Something That Makes Me Whole

Six

For a while Amber and I stayed in silence whilst she ate her breakfast and I got my own. When we were done I took her things and washed up whilst she went to get dressed. Then I went in search of my sketchbook.

As I did, I added to my outfit of a denim mini and black tank-top, my long silver chain with the pendants that hung near my bust, I put my Prada sunglasses on my head and grabbed the matching handbag. I was very label conscious which didn't at all reflect my taste in music, since I was all for Blink 182, Foo Fighters and AC/DC.

When I finally found my sketchbook I flipped through it, making a note of all the fabrics I required plus other things. Amber was dressed and sitting looking out of the window. "Hey Amber," I said going over to her "I was thinking maybe we could head out instead of stick around in here all day?"

She looked up at me with those eyes she had so obviously gotten from her father and nowhere else. "Where do you want to go?"

"I need to go get some things so I can do my homework." Then I played the card that always worked with kids. "I drive a really posh car, one with the top that goes down."

I'd brought that all by myself with money from no-one else. My dad didn't really have much to do with me because of the profession I had chosen; he reckoned that I had disgraced the family because I had chosen my career and money over God which is bollocks because I never believed in the guy in the first place. I just humoured my dad by pretending. My mom, my sister and my brother all thought it was great after a while and they supported me.

Amber's eyes widened with excitement and I smiled at her. With that she disappeared and came back with a black jacket. I grabbed up my white cardigan and pulled it on before picking up my wallet, my phone and my car keys. She bounced out into the hall whilst I locked the door, then I hung my handbag on my left arm where it balanced at my elbow and Amber slipped her small hand into mine on my right.

I gave her a smile as she skipped and talked about everything under the sun; she reminded me of myself when I was that age and I couldn't help but smile and talk back. When we got outside I saw her eyes widen at the car I led her to. This car was new and dad was very unhappy when I brought it. Not many priests daughters go round driving silver Mercedes-Benz CLK convertibles; saying that my father must be the only religious man on Earth to have a model-come-fashion designer for a daughter. I was the original naughty-girl.

I always stuck out in school for that. I was the Catholic priest's anorexic model daughter, who should have hung out with the preppy kids because of the way she dressed, but hung round with the outcasts because of her music taste. The preppy girls actually hated me because I was skinny and I had the modelling contract.

I unlocked the door and she climbed into the leather seat and did her seatbelt up as I walked around the other side and climbed into the drivers seat. I jammed the keys into the ignition, starting up the almost silent purr of the engine and then switched on the radio. Instantly noise came out as the guy introduced Guns 'N Roses.

"I love this song." Amber grinned as Axl sang Welcome To The Jungle. "This is one of daddy's favourites and it's my favourite too."

I laughed incredulously. Man, Brian had got her into some good shit. I did up my seatbelt and slid my sunglasses down over my eyes then pressed the button that makes the top go down. The four year olds eyes widened excitedly which made me smile even wider. Okay, I admit, I'm not a child person and I admit that I don't want children. But Amber was special and I found myself warming to her extremely quickly.

Once the top was completely down - and people had stared long enough at me like they always did when I was around - I pulled out of the bay and headed towards the exit. Amber was singing her little heart out and I found myself singing along too. After ten minutes I pulled into a parking lot near the market, put the top up and she climbed out.

I grabbed my handbag from the back seat then climbed out. Amber was already waiting on the sidewalk for me when I had locked my door, and just like when we left my room she held my right hand and I hung my bag from my arm. The market was bustling but I could tell this wasn't the sort she had ever been to before.

This market was like walking straight into Asia and the Caribbean and I loved it. There were so many fantastic foods on offer and the materials I could choose from was better than a proper upholsters. The atmosphere was amazing and everybody was so nice. When I stopped at the first material sellers, Amber stood running her hand gently over each material.

"I need a pink one that is see through a bit like this white one here, Amber." I said, and she set off looking through all the material, but not leaving my sight. I then turned to the guy running the stall, but glancing over at her every now and then, anxious that she didn't go missing.

I discussed with the guy a few of the things on my list which he cut for me and put in a bag, before Amber came to get us and show us pink material she had found. I didn't actually need this, I just felt like being nice and making her something for the fairy doll I saw her clinging to that morning before we left.

When I got what I needed I took her to my favourite ice-cream stall and brought her some then we wandered around the market and eventually out onto the street near the beach. The sun was beating down fiercely for September and I was glad that I had worn a skirt, even though both mine and Amber's jackets ended up in my car.

I was having such a good time that I didn't realise what the time was and at two, my phone began to ring. I pulled it out of my bag as Amber dusted sand off from between her toes, then squished them back in it. I lifted the phone to my ear. "Yo?"

"Erm, Orchid, it's two you're missing your lecture." Brian said. "I mean thanks for looking after Amber and all but you shouldn't miss your lectures just to look after her."

"Oh it's okay we're having fun." I grinned as I squished my own toes between the sand. "We're at the beach. Amber, do you want to talk to daddy?"

She took the phone from me and sat chatting. I felt very tempted to lay back and sunbathe in the sun but I couldn't because I didn't have a bikini on and there was a photographer over in some dry grass where he thought I could see him. Eventually she handed it back and we decided to head home.