Ice, Ice Baby!

Two

The ice was thick. As his boots scraped along, Gerard’s hips twisted and moved in sync. His legs felt solid. They were aching, itching, burning. The arena was empty. He was the only one skating. It wasn’t unusual. He was used to being alone, he was used to working himself to the bone. He liked it. He thought.

Gerard continued skating around. Twirling, sliding, swaying to the beat inside his head. He loved the way he could forget about almost anything when skating. He had participated in the sport for so long, he had learnt to block things out whilst doing so. He could forget about any audience who could be watching him, or any worry in his mind. He loved that feeling.

Gerard also loved the feeling of being free, as that’s how he felt when he was on the ice. He felt as if he could beat anyone, anything. It was an exhilarating feeling speeding around on the slippery ice, sliding and gliding around.

Gerard Way was 21. He had been figure skating since he was 5. His parents had wanted him to participate in some kind of sport, and Gerard being the feminine boy he was, chose ice skating. He said the shapes the pro’s made looked ‘pretty’. His mother had clasped her hands together in joy, where as his father had sighed and walked off.

That’s where his problem started. With his father. He despised that his son was involved in a ‘gay’ sport. Apparently to his father, it wasn’t even classed as such. But Gerard didn’t care, the first time he had step foot on the ice, he felt at home. His mother went to watch Gerard in all of his competitions, and watched as her son quickly became a rising star. He was talented. He had rhythm.

The young skater had progressed dramatically through his teens, as he ignored his fathers snide comments, focused on his mothers proud smiles. He loved what he did and wouldn’t give it up for a single person, not even his homophobic father.

Through his teens, Gerard learnt that what his father had always predicted him to be, was not so far off. He found himself staring at the other boys in his skating classes. He found himself watching their hips as they moved, mesmerised. Gerard discovered he was infact gay. It didn’t bother him much. Gerard was comfortable with his skating and the way he looked at boys. He wasn’t ashamed, it was who he was. His mother was thrilled.

From that young age, Gerard realised that he needed to please himself, not others. That way, he wouldn’t get hurt and he would perform much better. Gerard had refused to speak to his father once he turned eighteen, and really, his mother didn’t blame him. He concentrated on his career, the thing that he wanted to do the most; Skate.

Gerard sighed, throwing his arms down to his side. He gained speed, gliding on the ice smoothly. He knew he needed to perfect his routine. It was essential to do so now. He had an important competition in a month, and if he didn’t do so now, he would loose. Moving his arms, he sped up once again. A corner was coming up, where he was meant to spin swiftly. Gerard took a deep breath, positioned himself and let go.

Thump. He hit the ground.

Gerard groaned, throwing his fists down onto the cold ice. He just couldn’t master the move. He couldn’t do it. He had tried and tried but nothing ever worked. He had well and truly fucked up his routine.

Cold. The ice was cold against the skaters ass. He shifted slightly, still gritting his teeth, fists clenched. He was frustrated, with himself and the routine. So he sat there on the ice. Waiting for the point where he knew he wouldn’t crack up if he skated, where he wouldn’t break down and blame himself for not knowing the moves he needed to know.

At one point, Gerard saw a small figure ease onto the ice, around the other side of the arena. He glanced, trying to spot who the character was. As the person moved quicker, he realised who it was. It was Frank, the guy he had helped up. He was coming right for him.

“Hey, need a hand?” Frank offered. Gerard sighed and extended his hands towards the other guy. He didn’t need help, he knew now know to get up from a tumble on his own, but accepted the help.

“Thanks for that, I would have sat there all night and frozen to death” Gerard smiled. He really was a nice guy he thought, somehow he made Gerard feel less stressed, more at ease with the situation.

“Hey no problem, you helped me the other day, returning the favour” Frank stated with a goofy smile spreading across his thin lips. They were moist, sparking, almost like the ice did so.

“So what are you doing here?” Gerard asked Frank. They began to skate around, as he waited for the answer.

“Oh, I‘m just scaling around really. I figured its good exercise, I need to shape up.”

Gerard scanned over Frank’s body, he did not need to tone up, not one bit. He was perfect. Gerard hated how he had become, his legs were defined, but his top half wasn’t. The skating had toned up his leg muscles, and he despised that. Frank certainly didn’t need to do so.

“Hey, you don’t need to do that! You look great” Gerard blushed, hard. He shouldn’t have said that.

“Thanks, I think” Frank retorted, stumbling over his words slightly.

So they continued to skate around, Gerard liked it. He didn’t have to show off, do any special moves. It was just a simple skate, something he hadn’t done in a while. He didn’t realise how great these could be, without the tricks and turns laced in. He really was enjoying himself, especially Frank’s company.