Status: Active

When God Made You He Was Showing Off.

1

I looked around the school it was evident that no one was coming to pick me up. Sam was obviously not obliged to be my personal chauffer but I still kinda felt he should be here to pick me up. My dad obviously didn’t care enough to pick me up when I knew he had nothing better to do. He would always tell me how boring it was to sit at work day after day doing nothing. He worked at some travel agency but who in Bon Temps traveled let alone had the money to do it. So he basically knew I would walk home everyday but chose not to interrupt his busy schedule of watching TV at the travel agency. The walk home wasn’t really that far but it was far enough to hate it every time I had to do it. I twirled my iPod in my hands, it was in particularly bad shape due to being dropped countless time on the walks home but it would survive a few more. (I hope) There weren’t any cars passing by and I really didn’t know anyone from this place. So it wasn’t like they would stop for me or anything. I had moved here at the beginning of the summer. My dad had been living here ever since the divorce and everyone knew him when they saw him, it was a small town. My mother had died in the beginning of May, from breast cancer. I had known on some level that she wasn’t going to make it through this time as she had the countless times before. So I had come to terms with her death but sometimes were particularly harder than other. I hated being around all the people in this town and I knew they hated me too. All the stupid remarks I got at school were enough to make me drop out, but my father no matter how irresponsible he was, always made sure I attended regularly. The names were only the beginning of my daily torture, lately the girls had taken to corning me in the bathrooms. I’ve only gotten a few bumps and bruises.

The only friend I had here in this stupid town was Sam, Sam Merlotte. We weren’t exactly friends but he was the closest thing I had to one. I hung around at Merlotte’s most night just to be around Sam and actually talk to someone but when my dad was there I would go hang out in Sam’s trailer or in his office. Home was the last place I wanted to be so I avoided it at all costs. I would rather be anywhere than there. I was getting closer, because I could see the almost invisible turn-off to our driveway. I knew Linda’s car would probably be parked in the driveway. She “lived” there on some occasions when her husband was out of town on business. What I had come to learn from Sam was that he was a traveling salesman, I didn’t even know we still had those around. I walked inside and sure enough Linda was sitting at the counter watching tv, the price is right to be exact.

“Well, hey there Thundr. Shouldn’t you have been home an hour ago?” Linda asked in her cheery voice. God, you have no idea how much I hated her voice. I tried to smile at her but it probably came out looking stupid and weird.

“Uh, no. I had to walk home.” I muttered, turning back to my normal self. At least I tried to be civil. “I’m going, tell my dad.”

I walked back out of the house after dropping my bag on the couch. The only thing I had taken was my iPod and my wallet. I wasn’t a purse kind of girl. It just didn’t suit me to carry one. The walk to Merlotte’s wasn’t that far away, maybe 5 minutes at the most. I had 10cc Love Affair blasting, every time I had tried to get Sam to listen to them he always said it didn’t sound right. I loved to make fun of him. It was my life long passion, this one time he even told me he had the hots for one of his waitresses. He wouldn’t tell me which but I had a pretty good idea. I was at the bar before the song even changed. I walked in the door and it was pretty empty. The lunch crowd was gone and all the after-work drinkers weren’t here yet. Sam wasn’t at the bar but one of the waitresses was sitting there. I think her name started with an A but I really wasn’t sure. I wasn’t the best with names, it was faces that stuck in my brain.

“Do you know where S-” Someone had grabbed me from behind before I even had the chance to finish my question. “Let go of ME.” Sam was laughing heartily behind me. I turned to look at him and he was bent over the bar. I shoved him then sat down at one of the stools.

“You are priceless, you went rigid once I grabbed you.” He laughed wiping the tears from his eyes, jeez it wasn’t that funny. “So Linda at home again?” He had went around to the other side of the bar and placed a bottle of water in front of me.

“Yeah and she was acting very motherly. Asking me why I hadn’t come home from school earlier.” I said making a note to remind her that she wasn’t my mom later. “It was weird.”

“She was probably just worried about you. She has a heart you know.” Sam said as he took a drink from his own bottle of water. “Don’t you think so Arlene?” Oh I was right about her name starting with an A.

“I think this girl should hang around with people her own age and leave the Adults to their own.” She said matter-of-factly, emphasizing the word Adults. What did I ever do to her? She just insults me out of nowhere. I wasn’t just going to take it, I stood up.

“You know wh-” I had started to say but Sam had covered my mouth and was pulling me back towards his office. Arlene was sitting there filing her nails like she had just done nothing wrong. It wasn’t like she was the poster child for moral values. She acted as if she knew everything about me.

“You calm down and keep quiet.” Sam chastised, I was about to object when he walked out of his office and back into the bar area. He hadn’t closed the door fully so I could barely make out what he was saying to Arlene.

