Something That Makes Me Whole

Dix-Neuf

Sarah POV

We all looked at Brian now, waiting for him to reply. He looked down with a sigh, and I saw a tear roll down his cheek and drip off onto his black trousers. I understood before he even spoke the words. "I love her." He whimpered, his voice barely heard.

Finally a barrage of tears stained his face as he let his sorrow go. I let go of Zack and moved over to him, carefully sitting on the seat beside him, so as not to sit on Amber, and pulled him into a hug. I'd never seen Brian cry or show any sort of emotion other than towards his daughter so this was big for him.

"We're doing all we can." The detective assured, but I knew in Brian's mind it wasn't good enough.

"If you'd done your fucking job properly in the first place this wouldn't even have happened!" He yelled, jerking Amber awake. She looked up at me and I saw tears form in her eyes before she began to cry. She scrambled around me and curled up in Brian's lap.

Then he stood up, carrying her towards the door, the pair of them crying uncontrollably. I went after him and stopped him, taking Amber from him and holding her myself. "Brian go in the shower or something, I'll put her to bed." I offered and he just nodded. I don't think he was up to arguing right now. Not with us anyway; he could quite happily yell at the police.

I followed Brian up the stairs and headed into the room with boxes of toys and pink fairy curtains over the windows. I set her down and crouched in front of her. Carefully I wiped the tears from her eyes as Zack stepped in closing the door behind him. "Where is Orchid?" Amber whimpered as she pulled on her pyjamas.

I glanced at Zack who was folding the clothes she had taken off and he tried to give a weak smile. "Erm, we don't know." I replied truthfully; she wasn't a stupid girl and lying wouldn't make it any better.

"Will she be okay?" She then said, taking her earrings out carefully, before passing me a hairbrush and bobble.

She turned and I began brushing the knots from her soft dark hair, then drew it all together and put the bobble in her hair. "Of course she will be okay." Zack said, smiling at her. "She's one of your daddy's friends and when have we ever not been okay?"

That brought a small smile and a laugh to match as she wiped her eyes and went to her bed. Once she was in Zack sat cross legged next to her bed holding a book he was obviously going to read with her. I sat beside him, resting my head on his shoulder.

Just as Zack opened his mouth Amber spoke. "Daddy, don't be sad."

We looked over to the door and saw Brian coming across the room to her. His eyes were sad, and the only clue to his tears were the fact that they were bloodshot. I'm not sure he'd been in the shower properly though because five minutes wasn't enough to relax. "Uncle Zacky says that because she's one of your friends she will be okay."

"She will." I then said. "This one time in school, she broke this guys arm because he was annoying her."

"Really?" Both the four year old and the green eyed nineteen year old said simultaneously.

I just nodded with a grin as I stood up to let Brian sit and read to her. I grabbed Zack's hand we silently went downstairs. The detective was still downstairs, well, a lot of people were downstairs. We sat on the sofa next to Johnny and waited, the lot of us in silence. What could we say really? There were no words or anything that would bring her home right now. It was just down to the police.

Brian POV

When I went into the family room I sat on the armrest of the chair Matt and Carla were squished into. Carla squeezed my hand and gave me a reassuring smile, which I tried to return. This could probably a bit easier now Amber was in bed; people didn't have to be careful about what they were saying.

"Has anyone rung her parents?" I asked out loud, really aiming this at Felix and Sarah.

"Pfft." Felix huffed. "Her dad won't care."

"I rang Conner and Georgi. They'll have told their mom." Sarah then piped up. I just nodded, watching people walk passed the open door in the hallway. I refused to have the TV simply because the news would talk about her kidnapping and it was bad enough seeing it actually happen without having to relive it through the media.

The police had the TV in the kitchen on though; they had to keep an eye on things obviously. Suddenly my phone began to ring where it was next to the TV remote. I reached over, as I noticed several people coming into the room, and picked it up. I didn't recognize the number but something told me I should answer it.

I slid the cellphone up and held it to my ear. "Hello?"

"Oh my God Brian!" I wailing voice cried down the line at me and my heart sped up.

"Orchid? Where are you? Are you okay?" Tears came back to my eyes as everyone stood up and the detective came to me. He made a motion like he wanted to take the call, but I just ignored him.

She was crying heavily, scared witless. "I don't know!" She cried yet again. "I'm so scared Brian, I don't know who he is or where I am! I don't even know what-"

"Orchid shush," tears streamed from my eyes as I kept pushing the detective away from me "it's gonna be okay. They'll find you and then tomorrow you'll be back with all of us and he'll be behind bars and-" my heart flipped when I heard a muffled scream and a clatter "-Orchid? Orchid are you there?"

"No. She isn't." This was a new voice, a male.

"Who is this?" I snarled down the phone.

"Orchid's soul mate. We were meant to be together 'Brian'. We are outcasts, we belong together." He said, almost in a mocking voice.

"I swear to God when I see you-"

"Put the detective on." He ordered, cutting my yelling off.

I passed it over anxious as the guy paced the room on the phone. A few minutes later he put it down, but didn't hand it back. Everyone took a step towards him, wanting to know what her kidnapper had said. He just walked out of the room to the kitchen where the rest of them were, but we followed.

"We have to find her quickly." He said handing my phone to some guy who passed it to someone else who began doing all manner of unexplainable things to it. Then he turned to us lot, grouped around the door looking thoroughly confused. "We're keeping your phone because we need to trace the call. All of your phone lines from now until she is found are to be tapped in case of further calls."

At that everyone of them pulled their phones from the pockets and handed them over. We were willing to do anything to get her back safe.