Something That Makes Me Whole

Trente-Trois

Stepping off the plane at the JFK International Airport at the other end it was dark, late in the night because of the time difference obviously and for now, as we walked along the gangway from plane door to terminal, it was quiet. The heavies didn't have much to do and Brian was quite happy to hold my hand and kinda lead me along.

I glanced up at him the nearer we got to the terminal and he smiled down. "I hope you know it won't be like this the moment we get around the corner." I said, keeping my gaze on him.

"What do you mean?" He replied, raising one eyebrow slightly.

"You know the little known fact I'm famous?"

I needn't say anymore as we rounded the corner and the heavies closed in on me, Felix taking up the lead as I just simply smiled at the flashing cameras and ignored the microphones being shoved in my way by the reporters hungry for my words. Brian looked a little overwhelmed by it, so I just squeezed his hand tighter.

"I see what you mean." He replied.

"If I could cut this out I would. I sometimes can't see because of all the fucking flashes going off." I then said and he chuckled in response. "It's like that time Zack dared Johnny to stare into that car headlight for as long as he could and the idiot went ahead and did it. Only I have no choice."

Brian did something stupid then. Well, considering the company we were in it was stupid. He leaned down and kissed me, sending the camera's into an overload which really did temporarily render me blinded. The fact that Felix was such a good agent and friend was probably the only reason we got through the airport and to the waiting taxi outside.

I wasn't overly surprised to see we were staying in The Alex in east Midtown. It was only two blocks away from Park Avenue, and, the less exciting United Nations headquarters. Upon entering the lobby it was painted in white, with a contemporary edge, glass walls broken up by thick black lines, dark wood to make up the front counter and ambient lighting in varying colours.

I'd never actually stayed here myself, so it wasn't only Brian who’s eyes were widened at it. Then I pulled him over to the front desk as Felix checked us in. As far as I was aware we were staying for a week for the filming of this programme. Finally the lady with coiffed up hair and a neat black fitted shirt attended us. "Hello, I've got two reservations booked, one under Miss Watson and one for Mr Gregson."

The lady farted about with her LCD computer. Then she glanced up from behind the counter. "The one-bedroom suite for Miss Orchid-Rose Watson and the deluxe room for Mr Felix Gregson?" She questioned and he nodded; she smiled and from where I was standing I couldn't help but notice what it said on the computer about the price.

The lady handed over the room keys and sent some guy to take care of our bags as we went in search of our allocated rooms. Stepping into the 10th floor room, it was like walking into a smaller, whiter version of my apartment a mile away next to Central Park. It certainly fitted the price I'd seen.

"Oh my God." Brian said quietly, following in behind me and I flashed him a smile. I dropped the key on the table in the kitchenette and wandered over to the windows with a view of the city.

"When we were in the lobby I saw how much a night it was costing the company who wants me here. So I did the math." I said chewing my lip and looking at him as he explored the room. "For the week, it's nineteen hundred for Felix-"

"And how much for us?" He questioned, his eyes meeting mine from where he was standing in the doorway as he pulled off the navy sweater to reveal quite a suave shirt underneath.

"Five thousand, five hundred and fourteen dollars and thirty cents." I replied. "Or $551.43 per person per night."

Brian let out a low whistle as he came back over and studied the sky line. I went and kicked off my shoes and changed into some shorts and one his t-shirts, then took off my make-up and went back to stand by him near the window, just admiring the view. "Isn't it just the most beautiful thing you've ever seen?" I mused, sitting down on the window seat with one leg tucked up underneath me.

Brian switched his focus to me and smiled. "Not really."

"What?" I laughed incredulously and pointed out the window. "How is that not the most beautiful thing you've seen Brian?"

"Oh, well you see beautiful actually stands at around five foot eight with darkish, brown, choppy layered hair and eyes so pale and icy in their shade of blue that they look like crystals." He smiled, sitting down beside me and resting his hand on the leg that I wasn't sitting on. "Otherwise known as Orchid-Rose Watson."

