Status: Active

When God Made You He Was Showing Off.

2

Terry had given me a few jolly ranchers when I sat down. Just as Sookie predicted the evening crowd was coming in. I could hear orders being taken, people dropping their silverware, taking sips from their drinks. It seemed like the usual. The door opened for the millionth time but this time it was different, it was a vampire. It always got this way when Sookie’s boyfriend Bill came in, the bar would get quiet except for Sookie and Terry who were the only ones who would keep going on with their business. I stood up to look at what everyone else was looking at, usually it would only be quiet for a few seconds while everyone took him in but now it was eerily quiet.

He was with a date. Either Sookie was choosing not to care about it or she really hadn’t noticed. I turned the radio up a little louder just to get everyone’s attention again. Once the heard the music they went back to discussing this “situation” amongst themselves. Sookie’s section was filled to the brim so he had to sit in Danielle’s. His date held onto his arm like if she let go he would run. I quickly got out a piece of paper and wrote down a note to Sookie she was coming towards the bar.

“Okay, a bud and a bottle of water.” She said as she let her tray rest on the bar. She was still happy go lucky Sookie so I was almost certain she didn’t realize it yet. I handed her the bottle of water while Terry placed the beer on her tray. I pushed the paper into her hands and thankfully she noticed.

Don’t look! But Bill’s here and he brought a date.

She shook her head like I didn’t know what I was talking about and stuffed the note into her apron. She took the tray back to the table that had ordered it. Danielle had finally come to her senses and went to take Bill’s order.

“What can I get for you two?” She said in a rather shaky voice.

“I’ll have a gin and tonic please.” said the woman whose face I certainly didn’t recognize.

“Tru Blood O Negative.” He said loudly and clear enough that the whole bar was certain to hear. I saw Sookie freeze for a second but the instantly went back in to waitress mode and walked back up to the bar to place another order. She didn’t look upset or nervous in the least bit. Everyone was apparently expecting a big reaction out of her but when she had acted as if nothing was wrong they went back to whatever they were doing before. I glanced over at Bill’s table again, he looked a bit angry too. Like he expected Sookie to make a big scene and show her jealousy.

“Thundr can you warm up an O negative.” She said a little shaken still. I popped it into the microwave but didn’t bother to shake the bottle. Terry had already made the gin and tonic, I placed the Tru Blood on her tray and she was making her way back to their table. She set it down and walked away looking a thousand times calmer than she had a few seconds ago. Sookie was still acting as if the whole thing didn’t bother her a bit and that might’ve been the case. The rest of the night went by as usual once the crowd got used to Bill and his new date.

“Thundr, can you man the bar for five minutes I have to take a break.” Terry said as he put down the drink he was making. I nodded it, I knew Terry was having a hard time being around this much people for so long. I still had my iPod blasting so if anyone was to ask me for something I probably wouldn’t even hear it. Shawn Milke’s voice was separating me from the rest of the bar until the second vampire arrived. I didn’t bother to do anything out of the ordinary I just noticed when everyone had stopped moving again. I had never seen this vamp in Merlotte’s before. He was incredibly tall and had short-ish blonde hair. Terry was still no where to be seen so I had to stay at the bar when he approached.

“Tru Blood O Negative.” He said, luckily my iPod wasn’t loud enough that I didn’t hear him but I didn’t bother taking out the ear buds. I stuck it into the microwave and went back to messing with my iPod. Vampires didn’t seem to scare me as much as it did everyone else. Maybe it was because I was used to seeing them since I lived in a bigger city with my mom. Once I saw the light flashing on the microwave to signal that it was done I pulled out the Tru Blood and gave it a little shake. Sookie was now walking over to the bar and she looked less the happy to see this vampire she obviously knew. I wondered if this was Bill’s replacement or just someone to make him jealous and if it was the later it sure was working. I turned the radio up a little louder again, and it got everyone’s attention back to what they were doing but they were still cautious of this blonde vampire. Both Sookie and the blonde vamp looked over and I just stared back not sure if they were happy with what I had done or not. Just as I was about to take the order of one of the regular drunks Terry had came back in. He looked refreshed and was ready to handle the last few hours.

“Thanks Thundr, I really needed that.” Terry mumbled as he put his apron back on, he didn’t even seem to notice the blonde vamp standing right in front of him. I was about to sink back down to the ground where I would be hidden from view when someone called my name.

“Thundr.” I looked up and pulled out one side of my ear buds.

“Phantom of the Cineplex, at least someone in this bar has good taste in music.” The blonde vamp said. I looked at him weirdly he was the last person I expected would be a POTC fan. I wondered how he knew what I was listening to.

“Uh, thanks I guess.” Both Sookie and the vamp were looking at me expectantly. I waited for them to say something but they both just stared I made a motion with my hands and Sookie finally snapped out of it.

“Can I talk to you in Sam’s office?”

