Something That Makes Me Whole

Quatorze

Brian POV

Going back to college after Christmas knowing Orchid wasn't going to be there and Amber was going to be at my dad's was weird. I still had all the guys and Sarah to keep me company though so it wasn't that bad. It was just that none of them were Amber or Orchid.

I lugged my things back into the room but stopped when I saw a pile mounting. A pile of not my stuff might I add. I stared at it for a while as if this was going to answer my question, then I took my things to my room. As I was shoving the bags out of the way for me to unpack later I glanced at the wall and noticed a pencil scribble with 'Amber' written beneath it. I smiled and let out a laugh before going back into the living room.

Now I discovered who the stuff belonged too. From the back I could only see the fact they had long, thick curly black hair and a small butterfly tattoo on their back. "Err, hi." I greeted. She turned and smiled widely at me. Now I could see she had brown eyes, her ears pierced even that bit in the middle I don't know the name of, conch I think. Oh god, why did I recognise her? It was like this with Orchid and it took me a week to figure out where I knew her from.

"Hi, I'm Carla." She said with a small wave giving me a look as if she recognised me.

"Brian." I smiled back as I heard two loud voices entering the room. One belonged to Zack the other toMrs Vengeance Sarah. They both stopped in silence, watching Carla before the both grinned and said hi themselves.

"Yeah so, I'm your new roommate. I transferred colleges." Carla explained.

"Oooo cool!" Sarah smiled. "Just don't try and move in on Brian because as much as he won't say it he's in love with his old roommate and-"

"Let's go introduce you to the other two." I butted in loudly with a nervous laugh and Sarah pouted at me which I ignored and headed towards the door. Zack followed close behind me and I guess Sarah and Carla brought up the rear. We headed down the corridor and let ourselves into Jimmy and Matt's room.

I knew they were both back because I'd walked up here with them. We found them filling the fridge with beer and various other alcohol. No surprises. Jimmy was first to look up and he smiled with a 'hey' which obviously alerted Matt to our presence. His eyes wandered over to Carla and he stood staring at her like a guppy fish. I looked to see her reaction and she just stared back. "Carla?" He questioned.

"Matt?" She replied.

I looked back at her as did Zack and Jimmy. That's why I recognised her. She was Matt's first serious girlfriend but they broke up when she moved away and now, obviously, she had come back. I chewed my bottom lip and glanced at Zack. Sarah looked highly confused. We decided to leave Matt and Carla to catch up and I decided to go ring Amber. She wasn't going to school until tomorrow.

I sank down into my usual seat on the couch where the groove was still present; the cushions were cold but I new they wouldn't stay that way for long. Looking to my side there was a cushion of nothing and a small groove on the end cushion where Orchid used to sit. I gripped the phone tighter, feeling sadness creep into me. Sure I'd spoken to her over Christmas but I still missed herbadly.

I shook it off and dialled my fathers home number before raising it to my ear. The call kicked in only for my brother Brent to grunt. He wasn't the most social of people sometimes. "Yo man." I greeted.

"Mph. Why did you have to leave it with us?" He grumbled. "McKenna is bad enough."

I screwed my eyes up, chewing my lip as I tried not to laugh out. "And who is it when she's at home?"

"Amber! She's the spawn of the devil, I swear!" He almost yelled down the phone, with a tone that sounded almost like he was begging for me to go pick her up. "You let her spend too much time with Zack and when she's with McKenna it's worse! Oh and dad encourages her too!" I let out the laugh now, not helping myself. "I mean, when I woke up, I caught her putting toothpaste all over me and dad was just stood at my bedroom door with a camera laughing! Seriously, she was never like that before your girlfriend went away! Tell her to stop being a model and look after Amber! She can control her!"

"She's going to school tomorrow so you won't have to put up with her." I laughed. "And Orchid isn't my girlfriend and doesn't intend on having children. Now, put Amber on."

"Okay whatever you say, Amber!" He then yelled, forcing me to hold the phone away from ear. "Dad's on the phone!"

I heard the familiar excited squeal and my heart rose. My entire universe revolved around Amber. When I first found out her mom was pregnant with her I panicked and people gave me bad judgments, telling me that at fifteen I would be useless. The moment I set eyes on her though, I don't know, something changed. I fell in love with her instantly and I always tried to do the right thing for her. Including finding that one special person, even though I never ever under any circumstance would admit it, she could look up to as a mother.

"Heya daddy!" Amber finally said into the receiver.

"Hey, how's it hanging?"

"Me and granddad are going to walk the doggies."

"Looking forward to school?"

"Yep! Are you going to watch Orchid on TV later?"

I froze a moment. She was going to be on TV? "Of course I will, we all will."

"Good. What are you doing?" She then asked but I was now only half concentrating because I was trying to find what programme was going to be on let alone what channel and at what time.

"I've not long arrived sweetie so I'm putting things away."

"Brent says if you are looking for the thingy with Orchid it's on at 6 on the fashion channel."

I stopped, pouting a little. Dammit, only four and she already knew me without being in the same room. I talked to her for a bit longer before letting her go and going to tidy my stuff away properly. Then I was informed we were all going to a local bar. Haha, what do you do on your first night back