You Belong With Me

1/1

I was sitting on my bed, drawing in my sketch book when I heard muffled yelling. I looked out my window to see my best frined and next door neighbor, Matt Flyzik, arguing on the phone with his disgusting girlfriend. I watched as he dejectedly hung up the phone and sat down on his bed, facing the window towards me before turning the page in my sketch book and writing down a message. I held up my sign that read 'You ok?' just as he looked up. He smiled weakly before grabbing a pad of paper, a marker so I waited patiently for his response.

'Tired of drama', was all he wrote.

'I'm sorry :(' was my response and he just shrugged as I went to write down something else. I looked up once more to see that Matt had closed his blinds and I held up my 'I love you' sign to no one. It's true, I love him. I grew up with him, I'm his best friend and to my displeasure it seems that's all I'll ever be. We have everything in common right down to our favorite bands, unlike that girlfriend of his.

I pushed my thoughts away for a moment and decided to play some music. I went over to my stereo and hit play, smiling when Nice Guys Finish Last by Cobra Starship came on. As the first verse finished I found myself starting to dance around my room, singing into my brush as if it were a microphone. I did this throughout the entire cd, unaware that Matt had opened his blinds a little bit and saw me dancing around like an idiot.

After exhausting myself from dancing, I shut off my stereo and climbed into bed, not at all ready for the next day at school.

X!X!X!X!X!X!X!X!X!X!X!X!X!

The next day I woke up early and dressed myself in skinny jeans, a spider-man t-shirt, plaid lo-top converse and my glasses. I let my naturally curly hair down instead of it's usual ponytail. I grabbed my messenger from my desk along before heading downstairs to get some breakfast. I greeted my mom, ate some cereal before heading out to the bench outside my house to wait for the bus.

As I was sitting on the bench, I pulled out my copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I've read the entire series but this was my favorite one and I couldn't help rereading it. I'm a nerd, a geek, and of course unpopular. I didn't care about being noticed by anybody. I just wanted to be noticed by Matt.

As if he knew I was outside, he came out of his house and sat down next to me on the bench. I closed my book and looked up at him as he pushed some of my hair out of my face and put it behind my ear. I couldn't help but hold his gaze for a few seconds.

“So did you fix things with Wendy?”, I asked, clearing my thoart out of nervousness.

“For now, yeah.”, he sighed.

“You don't seem so happy about that.”, I remarked, noting his sullen tone.

“I am, it's just, she got mad over some joke I said. Even though I explained repeatedly that it was only a joke and she just didn't get it.”, he explained. I smiled weakly, knowing that she just didn't get his kind of humor like I did.

“Why are you even with her?”, I asked. I never did understand why.

“Well, she's hot.”, he said simply. We were both quiet for a second before bursting out laughing.

“No, seriously, why?”, I asked again still laughing a bit.

“She's nice once you get to know her. And she cares about me. It's nice to be cared about.”, he replied nonchalantly.

“I care about you.”, I told him, almost resentfully.

“As a best friend, I know.”, he replied. I had to bite my tongue in order to not blurt out my secret. We sat there quietly for awhile but it wasn't uncomfortable, it never was when I was with him.

“You deserve better.”, I told him quietly after a while.

“Maybe.”, he replied just as quietly. After he said that, Wendy pulled up in her red convertible and Matt jumped up quickly. “See ya later, Cory.”, he said before climbing into her car. I waved slightly before having to watch Wendy attach her lips to Matt's before pushing him off and glaring at me.

I sighed as they sped down the street and thought about how Matt belonged with me. Then the bus pulled up and I got on before heading to school.

My classes were going by slowly, save for the conversations I got with Matt. I just couldn't get my mind off him lately. I wish he would just realize how perfect we would be together and even more so, I just wished he knew how I felt about him. But could I really risk ruining our friendship?

X!X!X!X!X!X!X!X!X!X!X!X!X!

Tonight was the big football game and of course, the only reason I was going was because Matt's the star quaterback. I stood in the bleachers and cheered loudly for Matt along with my other classmates. Every time the cheerleaders would do a cheer I rolled my eyes because Wendy was one of them.

She really disgusted me. She was a terrible person and she didn't treat Matt right at all. I wish I could just deck her in the face, but then Matt would probably get pissed off at me.

After the game was won and over, I watched as Matt ran over to where Wendy was only to see her hanging all over one of his teammates. My heart sank for him as I watched him confront her and their argument start up. In the end Matt just walked away, shaking his head and I knew that he was probably torn up inside. I felt terrible for him and even worse because I knew it was very possible that she had been cheating on him. If I had tried to warn him, he probaly wouldn't have believed me.

I left the bleachers and tried to find Matt but after looking every where, I gave up and decided to head home. I figured he probably wanted some time alone anyway so I just headed home.

X!X!X!X!X!X!X!X!X!X!X!X!X!

I was sitting on my bed again with my sketch pad in my lap, and looked up to see Matt looking over at me all dressed in his tux. Tonight was the prom and everyone was going. Everyone but me. Why should I bother when the one guy I wanted to ask me, didn't?

He then held up his pad which read, “You going tonight?”. I shook my head no and he looked a bit sad, probably because he still wasn't over Wendy. I watched as he wrote down another note and showed me, “Wish you were.”. I smiled weakly before he waved goodbye and left his room.

I pulled out my “I love you” note I had written him. I stared at it for a few moments before jumping up from my bed and running to my closet. I rifled through everything until I found the black prom dress that I had bought a few weeks earlier, just in case Matt happened to ask me.

Figuring that I might not have another chance to tell him, I changed into my prom dress and grabbed my note before hurrying downstairs. I asked my mom to drive me to the prom, much to her surprise and excitement. I felt the butterflies in my stomach as we approached the prom but I didn't have any second thoughts. I needed to do this.

I walked into the prom under the archway, my eyes searching for Matt only. Sure, there were a bunch of people looking at me in surprise. I mean, I didn't have my glasses on and I was wearing a dress and heels. That was rare for me.

I finally spotted Matt just as he turned and saw me. He looked shocked, to say the least but smiled and began walking towards me. I smiled at himbefore Wendy jumped out in front of him. She blocked his path and began apologizing before wrapping her arms around his neck. My smile faltered before Matt pushed her off him and kept walking towards me.

“Wow.”, he breathed as soon as we were standing in front of each other. I smiled and blushed a little before bringing up my note in front of me, unfolding it and showing him “I love you”. He smiled and reached into his tux before pulling out a note of his own, unfolding and showing me “I love you”. I smiled broadly as we both stepped towards each other again.

“You belong with me.”, I whispered before he chuckled softly. We both smiled before I reached up to place my lips on his. I let my eyes close as fireworks went off in our kiss.

I loved him. He loved me. We belong together.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments?

Cory Parks- http://www.polyvore.com/cory_parks-ybwm/set?id=12385058
Wendy- http://www.polyvore.com/wendy-ybwm/set?id=12383732
Matt Flyzik- http://www.polyvore.com/matt_flyzik-ybwm/set?id=12385499