“Um, yeah.” I said as I stepped around Terry he gave me a “Be careful” look and I nodded. I wasn’t stupid, even though I wasn’t scared of them I knew I should at least be cautious.

“I wanted to know if you could do me a favor.” Sookie said once the door was closed, I was leaning against Sam’s desk while the blonde vamp and Sookie were both by the door. “It would just be for a couple nights and Eric would be there the whole time to make sure nothing happened to you. I would owe you for practically the rest of my life if you would do this for me.” She was rambling on and on not saying exactly what she wanted.

“What exactly would the favor be?” I asked hesitantly, I had turned down my iPod as it changed into a more harder song.

“In Fear and Faith not one of my favorites but they’re good enough.” The blonde vamp, Eric said. Both me and Sookie gave him another look but he didn’t seem to notice or care. “I don’t have all night Sookie.”

“Oh,” she said snapping out of it again. “I wanted to know if you could work a couple nights at a bar in Shreveport. Eric’s bar.” She said kinda slow making sure I knew what it was.

“And exactly what kind of bar is Eric’s bar?” I asked, he laughed which was the last thing I expected him to do.

“It’s not a strip joint if that’s what your thinking.” He said then looked back to Sookie.

“It’s a vampire bar, Fangtasia.” Once she said the name I couldn’t help but laugh. I covered my mouth when I saw their expressions. Sookie looked ready to laugh too but Eric looked a little offended. “All you would have to do is serve drinks, just like a waitress. That’s it just for a couple nights and Eric would always be there in case anything happened. So you’d be safe.”

I just looked at them for a couple seconds, Eric seemed bored but Sookie looked hopeful. “Why aren’t you going to work at Fangtasia?”

“I just can’t, I would if I could be but I can’t be seen there.” Sookie said pleading with me now. We weren’t exactly friends but I guess we were close enough for favor but there were certain problems with her plan.

“You do now that I’m not exactly old enough to get into a bar let alone work in one, I have school to go to everyday, and I have no way to get to Shreveport every night.” I said and this time it got Eric’s attention. He was looking at Sookie then back to me.

“How old are you?” He asked in a cold voice.

“Um, seventeen.” I mumbled then looked down to my feet.

“Sookie did you know this?” Eric asked frustrated. She shook her head then looked back to me. “I can come get you and take you to Fangtasia and you can work in the bar but school. We have to work something out.”

“I can’t just skip school.” I said to the both of them but they looked at me like I had just said I was from Mars. “My dad will go psycho. It’s the only thing he really cares about.”

“Eric?” Sookie said as she looked to him.

“I can glamour him into you staying home so you can sleep during the day but it would be easier if you just came to stay in Shreveport.” Eric said as if he was going out of his way when I was doing him a favor. “You start tomorrow.”

“Okay Thundr, you have no idea how much this will help me out.” Sookie said as she hugged me, I kinda went rigid under grasp. I wasn’t too comfortable when people touched me, I needed my personal space.

“I know we’re sort of friends but I don’t do favors for free and I have some conditions of my own.” I said as I pulled out of Sookie’s embrace.

“Name them.” Eric said going into business mode.

“I want to get paid and so you guys aren’t just going to screw me I want someone else to know about this just in case I end up dead.” I said completely serious.

“Okay, I’ll pay you 250 a night and you can keep whatever tips you get and who exactly would you like to know about our agreement.” Eric said, I quickly added up the figures in my head. I had no idea what a normal waitress’ salary was but this was good enough for me.

“Sam.” I said without even thinking about it.

“I don’t think you can tell Sam.” Sookie said. I just gave her a questioning look. “He hates anyone he knows even being around vampires. I don’t think he would want to know that you’re working in a vampire bar.”

“That’s exactly why I picked him, he would do something if this took a turn for the worse.” I said.

“Sookie, we have ourselves a very smart girl.” Eric said. “Go ahead tell Sam.”

“Okay, I will.” I said, we were having a staring contest. “When do you plan on glamouring my dad?”

“Now. Since you will be working tomorrow. Where is he?”

“I don’t even know. Probably at home since he’s not here.” I mumbled our staring contest was still in progress and neither of us were looking away.

“Ahem.” Sookie said I didn’t want to be the first to look away and thankfully I wasn’t. “Eric, focus.” Sookie said as she grabbed his chin and made him look away.

“Damn. I was going to win.” Eric said and I blinked a few times.

“Yes!” I shouted as I rubbed at my eyes a little. “Ha you lost.”

“I would’ve won if Sookie hadn’t interfered.” he said looking mad. “Let’s get this over with.” he said walking out of the back entrance of the bar. I was following up until I noticed Sookie wasn’t coming.

“You’re not coming?” I asked.

“No, I’m still working and my tables are probably wondering where I went. Eric will take you there. I’ll tell Terry and Sam you left.” She said flashing me a smile before she walked back into the bar.
♠ ♠ ♠
This wasn't very good but the next one will be. I promise.