?” Mrs. Williams volunteers. “The lights won’t be coming back for a while and it could be dangerous. We can play some games and everything!”

“Uh…” I don’t know what to say and glance at Benji who looks at me hopefully. Well, it might be safer… “I suppose…” I nearly wince and determinedly refuse to look Caleb’s way- but I do hear him grunt and he leaves.

“Dear! Where are you going? We have guests now.”

He pauses. “Homework,” he mutters and leaves.

Mrs. Williams sighs. “I’m sorry, I don’t know what’s gotten to him now.”

“No worries,” I manage. “I do,” I mutter under my breath and proceed to help her around the kitchen as she decided to make some no-bake cookies and fix up a small picnic for us to eat on a blanket in the family room.

I slowly talk with her, giving as little information as possible as the two younger boys laugh and Benji forgets about his fear of the dark. We chat and eat, and Caleb never returns. Which, I must say, is a good thing.

Then, I realize: I’m nearly practically enjoying this. I mean, I’m tired and I’m spending this night with my worst enemy’s family… and so Devin is a little weird but his mom rocks and I’m so jealous, wishing my mom would be like this. Then Mr. Williams comes home, late from work and joins in. He jokes with the little kids and repeats a few of the questions his wife asked. Then, how I dreaded this question. “So, you see Caleb often? Ever do anything together? Friends?” They ask.

I hesitate, holding onto my paper cup filled with sparkling cider. “Well, uh…” I glance around and notice that Caleb’s drifting around in the back, like he was going to the kitchen but stopped to eavesdrop. “Not… exactly. We, erm… hang out with other people,” I mumble, hoping they don’t notice my locked jaw and the way I look up to see Caleb looking scornfully at me as he crosses over for a glass of water.

He leaves in silence and I change the topic. It seems his father is the CEO of a popular bookstore and then I realize something. “Wait- you own Y & W Bookstore and Co.?” I ask in amazement. “I just- I got a call earlier, saying I might’ve gotten a job there…”

“Really?” He asks delightedly. “Normally I don’t include myself too much, since I’m busy putting up another bookstore in Chicago, but I myself shall evaluate your resume and see about your interview. You seem like a good intelligent young lady and I’d be proud to have you on our crew,” he grins.

I flush a little. “Oh, uh, thanks.”

Caleb comes by again to pick up the paper and take it back to his room just as- unfortunately- they’re asking me about school and cars. “Well Caleb has a car- Caleb!” His mom says happily upon seeing him. We both wince, seeing where it’s going.

“Later,” he tries to avoid it.

“No, no, it’ll only take a minute,” his mom replies. “Have you been seeing Kiley here walking to school? And you never offered her a ride? How could you? From now on, you’ll be there for her, yes?”

He refuses to look at me and I don’t blame him as I fiddle with my straw. Say no, you idiot, just say it!“Fine,” he grits his teeth and stomps out. My eyes narrowed I glare at him as he goes. It’s not like I’m happy about this, either, or anything.

“Kiley?” Mr. Williams pulls me from my thoughts. “I’m afraid the electricity isn’t working yet, but you and Benji are free to crash here on the couches until morning.”

“Yeah!” Benji cries. “Please?” He asks me quickly.

I hate how I love him, the little adorable jerk. “Fine, I guess…” I trail off. I help them clean up and they bring us some pillows and blankets. I give Benji their couch and huddle up in a chair after they leave for their own rooms.

“Kiley?” Benji whispers just as I’m dozing.

“Hm?”

“Thanks.”

I yawn. “You’re welcome, kid. Now get some sleep.”
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it's short, but the other waaas long, sooo yeah :D
happy b-day again!