Something That Makes Me Whole

Vingt-Six

Brian POV

I heard the sound of a car engine cutting off drawing my attention away from the television. I waited for the sound of a car door closing but none came and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. I kept on watching the TV thinking that whoever it was, was sitting in their car doing something before they got out, when suddenly a pair of arms wrapped around my throat and Orchid fell over the back of the sofa and onto my lap, laughing.

"Haha!" She laughed as she sat round properly. "You weren't expecting me!"

"Did you leave your car door open?" I replied.

"Ha, yeah like I'm just going to leave the door to my extremely expensive Mercedes-Benz open."

"Then how come I didn't hear it close?"

"Get your wallet and you shall find out won't you?" She said, climbing to her feet and going over to the front door where she stood swinging her car keys around her finger watching me with an amused smile. I'd temporarily forgotten she'd said we'd be decorating Amber's room. Then again, I'd fallen asleep for a couple of hours after the others left.

I switched off the TV and took my mug with cold coffee sitting in the bottom to the kitchen before doing as I was told and getting my wallet. Then I quickly rooted out my shades and placed my Fedora on my head before stepping out after her. Once I had locked the front door behind me Orchid threw her car keys at me. I caught them and looked up at her where she stood at the shotgun door. "Well aren't you going to unlock it then?" She asked.

I looked down at the set of keys and picked out the one I guessed was the remote key, simply because it had the Mercedes symbol on it adn no piece for putting into the lock. I pressed down on it, pointing it towards the car and the lights flashed, and I heard it unlock. Orchid grinned at me as she pulled open the door and climbed in with ease, then she yanked it, but instead of getting the slam like I had expected, it closed smoothly and quietly.

That's why I didn't hear the door close. I hurried round the other side and opened the door, before slipping into the cool leather seats. She laughed at me as I grinned, pulling the door to a close and sliding the seat back so I was more comfortable.

I could smell the expensive vanilla scented perfume she wore as well as a faint undertone of coffee which I knew she drank plenty of. I'd missed that when she was in New York. I put the keys in the ignition and turned them until the engine came to life with a purr. Already Iliked loved this car and I hadn't even started driving it yet.

"Stop getting turned on by my car and drive, please, we have paint to buy." Orchid's laughing voice said.

I felt like replying to her with "the only thing that is turning me on right now is you" but given the situation that had led her to living with me I thought I better hadn't. Instead I put the car in reverse and backed out, before straightening up and heading away down the street.

"I might have to nick your car." I commented to her as I slowed at the intersection.

"You do know I come attached to it?" I glanced at her quickly and saw a sly grin on her very very kissable looking lips, and one of her neatly plucked eyebrows raised at me. "This is my favourite car out of all the ones I've had."

"I think I can live with that." I grinned in reply. "Anyway, how was Zack?"

Orchid let out a chuckle, bringing her feet up so that they rested on the dashboard and wrapping her arms about her knees. "Concussed." She said simply, still with the laughing.

"And?" I pushed, knowing there was more by the way she was laughing.

"When the doctor looked through his notes, he commented on how many injuries he had incurred-"

"Because he was drunk." I finished, remembering all the times I had been with him in the Emergency Room.

"The doctor told him to lay off the drink for a while." She grinned brightly. "And I would have given anything for a camera to photograph the face he made! It was like telling him to hold onto a red hot poker, or, no worse than that! The doctor may as well have told him to dump Sarah, that's how shocked he looked by the suggestion!!"

I shook my head, laughing as I pulled into a parking bay outside of the hardware store. I turned off the engine and we climbed out; whilst I lokced up, Orchid waited at the front of the car. When I reached her she slipped her hand into mine, our fingers interlocking, and I looked at them a little confused. "If you don't keep hold of me in here, you will lose me Brian." She explained.

I gripped her hand tighter, pressing my fingers into the back of her hand and she responded by doing the same. "In that case I shall hold on tighter, so you can't escape." I smirked as the automatic doors opened and we stepped into the cool hardware building full of men and moaning women, and the smell of metal and wood and paint.

"I like holding your hand anyway." She retorted, glancing sideways at me as if to see how I would react. "It makes me feel safe."

"You know you're safe when you're with me, I've already promised you that."

Orchid looked up at me properly, no smile on her face but her eyes looked happy and that was good enough for me. Then she wrapped her arms around me in a hug, not once letting my hand go, and I kissed the top of her head. People were watching us as we did this, all the while continuing to walk. Some of the women were pulling those 'aww, look at them two, so young and in love' faces.

"I know." She mumbled from my chest as I guided her up the aisle with shelf upon shelf stacked with tins of paint. "That's one of the things I love about you, Brian, you make me feel like nothing could ever touch me."

Then Orchid stood straight, letting me go from her hug, still with her hand inside of mine and pulling me to a stop. Her eyes began scanning different tins, only now did she let go completely and crouched down to survey the colours available. I think they had every colour under the sun, just from looking around me where I stood.

Suddenly a group of teenagers came up the aisle, pushing each other ahead and whispering excitedly. Orchid looked up at me with an amused smile, then looked at them. I think they'd finally nominated one of the guys to talk because he was at the foremost front of the group. "Erm, are you Orchid Watson?" He asked, his voice sounding nervous and squeaky.

"Yeah." She smiled, standing up and kinda towering over him and the girls in the group.

"Could I, I mean could we, have your autograph? Please."

"Sure."

The kids yelled excitedly, whipping out pens and paper and camera's for photos too. Haha, of all the places to meet a celebrity and get photographed with, it's in a hardware store, the paint aisle no less. It was also odd because they recognized her for wearing glamorous clothes and high heels, yet right now she was wearing a pair of ripped denim 3/4 lengths (I had a feeling they were normal jeans at some point in their life), an AC/DC skinny tee with a studded belt and Vans slip ons.

Finally they sidled away down the aisle and she turned back to me. I just stood grinning at her, trying not to laugh. "What?" She pouted.

"Save that pout for the catwalk and choose the paint." I laughed.

"I do not pout on the catwalk." She said finally pulling some tins off the shelve and showing me. One was hot pink, the other purple. Oh yes, definitely Amber. I grabbed up a couple more tins and we went round for some other things before paying and heading home.