“What did she ever do to you? Huh a grown woman being mean to a17 yr old. Does that sound fucking right to you Arlene?” I cringed, I had hardly ever heard Sam curse but when he did it was scary. “She has a hard enough life as it is without having to deal with all your crap. You’re not exactly the person who should be giving advice on moral issues. So you had better apologize to her.” I backed away from the door just in case she planned on coming in right now. I could hear Sam’s footsteps, he was coming back. “She didn’t mean it. She’s been having a rough day.”

I didn’t say anything, it was over. I didn’t want to add insult to injury.

“So are you alright?” Sam had come over and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. I mean that comment shouldn’t have hurt me as much as it did but it just really reminded me of how alone I really am.

“Yeah. It was nothing. I’m used to it.” I shrugged, not wanting to make this a sappy moment.

“That’s what worries me, you shouldn’t be used to it. A girl like you should be happy and carefree.” Sam said pulling me closer to him. He was like the brother I never had. “This is your senior year you should be having the time of your life. What with boyfriends, parties, football games.”

“Yeah, should be, being the keyword.” I mumbled pulling out of Sam’s embrace. “So is Arlene still out there?”

“Uh, she should be but shifts are changing right now. Sookie and Danielle should be coming in right now.” Sam said walking out of the room. “I’ll tell you when Sookie gets here.” He had made sure to close the door all the way this time. I went to sit down in Sam’s big comfy chair. There wasn’t really much to do in here except mess with his ancient computer. I didn’t even bother turning it on. I thought about going to watch tv in Sam’s trailer but just as I was about to get up someone came in.

“Oh, hey Thundr. Sam told me to tell you that Arlene was gone.” Sookie said very sweetly as she put her things in the cubbies Sam had for them. “You look so pretty today. Is that a new necklace?” I reached down to touch the piece of rope around my neck. It was far from being new and Sookie knew it but she was always just trying to be nice.

“Um, thanks, but this necklace is far from being new.” I said as I walked out of Sam’s office with her. Out of all the waitresses Sookie was my favorite. She was the only one who had made the effort to actually talk to me and be nice. While the others went with the crowd and mostly ignored me for fear of being fired by Sam if they said anything. “So how goes the Vampire boyfriend thingy?”

“Thingy?” Sookie laughed as she put on her apron. “You have the weirdest vocabulary. Oh, Bill we kind of had a fight.” I went to go sit down at the counter again and Sam was eying me angrily.

“What?”

“You know damn well what.” he said all the while watching Sookie take the order of the sole customer in Merlotte’s. “You shouldn’t encourage her. It’s dangerous enough to know a Vamp and Sookie is dating one.”

“Look who’s talking dog.” I mumbled under my breath, just loud enough for him to hear.

“You shut up.” Sam said as Sookie started coming back towards us. I knew she could probably read our minds to know what we were talking about but she didn’t look like anything was wrong so I guess she didn’t. “Sookie I have to take off this evening and go into Shreveport for some things. Do you think you and Danielle will be able to handle things around here while I’m gone? Terry will be here and all but that’s about it.”

“Oh sure Sam, don’t worry about it. We’ll be fine. Are you going Thundr?” I looked up at Sam and his expression clearly said no, so I shrugged.

“Nuh uh, Shreveport isn’t my thing.” I pulled out my iPod again as they started to talk business. I walked over to one of the empty booths in Sookie’s area and made myself comfortable.

If you were to be falling in a well, I would throw down a ladder.
And calm all your troubles so you could climb up into my arms.
If you were to be lost at sea.
I would blow on the ocean and change all the currents,
And have the waves carry you home to me. You home to me.
I’d be your everything, your everything, whenever you need me,
I’d be your everything.
If you were to be in a horrible car crash
I would throw myself in front of you and cushion all the impact.
I’d be your human air bag.
If you were to die right here and now
I would pray to the heavens to take my soul instead,
And trade you out, trade you out.
I’d be your everything, your everything, whenever you need me.
I’d be your everything.
If you were to jump off some great height
I would be there at the bottom with arms stretched to the sky.
I’d be your safety net for life, your safety net for life.
And if you were to become without sight.
I would be here to grab onto to and learn to guide you,
Even though your eyes are dark I’d be your light.
I’d be your light, I’d be your light.
I’d be your light.
I’d be your everything, your everything, whenever you need me.
Your everything.


“Thundr, Thundr honey. Wake up.” Someone was whispering as they shook my shoulder. I opened my eyes to see Sookie smiling at me. “Come on you can come sit behind the bar I have a feeling that the evening crowd should be coming in at any time.”

I got up and walked over to the bar and sat behind it on the ground so no one would be able to see me. The bar was still pretty empty but a few couples were here and there having an early-ish dinner before the regular drunks came in.
♠ ♠ ♠
So what do you think?