I leaned forward to kiss him, finding that he happily obliged and let me do so. Then I pulled away to let out a yawn. Brian chuckled and kissed my forehead as I slumped into his chest sleepily, and crawled properly into his lap so to free both my legs. "Bed time I take it."

I nodded, my head rubbing up his chest and crumpling his shirt, which, apart from the downside being that it made it slightly uncomfortable for me till I straightened it out, agitated his cologne and I got a very pleasant whiff of it wander up my nostrils. "Stay there, I'm comfy."

"Be that as it may," Brian then said and suddenly he was scooping me up like I was his bride and carried me through to the bed "you will be far more comfier, leaning on me in a bed."

He laid me down and the moment my head hit the big squishy white pillows I let out another yawn. Brian pulled off his pants and top and climbed into bed, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and pulling me closer till my head was on his chest, my right arm draped across him. Then he pulled the covers over us and switched off the lamp, darkness swallowing the room instantly and forcing my eyelids to close, letting me into a dreamless sleep.

***

I followed Felix through the restaurant, my fingers firmly locked with Brian's, as we made our way to the table we were eating at. Finally I saw it as three people, two men and a woman, stood, smiling at us and Felix hurried up sticking his hand out as invitation to be shook.

"You must be Felix." The man with brownish hair and girlish eyes said, smiling and taking the hand to shake. Then he turned to me and I realised Brian's hand who stood behind me, one hand resting on my hip in that protective way that he does. "And you are Orchid."

"I certainly am." I grinned, taking his hand.

"I'm Julien MacDonald, and this is Lorraine Candy, though I'm quite sure you know her."

"Absolutely." I just smiled, taking her hand after that. "It's a pleasure to work with you again."

"And you." She smiled.

Then I turned to the second guy who I had definitely worked with before, a fashioner designer by the name of Ben De Lisi. He grinned at me and shook my hand; no need for an introduction there since we knew each other.

"This is my boyfriend Brian, Brian Julien works for Givenchy, Lorraine is the Editor-in-Chief for ELLE magazine, and Ben De Lisi is a designer." They all shook hands before we took our seats at the table.

A waiter came over and took our order before coming back with some wine. Whilst it was being poured we sat in silence. I was aware of the looks people were flashing us and I also knew that probably, at least one of the people in the restaurant when they left, would talk to one of the reporters out there. Nosy fuckers.

After the first course which I just picked at because I'm not a first course type of person, and we were waiting for the main dish to be brought out to us, Julien leaned forward in his seat across from me on the round table. "Let me begin by asking do you know what Project Catwalk is?" I nodded in response; of course I do I'm not stupid. "Good, now I really am sorry this is such short notice but the thing is, the designers need their teeth kicking, basically."

I nodded, sipping my wine as Brian stared off at something out the window, the discussion a little beyond him. "We're about half way through the competition now and you know, the standard just isn't good enough and as for the models, like Julien said, they all need a kick in the teeth." Lorraine explained as a plate of some fancy ass salmon dish was placed in front of her.

"So the producers along with us have decided to, as really last minute, raise the bar for them." Julien continued, his Welsh accent standing out boldly.

"And what higher bar could we ever set for them than Orchid-Rose Watson?" Ben now said putting his hands out, palms upwards before clasping them back together. "There really is no standard above you and to be honest, they really need a reality check and you are the best person for that."

I let out a light laugh, sipping from my wine glass once more and then setting the glass on the table. Suddenly I had a binder in front of me, clearly a portfolio of the works already presented by the contestants. I flipped through it and found that it was quite a dire situation. Oh they certainly needed that reality check.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so, because I'm lame when I wrote this chapter allllllll the way back in May, I stayed up half the night looking for a really expensive New York hotel because I'm just a loser like that hahaha.

Anyway! Penultimate part people! Let me know what you think, much love to you all.

xoxo